Frirstone Air Bags + 1000 Pound Camper = Broken Tundra Frame

beef tits

Payload on mine is 1850 lbs. 2010 long bed regular cab. I run 1000 lbs OVER that payload regularly, that includes off roading and twisting the frame enough to pop turnbuckles on my FWC. No frame issues. Been doing it for 2 years, ~22k miles. OME springs and airbags too. Bags don't need more than 30 PSI to level it out. Rear axle flexes over rocks like a ballerina and it's a f'n tank.

Now, doing some stupid ******** like putting an 8' camper in a 5' bed on stock springs, cranking your airbags up to 80 PSI to account for all that backload and lack of spring? That's a very different scenario and I could see that being an issue.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
... the trucks realistically are rated for ~1000 lbs in the bed....that is Toyota engineer constraints, not the auto shop guy that gave the OP good sound advice, it may not be the frame per-se, but it's certainly a risk.

More likely it's the marketing, warranty, and liability departments. 1/2 tons in the US are all sprung and tired for unloaded street duty, and since the sticker only applies to stock configuration, that's always going to be low. Fortunately in the US you can upgrade and load them up as much as you want. The sticker is a CYA for Toyota, but it's not a legal requirement for the owner.

Being sensible is making appropriate upgrades so the truck handles well. As for durability, plenty of guys load these up and fly over whoops in the desert. If the frame and axles couldn't take that we would have heard by now, since the last gen didn't really change for 15 years.

I agree that all else being equal, I'd rather have a heavier duty truck... but Toyota doesn't make one, and I figured I'd have less issues with a Tundra.

Payload on mine is 1850 lbs. 2010 long bed regular cab. I run 1000 lbs OVER that payload regularly, that includes off roading and twisting the frame enough to pop turnbuckles on my FWC. No frame issues. Been doing it for 2 years, ~22k miles. OME springs and airbags too. Bags don't need more than 30 PSI to level it out. Rear axle flexes over rocks like a ballerina and it's a f'n tank.

Plenty of guys have done that for a few hundred thousand miles. The flexy frames (which are flexy by design) are a mixed bag offroad... and with a camper I'd rather have a stiff frame; simpler and less camper stress. Your suspension is the right way to do it I think; bags with modest PSI spread out the load vs relying entirely on springs.

HNewman

Lot of good info here! I'd like to overload the tundra because its the truck i have and I know it has been maintained.

As I promised some pics of the Hellwig Springs:

pGa9WG7.jpg

YUWe6cP.jpg

You tell me which is before and after?

Handling did improve greatly but the truck clearly needs more... The camper is a little ugly on my truck but its kept me warm in January in Alaska. I've fixed it up to sell soon in the spring.

If not for fixing other cars and braking my hand I would already have a better solution in place by now.

I like how this guy handled it!

The Artisan

Adventurer
That's super tempting! I've been sitting on $1500 for year trying to justify new leaf springs from Alcan here in Colorado. $650 is much easier to swallow.
I have been working with Lew at Alcan for our fuso custom leafs. Great guy and will continue to buy from the Co
Kevin

HNewman

You are the winner! The bad pictures don't do it any favors.

My Idea is that a huge cabover and lots of weight in front of the rear axle will reduce overall stress. However I want to load up with a ton of insulation, battery bank, water, gear, snow and ice sometimes, and so on. Could be 2000lbs pretty quick.

rruff

Explorer
Could be 2000lbs pretty quick.

Yes, I realized that getting to 2k lbs is surprisingly easy.

You can build a light but well insulated camper though... that part isn't hard. And you can put more of that weight forward. If you don't need to sit in the rear seats you can take them out and store a lot in there.

tacollie

Glamper
I have been working with Lew at Alcan for our fuso custom leafs. Great guy and will continue to buy from the Co
Kevin
They make a great product. I've used them in the past. In my friend circle there is a SAS Nissan hard body, a Tundra with FWC, and 2 Samurais currently running them. The problem is the older I get the cheaper I get?

The Artisan

Adventurer
They make a great product. I've used them in the past. In my friend circle there is a SAS Nissan hard body, a Tundra with FWC, and 2 Samurais currently running them. The problem is the older I get the cheaper I get?
He is not the cheapest but my client wants the best ?
Kevin

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

Would you mind posting a pic or two of your rig? I’m in the process of selling my current hardside camper and shopping for a lighter more basic pop-up. I’d love to sell my 3500 and run a Tundra, but I think I’ll still be pushing it with what I’m looking at. I’ll probably be 2,500 lbs with camper and gear on-board. I wouldn’t be using it for anything more technical than fire roads, but I don’t want to waste my time with a dead end idea. Running around with an empty 1 ton 320 days of the year is getting old.

Would you mind posting a pic or two of your rig? I’m in the process of selling my current hardside camper and shopping for a lighter more basic pop-up. I’d love to sell my 3500 and run a Tundra, but I think I’ll still be pushing it with what I’m looking at. I’ll probably be 2,500 lbs with camper and gear on-board. I wouldn’t be using it for anything more technical than fire roads, but I don’t want to waste my time with a dead end idea. Running around with an empty 1 ton 320 days of the year is getting old.
I have a 2012 rock warrior 6.5ft bed, OME 3'' lift all around, rear TRD sway bar,35'' Toyo MT's, sliders, skid plates, firestone bags. I run 2k-2250lbs in the back of mine all summer basically, all over Colorado/NM/WY/UT rough roads. I have a 7ft hardside(import model which is smaller than most hardsides)
I just passed 200k on the rig, no issues besides regular maintenance and horrible MPG.
I had a 2004 Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins w/ 6sp before this. It handled the camper much better, but like you I was driving that thing daily and it sucked. I am very happy I switched to my Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior