From a well built Tacoma to a stock Tundra

mkitchen

Explorer
Well I traded in my Tacoma and sold my Adventure Trailer Horizon and bought a new Tundra and a Jayco Baja with a deck to carry a couple of dual sport bikes. So I went from this:
294j435.jpg

To this:
2lcv39v.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I know that the Jayco is not going to go to the places that the AT went and the Tundra is certainly not going to go the places that the Tacoma went. The Tacoma was very well modified and went over a load of country that surprised a lot of Jeep folk. The Tundra has a 20" longer wheelbase and I don't plan on doing any modifications to it as I did the Tacoma. So at best the Tundra is going to be something of a Sof-troader rather than an Off-roader. At this point I only plan on adding some overload springs for the rear to deal with the extra weight of the trailer.

Where I used to like long, multi-day back country trips where I camped at another spot every night, I now like to make a base camp and do day trips from that base. These are the types of trips that I used to scoff at when others did them and now I am in that catagory. Many times I have a real longing for a well built truck and trailer and have to make due with what I have. This type of camping/traveling is going to be a bit frustrating when I see a spot at the end of the day that I would like to camp and not be able to stay there.

I will admit though that I do like having the option of taking the dual sport bikes out or doing a day trip from camp in the Tundra. I can also sense some vanity coming into the issue when I see a well set up overlander and I am in my Tundra and no longer fit in with those rigs. Now I am just an old guy with a pickup sitting in the parking lot. The Tacoma was obviously set up and it got a lot of possitive comments.

I still have Reuben, my 71 Ford F250 and it will now be my overlander of choice.
2ho8l5d.jpg

It can go most anywhere that the Tacoma went but again, it looks like an old fisherman's truck rather than an overlander, but that is what I like about it. Ragardless, this is a huge change in life style for Mo and I and it should be interesting to see how we do. Well we shall see how this new set up goes.
Mikey

p nut

butter
Nice set up. I think your current set up is more versatile and capable. I'm over my "full size" rock crawling phase (full size meaning anything bigger than a RZR). Too impatient to go so slowly over an obstacle that I can get over in 1/4 of the time on my ATV or better yet, my bicycle. That's a cool F250 as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
Congrats! Looks great!

I prefer base camping and exploring on the bikes, it is much faster and more comfortable. Mile after mile of washbaords kinda blows in the truck...on the bike you can barely feel them. Plus you can get the bikes into spots that the Tacoma can only dream of. You can always camp off the bikes too, go where no 4WD vehicle can go. See some gnarly looking goat trail in the corner of your eye going off into the distance, take it!

Wouldn't worry about the vanity thing, I prefer stealth and being under the radar...the one thing I do not like about my somewhat built Tacoma, is the attention it gets. Keep on looking at GTRV Ford Transits...extremely stealthy when the top is closed. Looks like you should be shuttling senior citizens around rather than camping... :D

transit1.jpg

Love that bumpside, waaaay cooler than a Tacoma. Still wish I had my '76. Have this urge to get a short bed F100 and drop that new 2.8 Cummins in it.

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks for the resonses. I have only used the tent trailer (now named PopTart) one time with a 10 day trip to Moab and we really had a great time and I do believe that Mo enjoyed it more with the base camp and less travel. My reasons are; that I can forcus more on seeing an area more thoroughly if I am there for a longer period and camp is already set up when we return each day.

I like the idea of a van and didn't really think about it when I bought the pickup. A van with a light trailer for the bikes would have worked out well too. I definitely like doing more back country travel on the bikes. You just see so much more and it is a lot more fun riding than driving. I too have noticed how a bike smoothes out the road. I will know by the end of this year how much I like this type of travel. I plan on doing another two week or more trip to Colorado with this set up this year and I am thinking about squating in some northern Arizona National Forest for a month or more too. We shall see.

Reuben is more for trips by myself but I do bring the bike with me on a VersaHauler rack. Lately I have been going out and making camp for a couple of days and just riding the area, although most recently, I have been lookng out at the snow and rain and getting grumpy about being stuck at home. I look forward to the warm and sunny days in the near future.
Mikey

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome!

What I don't like about camping on the move, is setting up and tearing down camp every day. Much prefer driving to a place, and just chilling for a couple few days or a week. Then going into depth exploring that area. The bikes are great for doing that, you can just plunk along or get into something real hairy. Come back to a already setup camp and have a nice hot shower and meal, relax and not be in hurry to get to the next place.

We had a VW Westy for about 8 years...loved that thing, have been missing it lately, probably why I have been looking at vans. p-nut and I have discussed this, and always come to the same conclusion...vans get expensive real quick, and real hard to beat the versatility of a truck. Once you convert a van in to a camper, there is no going back. With a pickup, have quite a few choices with the open bed.

We always had old Fords growing up, both in our construction business and person vehicles. Have a soft spot for them, even though I have been driving Toyotas for the past 25 years.

Love Colorado, we have been going there for years to mountain bike and ride dirt bikes.

Is Baja getting a ton of rain right now? You should head down there and go sit on the beach for a week or 4. ;)

mkitchen

Explorer
Good Points

You make a good point on the issue of the versatility of a truck. I can have all the storage boxes out of Reuben in less than 30 minutes, but I do tend to leave them in. We just recently rode down to Mexico on the Victory and had a good time but I don't think I am going back till the petrol protests are over. There were some days that there was no fuel in town at all. It should be back on track soon though. Also, this last and the current storm are dumping a lot of water and there is a fair amount of flooding. But I do plan on going back south soon.

I think my next trip is going to be on the dual sports. Mo and I want to ride to Copper Canyon.
Mikey

p nut

butter
Yep, and don't forget that the Tundra isn't a pavement-only truck. There are a TON of trails you can take that on between your state and mine to the north (Utah). There are so many places I want to explore in So. Utah, and I'm not hesitant to take my F150. Of course, I'll have my bike or ATV in tow, just in case. :)
_
...We had a VW Westy for about 8 years...loved that thing, have been missing it lately, probably why I have been looking at vans. p-nut and I have discussed this, and always come to the same conclusion...vans get expensive real quick, and real hard to beat the versatility of a truck. Once you convert a van in to a camper, there is no going back. With a pickup, have quite a few choices with the open bed...

I would definitely love a van one day. But it's definitely a 3rd vehicle that will see minimal mileage. It's hard to justify some $40k piece of depreciating asset just sitting there for the majority of the year...

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The whole West is getting some much needed rain and snow, breaking some snow records here in Idaho. Actually has been nice...can quite literally jump on the skis right out the front door instead of heading up into the mountains. Haven't really felt the need to travel actually. Getting an awesome winter this year! Might have to stay low longer this year and explore the desert...gonna be awhile before we can access the high country on the scooters.

As p nut said, your Tundra can go a lot of places, think it will surprise you.

Always wanted to do Copper Canyon, never got around to it when I lived in Tucson...we tended to run to Baja instead. Might be awhile before I get back down there. Now in Idaho, I want to explore here, MT, WY, WA, OR, Western Canada, and Alaska. So many places to see, so little time!

p nut

butter
Yeah, I'll be heading up north this summer. We were planning to go up to Glacier, because we've never been before, but with the Canadian NP all being free to access, we may have to go even a bit further north (Banff?).
_
We're getting some good dumpage here, too. Unfortunately, haven't been up to the resorts yet. Mainly time (fam, work), but also, hard time swallowing $100 for a lift ticket (but usually multiply by 2 or 3 with other family members going)). Fortunately, I can still take the fat bike out, but days like this past weekend with 2' of heavy snow, no way of getting around without skis or snowshoes. I wasn't a big fan of snowshoes, and backcountry skiing still makes me nervous. I was thinking of trying these out. Kind of like waxless XC skis. I've never tele skied, so it would be new, but I like the fact I can climb stuff like on snowshoes, but can also ski the downhills. Seems like almost best of both worlds.

https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/04f0cd19-f819-a92a-704d-7da0d9a5c575
_
oackar-600x600.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That is the plan for us this summer, skate over to Yellowstone, up to Glacier, Coeur d'aLene and back...maybe sneak over to Canada...we will see how time plays out. This will be the first time in years that she is able to go with me on a long trip. Was too busy finishing up school and starting the new job at the College. Taking a much needed break this summer.

Those skis look cool, be a great compromise between snow shoes and XC skis. I bought some waxless XC skis off CL...with boots and poles for $75, can't really beat that! Have a snowboard too, but I am little scared that I'll screw my back up again, not being able to walk more than a 1/2 mile for 9 months has made me timid. Not to mention...don't really feel like paying for lift tickets, I hear you on that! Need to buy a new lighter chainsaw and mount for blow downs when riding season gets here. Going to be a mess up there I am guessing. My old saw and mount works...but it is HEAVY, my back can't take it anymore.

The XC skis are a lot of work, and I am not very good at it... but they make my back feel great, getting ready to head out here in a bit...get at least an hour in before I have to go into work this evening.

Paddy

Adventurer
Sold my '12 Tacoma and sure didn't regret it. What a pos. I can't get why people are so interested in those things.

mkitchen

Explorer
Paddy,
I am surprised. I have not met too many people that do not like the Tacoma. As PlainJane stated, why don't you like the Tacoma? What did you replace it with?

Clutch
From Tucson to Idaho, eh? That is big change. I went the other way and moved from eastern OR to AZ. That was thirty years ago and now I am a confirmed desert rat. With that said though, I am going to ride my KLR up to AK and the Yukon this summer. I also have not been on a pair of skinny skis since my move from OR and that was when I was not skinny but not as big as I am now. Maybe I should start again.

P nut
You are in a good state to be in for back country travel, as is Clutch and myself too. I spent 10 days in Moab last summer and loved it. I will be back. It is good to hear that we are all getting a lot of snow fall. It might keep us out of the mountains for a bit longer but the precip is needed and appreciated.
Mikey

Clutch

<---Pass
Paddy,
I am surprised. I have not met too many people that do not like the Tacoma. As PlainJane stated, why don't you like the Tacoma? What did you replace it with?

Mine has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, getting ready to turn over 340,000 miles....still on its' original engine and trans. While not perfect it has been filling the needs for quite some time. There are times I want a bigger truck, but I make the Tacoma work.

The VW Westy I had was a '73...both the better half and me, do like vintage vehicles...she said the other night we need to get another...might just be an old Ford truck, have had a vision of doing an old F-Series with an Alaskan done up all vintage style.

https://kurt-bangert-a5m5.squarespace.com/tim-mcmaster-1958-ford-f100

Probably never happen, my practical side always wins.

Clutch
From Tucson to Idaho, eh? That is big change. I went the other way and moved from eastern OR to AZ. That was thirty years ago and now I am a confirmed desert rat. With that said though, I am going to ride my KLR up to AK and the Yukon this summer. I also have not been on a pair of skinny skis since my move from OR and that was when I was not skinny but not as big as I am now. Maybe I should start again.

Yep, big change, originally moved to AZ from PA when I was 21, lived in Tucson for 21.5 years, we have been here in Idaho for 2.5. Liked Arizona 6 months out of the year, the summers were killing me. Needed a place that had less extremes. Can dress for the cold, not the heat. Main reason we picked Idaho was for all of the year round out door activities, quite literally right out the front door. That and it is closer to the places I want to explore as I said earlier.

Spent the last 20 years exploring the Southwest and Baja, next 20 year plan is exploring here and the surrounding States.

Skinny skis...um yeah, I don't find them very fun at all, but using them to get of the house for a quick something to do and to help with my bad back. If I was smart like p nut, I would put those fandangled skis on CL and buy a Fat Bike.

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Mickey,

I did a similar vehicle life change event a couple of years ago when my 25 year old, built Wrangler was killed by a drunk driver. I ended up with a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. The Av is no where near as capable off road as my Jeep, but I am great with it. No more wet and cold driving, or packing in such a way as everything must fit in exactly the same dedicated spot. I had picked up a '71 Honda CT90 on a whim before the Jeep was munched, and now I haul the bike easily on/behind my Av, and do the base camp thing. I putt around on the CT90 much like I would crawl around with the Jeep. I spent a lot of last summer building a portable solar system.

I had my first Truck/camp/motorcycle/fishing trip last fall in So Colorado with a bunch of long lost friends, and we had a blast. I was able to set up a very comfortable base camp for everyone, and it was very neat exploring/fishing on the bike. I had a nifty off road trailer that I used to pull behind the Jeep, and with the Av it is so much less stressful. About the only sacrifice I have now is not being able to crawl my Jeep into remote areas, much like you. But the upsides to having power, comfort and room are leaving my Jeep lifestyle as wonderful memories, with completely different adventures ahead of me now.

Next spring I will be revisiting my bike choice, as it would be nice to have something with a little more power. But having a scooter that only weighs 175 pounds and is dead nuts simple to work on sure has its upsides.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12