From CL: 1983 Toyota 4x4 Camper

getout

Adventurer
A friend of mine sent me the link to this today:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/3893233542.html

3Gd3L63s95r85q85t7d6p3c16df803df719bf.jpg3J33s43qa5Ef5s35J9d6o148bacb9d74e1700.jpg3Jc3q63H85r75s35J7d6of2497b9dac091f8b.jpg3Lf3Nb3H15E75rf5qfd6o5ed916acf8f518a6.jpg3ra3I23qf5q85Hc5M2d6p58b619571bfb1537.jpg3t73Lf3N65H25J65tdd6pfd3e7d644134190c.jpg

From the ad:
So I have a stock 1983 Toyota sandtana 4x4 motor home. It has the 22r Motor with a new crank kit. Could probley you some carb work. 5 speed transmission. Stock straight axle. 4.10 gears. It has the tilt top. Body is really straight. cd player. Perfect dash with no cracks. Under 100k miles. I think about 83k but i cant remember off the top of my head

So the rig needs to be restored. the cab has rust. I made a new tilt top "canvas" for it but it needs to be put on. fridge needs work.. I have never tried the stove. The back corners of the camper section has rotting wood. It really needs help but it runs and drives. I lived in it while mining for a summer so its definitely do able.

This Toyota is something you could go a life time without ever seeing one of these, they are very rare. I know it needs work but Its a very rare rig. I love the rig and dont need to sell it nor do i really want to but im tired of it sitting around and i feel bad. im a toyota fanatic would like to see it restored.

Im sure im forgetting a lot. But im open to cash offers. Dont low ball me. look at how much 2wd campers go for and then think about how much a 4x4 one would be worth... Open to trades. streetbikes, supermoto, other toyota or tacoma trucks. anything fun or fast or cool. open to all reasonable trade offers.

Sedonut

Adventurer
Sometimes free is too much to pay.

If you happened to have a matching Toyota cab laying around, if the frame is good, if you could do all the work yourself, it MIGHT be a fair deal. Even at 5 cents an hour for your time you would not make money.

I've taken on some similar projects, but never again a rusty one.

Tinker

He only has, at most, $700 invested into the project. If he was serious about selling it, he'll let it go for $650-800; in his area (and mine), Toyota 2wd campers sell for $500-$1200 depending on condition. If I can get ahold of him, I'm going to sit down and let him know how much I know about his project, and see if we can work out a reasonable price. I'm expecting a full tear down and rebuild, so at least it's low expectations to begin with.

hope

help pls? 1983 sandtana camper/trailer on a toyota sr5 pickup truck:
hello to other owners of said vehicle; i have one and live near upstate new york; i need advice please, if you'd be so kind; i am having trouble starting it since it sat awhile; however, i need to move it, a very short distance, like from two houses over to mine, and fast! it needs to be towed but i can't get a tow driver to do it because there is a little bit of a hill to use the driveway; can someone advise how to rent or buy, very cheap, a tow bar or hitch: what is the right type? how much should it cost? can i get a used one? where?
we hope to tow it ourselves, using our 2005 chevy suburban;
the other question, and very imporantly, is: if the motor is not starting, will the breaks work anyway? and the steering?
thanx so very, very much; i really want to keep this; it was my father's, of blessed memory, and we did lots of offroading and camping in california deserts, adding much personality to its bumper w/new bumps and bangs; then i drove it across country;
pls respond ASAP, before my neighbor calls to have it towed away, G-d forbid

kerry

Expedition Leader
Just tow it with a strap. Brakes and steering are independent of the engine but may not be working. Brakes may take extra effort if they are power brakes and the engine isn't running. Emergency brake should be independent of the foot brake. Tie an old tire to the front bumper of the Toyota and another on the back of the Suburban in case the brakes don't work and the Toyota runs into the Suburban. Shouldn't be a big deal to tow a vehicle a couple of blocks. Just go slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears