Friends, it's a sad day

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Personally I see little problem with either vehicle; if you like it its an upgrade.
As an aside; in my experience automatic transmissions should be expected to fail. I have only had one (admittedly in used vehicles) reach 150,000 miles before needing to be pulled and rebuilt; my manual transmissions go more than 200,000 miles including the clutch without service except for fluid change... one rancher that I know simply considers automatic transmission changes as part of his regular maintenance schedule (I believe he said every 60,000 miles for road vehicles).
Immediately after getting my Explorer, before putting plates on it, I pulled the automatic transmission and had it rebuilt as a preventative measure.
I vote to drop in a better transmission with extra fluid cooling and resurrect the 'Burb; I would only get a junkyard automatic transmission if it was going too be rebuilt before installation.

Enjoy!

Dalko43

Explorer
As an aside; in my experience automatic transmissions should be expected to fail. I have only had one (admittedly in used vehicles) reach 150,000 miles before needing to be pulled and rebuilt; my manual transmissions go more than 200,000 miles including the clutch without service except for fluid change... one rancher that I know simply considers automatic transmission changes as part of his regular maintenance schedule (I believe he said every 60,000 miles for road vehicles).
Immediately after getting my Explorer, before putting plates on it, I pulled the automatic transmission and had it rebuilt as a preventative measure.
I vote to drop in a better transmission with extra fluid cooling and resurrect the 'Burb; I would only get a junkyard automatic transmission if it was going too be rebuilt before installation.

Not all automatic transmissions are the same. The transmissions put in Toyota/Lexus 4x4's are, generally-speaking, very stout and reliable. With proper maintenance a lot of them can outlast the vehicle itself (especially if you're living in the northeast where road salt often kills bodies and frames before the engine and powertrain goes). I've got family and friends with well north of 150k miles on their original Toyota transmissions and they are still working fine.

If we were talking about a Chrysler automatic, or a generic transmission built 10-15 years ago, I'd agree with you. But a modern and well-built automatic transmission can be every bit as long lasting and reliable as a manual. The OP has a solid and globally-proven 4x4 platform; excepting the forces of chance, I don't think the OP has anything to worry about with the vehicle's transmission.

boss324

Observer
I vote keep both and make your burb a dedicated off-road car camping explorer rig! I like the Lexus 570 but I personally would hate to get it all scratched up overlanding even used they are $$$. You can easily drop in a 4L80 transmission out of any GMT800 2500 series truck/van/suv and a 14 bolt (weak link on 1500) with 5.5" suspension and coilovers for $6-7k and keep the LX as your family hauler, highway cruiser and mall crawler! I bought my Suburban new and waited 12-13 years before using it for overlanding. Suburban is still nice but pintstriping is just part of this hobby. It's just nice to know I am not making a payment while getting through tight switchbacks, rubbing my plastic running boards and love tapping my undercarriage. Either way good luck bud!

9e94967668e2fd586249d1720862d07f.jpg
ed0439bda2695e89ae39faa882c83b44.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I'm a little surprised by the negative vibes in this thread to be honest. But hey, it's the internet.

Well we do seem to be the underdog's in this community, but I wouldn't take it as bad vibes toward you or your choice, just general disdain for imported vehicles lol.

Regardless this stinks man. Believe me I've had more than my share of watching my pride and joy roll away on a flatbed. It led to me pulling our camp trailer with my wife's AWD Escalade... so I guess I have been where you are (and still am).

It's all about what you want to do. If you intend to wheel that Luxeota (no negativity intended, they are awesome) and can back it financially if it breaks then go for it. But if the LX is more of a family vehicle then you may want to keep the 'ol burb for wheelin and fun stuff.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I vote keep both and make your burb a dedicated off-road car camping explorer rig! I like the Lexus 570 but I personally would hate to get it all scratched up overlanding even used they are $$$. You can easily drop in a 4L80 transmission out of any GMT800 2500 series truck/van/suv and a 14 bolt (weak link on 1500) with 5.5" suspension and coilovers for $6-7k and keep the LX as your family hauler, highway cruiser and mall crawler! I bought my Suburban new and waited 12-13 years before using it for overlanding. Suburban is still nice but pintstriping is just part of this hobby. It's just nice to know I am not making a payment while getting through tight switchbacks, rubbing my plastic running boards and love tapping my undercarriage. Either way good luck bud!

9e94967668e2fd586249d1720862d07f.jpg
ed0439bda2695e89ae39faa882c83b44.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Love the stance on yours boss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior