from jeep to rover????

kidA

Hey guys i currently have a jeep but im thinking of switching over to something a little more expedition friendly. Im thinking of going with a disco 2, i have a few questions.
how reliable are these? (what kinda mileage should i stay away from)
stock axle and gearing setup?
stock tire clearance?
where do you guys get your stuff? (lift bumpers etc..) what companies should i go with. im on a budget but i dont want to sacrifice quality.

thanks
kidA

MaxYedor

D2s are a tough one as far as milage. If you can find one, any year, with the head gaskets already done and a locking center dif or at least a lockable case (some have the T case, just not the linkage), and a good service history, milage isn't a big concern. I wouldn't buy an 03, no CDL and lots of oil-pump problems, the 04 is the most desirable D2 and the prices are dropping pretty low.

For a D2, stock axles and gearing are 3.54 open diffs, not sure on the axle material, but 24 spline. Rear's a floater, but used a pressed in axle on the unit bearing so it's not as trail-repair friendly as the D1/D9/RRC set-up. Front is an open knuckle like a Dana 30/35/44/50/60, but has a Toyota-like Birf. in a rubber boot, with the same style non user serviceable unit-bearing hub as the rear, pressed on and retained with a nut, like the rear.

Stock tire clearance, not fully certain, but without trimming I'd say a 30" is about the limit, stock height and a little saws-all love and you could fit a 32" on a D2 without a lift, 32s will fit with no trimming and a 2" lift.

All in all, I think a D1 is a better platform for an expedition truck, you can't get a 4.6 motor, but they all have CDL, floating axles, 3-link'd rear, cheaper, far less electronic BS to fail, and much easier to do trail repairs.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If for no other reason than the axle/hub design, I'd choose a D1 over a DII for the above reasons.
If you're looking for good mileage an earlier D1 will be less regulatory/inpsection hassle to convert to diesel, depending on where you live.
I've no idea what Jeep you have, so can't say anything about a Disco being more expedition friendly or not.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey guys i currently have a jeep but im thinking of switching over to something a little more expedition friendly. Im thinking of going with a disco 2, i have a few questions.
how reliable are these? (what kinda mileage should i stay away from)
stock axle and gearing setup?
stock tire clearance?
where do you guys get your stuff? (lift bumpers etc..) what companies should i go with. im on a budget but i dont want to sacrifice quality.

thanks
kidA

I'm a jeep guy, but I've owned many different 4x4 over the years:

jeepster commando
toyota 4runner (1st gen)
fullsize chevy blazer on 38's
Chevy suburban 3/4 ton
subaru GL 4x4 wagon (classic!)
Jeep wrangler Unlimited (2door model)
Jeep Cherokee (currently own)

If I had to pick one of the trucks that I have owned to run an expedition to someplace like alaska or the montana wilderness (or the mojave desert even), I would choose it for these reasons...

1. Reliability
2. Cargo capacity/passenger comfort
3. spares availability
4. aftermarket upgrades
5. good mpg's

With a family of five, I need capatious seating AND a healthy cargo area. I have also been very remote camping and backcountry travelling and there is nothing more frustrating/concerning than a vehicle that can't (even in working order) be completely relied upon.

In that case I'd probably choose the Toyota 4runner. Even though it has only 2 doors making getting in and out a chore, it's the truck on the list that I would trust to take me around the world if need be. Very tough, good on gas, very reliable, good parts availability, etc. (though, I have to say my XJ is growing on me, having been in my ownership for 3 months now and put to daily driving 40 miles a day without leaving me stranded)

Why am I telling you all this? Cuz you sir, need to make a priority list. Be honest about your priorities and really look at why a Jeep doesn't meet your needs...(I still don't know what KIND of jeep...haha!)..and why a rover may or may not do the job better.

I'll admit a certain sense of romanticism with Discoveries, but when its a matter of getting your wife and kids into the outback and back again, romanticism means nothing to me. I think its the trips YOU take that defines a vehicles "expedition" quality. People travel the world in Subaru foresters, dude, relishing in the mpg's, comfortable ride, and excellent traction on unsealed roads. (Good example of well-defined priorities NOT leading towards a 4wd)

Discoveries might be what you need, but I'd encourage you to really look at the motivations behind that choice. Might be that a CR-V or a 4x4 van are good choices, too.

Happy tuesday!

-B

overlander

Expedition Leader
Also remember that there is in my opinion a big difference between the Rover diesels and rover gas engines, AND anything you buy here is going to be gas. The diesels are very reliable with few problems.

The camel trophy disco's were all TDI's.

I have owned a 79 Jeep CJ7, a 95 Disco I and now my 110. My wife has an 03' DII. Taking the 110 out of the mix, the Disco was more complex than my CJ7, but the main electrical was more reliable (that's right. don't hear that very often, do you?). The electricals that are problematic in Disco I's that hurt the repuation are the incidentals such as powered window switches, etc. When I bought my 2 year old DI though, I was in love. I had some great trips in that rig. My buddy has it now and converted it to a 2.8 TDI diesel.

The ZF transmissions are pretty reliable too, but there's a few with manual R380's out there somewhere (not that I've ever come across one).

The DI shares many drive train components with the Defenders and RRC's. You are also pre-OBD. I recommend a DI with as few powered electrical luxuries as possible, and don't neglect maintenance. Budget for replacing common wear components when you think of your purchase budget. Immediately replace all hoses, plugs, wires, coil, full lub changes all around, etc. You can even put in new bearings yourself in a day if you know what your doing out of a garage.

Don't take the wait until it breaks then fix it mentality. Otherwise, you'll be chasing problems continuously. Start with a clean slate of known condition, and get back to a regular schedule from there.

Damn LRNA for not bringing diesels here!

Last edited:

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
No d2

This just came up with a friend of mine in the Rover parts business and when asked about which D2 to get it was an absolute NO across the board. This was to a group of Rover owners who between us have multiple rovers for multiple decades. If looking for something that looks like that then definetly go D1. Depending on where you are, you can get a good D1 for 2000. Although for space and ease of trail repairs, I would go for a RRC especially a hunter edition, to reduce the electrickery that is present.

There is a growing aftermarket business for rovers in general and the Disco market. look for spares/upgrades at Atlantic British (upstate NY), Rover's North (Vermont?), RTE (RoverTym VA) British Pacific (Cali? West Coast).

You will find that AB,RN,BP will have better prices than eachother depending on what you are looking at. You can almost always work a price match.

There are people out there that LOVE their D2s. I would still go with a D1 if it were me.

HTH

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
Don't drink the 5speed koolaid. I have had both kinds and while I still have the 5speed I enjoy my auto box ten times more as I can control myself a lot easier while wheeling.

S

stu454

FWIW, I love my '01 D2.

48k on the clock when I got it; 120k now with only a new radiator under warranty and the scheduled maintenance. I'll do the headgasket this Fall.

I've wheeled it pretty hard; Uwharrie, Tellico 4, 5, and 6, Mojave Road 3 times, Fins, Kane's Creek and Hell's Revenge in Moab and trails around the Gold Lakes area in California.

It may blow up tomorrow but I wouldn't trade anything for the time in that truck; hell I was reluctant to replace a cracked windshield because of all the things that I've seen through it!

I'm slow to condemn any Rover categorically, even Fooflanders.

muskyman

Explorer
I'm a jeep guy, but I've owned many different 4x4 over the years:

jeepster commando
toyota 4runner (1st gen)
fullsize chevy blazer on 38's
Chevy suburban 3/4 ton
subaru GL 4x4 wagon (classic!)
Jeep wrangler Unlimited (2door model)
Jeep Cherokee (currently own)

If I had to pick one of the trucks that I have owned to run an expedition to someplace like alaska or the montana wilderness (or the mojave desert even), I would choose it for these reasons...

1. Reliability
2. Cargo capacity/passenger comfort
3. spares availability
4. aftermarket upgrades
5. good mpg's

With a family of five, I need capatious seating AND a healthy cargo area. I have also been very remote camping and backcountry travelling and there is nothing more frustrating/concerning than a vehicle that can't (even in working order) be completely relied upon.

In that case I'd probably choose the Toyota 4runner. Even though it has only 2 doors making getting in and out a chore, it's the truck on the list that I would trust to take me around the world if need be. Very tough, good on gas, very reliable, good parts availability, etc. (though, I have to say my XJ is growing on me, having been in my ownership for 3 months now and put to daily driving 40 miles a day without leaving me stranded)

Why am I telling you all this? Cuz you sir, need to make a priority list. Be honest about your priorities and really look at why a Jeep doesn't meet your needs...(I still don't know what KIND of jeep...haha!)..and why a rover may or may not do the job better.

I'll admit a certain sense of romanticism with Discoveries, but when its a matter of getting your wife and kids into the outback and back again, romanticism means nothing to me. I think its the trips YOU take that defines a vehicles "expedition" quality. People travel the world in Subaru foresters, dude, relishing in the mpg's, comfortable ride, and excellent traction on unsealed roads. (Good example of well-defined priorities NOT leading towards a 4wd)

Discoveries might be what you need, but I'd encourage you to really look at the motivations behind that choice. Might be that a CR-V or a 4x4 van are good choices, too.

Happy tuesday!

-B

so a guy asks about moving from a Jeep to a rover and he gets a long post on why he should get a toyota.

so where is that other toyota guy that always drops in to bash our marque?...I feel him coming...LOL

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I love my '01 D2.
snip
I'm slow to condemn any Rover categorically, even Fooflanders.
Don't think anyone is out to condemn the DII's off-road prowess, I know I'm not.
The OP was asking for "expedition friendly". Any other issues aside, rubber boots on an axle don't fit that category. For the hubs it's not a big deal to carry a couple of spare bearings for a D1, vs. the complete hub assembly needed for a DII.

EricG

Explorer
I've got an 03, no CDL do I need it??? maybe maybe not, I'm thinking that the 03's with the bad oil pumps haven't shown themselves by now you should be ok. I've got over 70k and little maint goes along way.

S

stu454

Don't think anyone is out to condemn the DII's off-road prowess, I know I'm not.
The OP was asking for "expedition friendly". Any other issues aside, rubber boots on an axle don't fit that category. For the hubs it's not a big deal to carry a couple of spare bearings for a D1, vs. the complete hub assembly needed for a DII.

No sweat. I thought I would jump in and defend the D2 as vehemently as others defend their preferred vehicles. :wings:

We are one big, happy family after all.

kidA

Thanks for your replies.
I got some thinking to do. Ive been looking into grand cherokees as well, i just saw a pretty nice disco II on the road the other day and fell in love. I love my jeep dont get me wrong 96 xj 4.0 5 speed, LA's, 35's, hp30/44 4.56, lockers... the works. But im over rock crawling ive always enjoyed expedition type stuff more. I dont have a wife and kids but i like to take my friends with me thats why i am wanting more space and more creature comforts.

Im going to go check out some rovers tomorrow and maybe make up my mind.

kidA

kidA

7920_151733152205_62931757205_2558916_519327_n.jpg

:drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12