From a TJ to a LJ?

Warhead

Adventurer
well I missed out on my first try, oh well I am going to keep looking. I have a lead on a LJ "X" that is local although I`d prefer a rubi

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Cutting up an LJ is just nuts. Whey just not sell it for the premium they are going for and buy a TJ? It would have saved a lot of time and money.

ddog45

Adventurer
I thought my built lj would sell right away but seems they are only desireable right now in states other than colorado. Oh well I will just keep the sweet thing and enjoy it. I may have a line on a used 5.7 motor so maybe it will be a 370 horsepower lj now that would be sweet.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have fun finding a LJ Rubicon, I can't seam to find a decent one around here.

I went from a 04 TJ Rubi to a 06 LJ to a JK 2 door and than to a 4 door JK, and than back to a TJ! Now I have an XJ! Yea I know I have issues!:Wow1: My favorite is a toss up between the TJ and LJ Rubi.

Okay, I'm dying to hear the story behind this!!!

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I have had both a TJ and a LJ. The LJ isn't that much longer. If you can sell your TJ and buy the LJ for little or nothing out of pocket it might be worth it. If you are going to start payments all over again, I wouldn't do it. There's about a foot of extra space behind the rear seat on the LJ and a little more legroom for the rear passengers.

If you have your heart set on a LJ, definetly go the Rubicon route. They are really nice machines. You should be able to find a stock one with low mileage for $20k.

TheMike

Adventurer
...The LJ isn't that much longer. ..There's about a foot of extra space behind the rear seat on the LJ and a little more legroom for the rear passengers.
Ryan, you are nuts man. There is WAY more room in the LJ versus the TJ. Night and day. Useless space in a TJ but totally functional and more than enough for moderate loading in the LJ.

I had an LJ Rubi. Built to the max. Now I'm of the the 4Dr JK Rubi family. We outgrew the LJ but absolutely love the JKU! Zero regrets at any level.

BTW, I tried to load the JK with the exact same packing arrangements as the LJ. Woa! No could do. There is so much more room in the JKU versus the LJ that the stuff couldn't be secured in the same fation. I still have to figure out the best way to load the JK.

TheMike

Adventurer
Oh yea, ddog45 is a friend of mine. He's got a great rig as I've been part of almost all it's bringing up. They are strong and worth every penny.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Ryan, you are nuts man. There is WAY more room in the LJ versus the TJ. Night and day. Useless space in a TJ but totally functional and more than enough for moderate loading in the LJ.

TJ Specs
Length: 154.9 in.
Width: 68.3 in.
Height: 71.2 in.
Wheel Base: 93.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 8.6 in.
Curb Weight: 3438 lbs.
Gross Weight: 4450 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 42.5 in.
Front Hip Room: 51.8 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 50.8 in.
Rear Head Room: 39.7 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 57.3 in.
Rear Hip Room: 42.7 in.
Front Leg Room: 40.9 in.
Rear Leg Room: 35.3 in.
Luggage Capacity: 11.9 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 47 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 4

Unlimited Specs
Length: 167 in.
Width: 66.7 in.
Height: 70.9 in.
Wheel Base: 103.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 8.3 in.
Curb Weight: 3721 lbs.
Gross Weight: 4600 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 41.9 in.
Front Hip Room: 51.8 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 50.8 in.
Rear Head Room: 40.6 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 57.3 in.
Rear Hip Room: 43.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.1 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.7 in.
Luggage Capacity: 28.2 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 63 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 4

The Unlimited is 12" longer. It is not that much bigger! Sure the cargo space is larger if you fold up the rear seat, but it's not that much more!

JakeMate

Adventurer
Can someone give me the short version of the different letter designations, years, and features of the Wrangler models? I've always been confused with TJ, LJ, short wheelbase, long wheelbase, etc. :Wow1:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Can someone give me the short version of the different letter designations, years, and features of the Wrangler models? I've always been confused with TJ, LJ, short wheelbase, long wheelbase, etc. :Wow1:

Try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Jeep+two+letter+codes

:)

In short, The CJ was the earlier Wrangler body style (leaf springs, round lights), then came the YJ (leaf springs, square headlights), then the TJ (coil springs & round again), then the two door long wheel TJ Unlimited, dubbed unofficially the LJ, now the TJ's been replaced with the JK.

njjeepthing

Explorer

WRANGLER
1986-1995 YJ
1997-2006 TJ
2004-2006 The TJ Long Wheel base is the LJ
2007-present - JK

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I went from a 05 TJ "X" to a 06 Rubi LJ

If I was a single guy the TJ would suit my needs.

The LJ is by far superior in every way for me. One thing people forget is that the back seat on an LJ is mounted a few inches farther back so that means more leg room for the kids. With our roof rack we feel its the ultimate family adventure vehicle. We can bring enough gear to camp for a week and not be crammed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78