From your experience

MalnarUSA

Hey everyone I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to evryone, I just joined expo portal and I am very excited so thank you. So lately I have been searching and trying to find a good platform for a budget expo rig that is capable and realiable, either truck or suv, but with so many choices out there I just get flustered on what to purchase, now this is where I need your assistance, if you wouldn't mind, what is the best platform for an expo rig that you have owned/ had experience with, feel free to share comment, concerns or even pictures!! Any and all info is truly appreciated!! Thanks

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I hate to break it to you, but if you're looking to narrow down your choices, you asked the wrong question and came to the wrong place!

Even if you were to say specifically, "can you help me choose between a 4runner and a Trooper," 17 people will respond telling you that you forgot Monteros, Scouts and Pathfinders. :elkgrin:

You might try to give some criteria to help narrow it down: budget, does it have to fit in a garage? Daily driver while you build it? How many people?

My brother explored Mexico through to Guatemala in a Toyota Tercel 4wd wagon. I spend a couple weeks at a time in Baja with an F-350. Then there's all the stuff in the middle.

MalnarUSA

Yea you make a valid point sorry for the lack of info, budget would probablly be $2500 or lower for the vehicle, doesn't need to fit in a garage, it will be a DD, preferably Auto, I would like manual locking hubs, and probably the most important factor if possible is that I am 6'5 and I either would like to sleep in the bed if it's a truck or in the back with seats folded down if a SUV, and obviously the better MPG the better, thanks for allthe info, Its very much appreciated!!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
For that budget I would recommend a Trooper. They are cheap, reliable, and while they don't have manual hubs, it is very easy and cost effective to convert them. The downside, at 6'5", you will be alittle uncomfortable sleeping in the back, I am 6' and could do it with a little room to spare. The plus is they are tall and you will have plenty of head room.

MalnarUSA

Thanks for the for the info!! I appreciate it!! Is there any year that you would recommend? Yea it's a little frustration being so tall but you mak a good point with head room!! Thanks

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I would rcommend a '98 and up with the 3.5 for the power. However, you will need to keep an eye on oil consuption. If you can, look for one with out TOD (Torque On Demand), but if you can't, its no big deal.

greg mgm

Explorer
Hi and welcome!

My experience may be different than others here, but I'll add my 3 cents worth.
I did tons of camping with a truck/ cabover camper through the years and liked that setup a lot. Hard sided campers have the best interior room but off roading with one is limiting. A pop up camper would be more off road-able. I had a Starcraft pop up that worked out great for a while. For me the drawback is it flaps in the wind, and there's condensation in cold weather, but it's a good choice. Four Wheel campers is a good option since they are aluminum framed and tough. I also camped out of a 91 4Runner for years. Not sure there'd be enough room for you to sleep in one. Maybe the best and simplest choice (for you) is a truck and camper shell. That's what I'm using now and it's working out great.

Yea you make a valid point sorry for the lack of info, budget would probablly be $2500 or lower for the vehicle, doesn't need to fit in a garage, it will be a DD, preferably Auto, I would like manual locking hubs, and probably the most important factor if possible is that I am 6'5 and I either would like to sleep in the bed if it's a truck or in the back with seats folded down if a SUV, and obviously the better MPG the better, thanks for allthe info, Its very much appreciated!!

poriggity

Explorer
There are SOOO many trucks out there.. for your budget though, I'd start looking hard at older monteros, and possibly 1st or 2nd gen toyota trucks and 4 runners...
Scott

bftank

Explorer
considering that you are 6'5" i would recommed a 1982-1991 diesel suburban, preferably 3/4ton.

at 6'1" compact trucks make me feel claustrophobic. i like to stretch out.

the burb has locking hubs, straight axles, huge aftermarket, can be found for less than $2500 any day of the week. easy to sleep in, the diesels get 20mpg and can run on veggie oil. great platform. parts for these are dirt cheap as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12