Front Axles

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
What are some plug and play front axles to put in the front of a 2002 Tacoma for a solid axle swap? What are some axles that require a little more depth?
Leaf or coil, it is all still up in the air.
Please, post you're suggestions of axle and suspension setups and pictures would be even better. :)

KG6BWS

Explorer
nothings really plug n play on the swap. it takes a lot of time, money and fabrication to do. im thinkin about doin the same thing on my 04. youll probably find more info over at TTORA. theyve got an entire folder dedicated to sas's.

and leaf would definately be easier.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I'm sorry, by plug and play I meant is there any front axle that is already the correct width with spring perches in the correct place? I know there is still fabrication involved, just wanted to know if there is a common used axle.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I would go coils and radius arms. I have leaves and they ride either OK or reasonably well depending on which vehicle we're talking about. For the same expense and amount of development a coil sprung front will ride better than any leaf system. Radius arms aren't too difficult to build or you can buy them from sources like Cage Off Road or use some OE parts like those on Disco's, Early Bronco's, and later FJ's. Most guys get lost in trying to do 3 or 4 link systems and what they gain over a radius arm design isn't worth the considerable extra effort. The two leaf sprung LA trucks that I intend to keep will both eventually be radius arm and coil sprung.

The single thing that I would NOT do is use an OE coil. Use a coil-over coil, even if you don't use coil-over shocks. The range of available spring rates dwarfs anything available for even the most common OE application, and that will let you tune the ride to what you want rather than being limited by what you can find.

KG6BWS

Explorer
oh ok sorry.

to the best of my knowledge your best bet is an old jeep waggoneer axle. i believe it was early 80's waggys were left hand drive and 6 lug to match the rear.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Go with a Toyota Axle and run some wheel spacers or have it widened. The Waggy 44 is an option but IMO you have to do as much work to make it as strong as a stock Toyota Mini as you do widen the Toyota-Mini (IMO the Toyota is a stronger unit overall than Waggy D44 and I definatly like a drop out 3rd better as well). An 80 series Axle would be nice too, it's already set up for coils, but for some reason I seem to remember that it won't really work. I don't know the WMS of any of these except that the 85 and older Toyota front Axle is narrower than the IFS-Mini rear and even more so than the Taco rear.

Another thing to consider, that I personaly don't know, is wether or not there are matching gears available for the waggy diff as there are for Toyota diff's. It'd be pretty annoying to find out that you can't get 4.88 or 5.29 gears for trhe Waggy because those are the most common aftermarklet gears for Toyotas.

Cheers

Dave

KG6BWS

Explorer
Toyota SA's are passenger side drop. Tacomas and '96 and up Runners are driver side drop. Definately more complicated than our old junk.

BINGO!!! theres definately nothing plug n play about using a toy axle in a tacoma.

i forgot the exact numbers but yes the waggys have compatible gears available. iirc, you can have up to like 3 percent difference front and rear without having any problems. the combination for the sas guys is the big tires with 5.13 front and 5.29 rear.

front range offroad also has quite a bit of prefabbed parts for doing the swap. from what ive heard its of decent quality. you can almost get everything you need just from FROR, but be prepared for sticker shock if you buy everything!!!

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Hmm... This is just speculation right now (I hope it happens). From what I have been reading though I think an early 80's Grand Wagoneer D44 with the stock springs will work nicely to fit some 35" tires. I'm also really leaning towards leaf springs.
Well, I guess the fact that I don't know how to weld is also another factor. I have the welder sitting in my shop, I just don't know how to use it yet.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
A Toyota axle can be reversed for use in a drivers drop application in a similar process to a cut/turn (which would be recommended for a SAS). I would use an FJ60/62 housing personally, 3" wider than the standar mini housing and a larger/stronger differential. Becoming a more common conversion axle, I've sold a handful of housings to SAS customers.

One of the cleanest options I've seen as of late was the Retro-Mini that Toyota had at the recent SEMA show. Use 80 Series like radius arms (they were 70 Series to my knowledge). Brackets should be easy enough to fab up and you could integrate the stock coilover strut top mount assembly, with a custom coilover setup. You definitely cannot use the OEM strut assembly nor really any aftermarket coilover intended for the OE Tacoma IFS as the spring rates will be double that of what you desire as the cantilever effect of the IFS dictates a 500+ lb/in rate for the IFS coils versus a say 250 lb/in spring rate for a standard solid axle.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
A Toyota axle can be reversed for use in a drivers drop application in a similar process to a cut/turn (which would be recommended for a SAS). I would use an FJ60/62 housing personally, 3" wider than the standar mini housing and a larger/stronger differential. Becoming a more common conversion axle, I've sold a handful of housings to SAS customers.

One of the cleanest options I've seen as of late was the Retro-Mini that Toyota had at the recent SEMA show. Use 80 Series like radius arms (they were 70 Series to my knowledge). Brackets should be easy enough to fab up and you could integrate the stock coilover strut top mount assembly, with a custom coilover setup. You definitely cannot use the OEM strut assembly nor really any aftermarket coilover intended for the OE Tacoma IFS as the spring rates will be double that of what you desire as the cantilever effect of the IFS dictates a 500+ lb/in rate for the IFS coils versus a say 250 lb/in spring rate for a standard solid axle.
OOH, yeah I always forget about the 60ser SFA. Good call. and yes, I belive that the whole front end of the "Retro-Taco" was 78 (?) Series bits grafted onto the Taco.

Toyota SA's are passenger side drop. Tacomas and '96 and up Runners are driver side drop. Definately more complicated than our old junk.
Ahh, that's right, I knew I was forgetting something...

And please, never refer to a first gen 4Runner as junk (even if it is IFS) ;) HAHAHAHA

Cheers

Dave

juicebox

Adventurer
This is not plug and play for sure, but this is my favorite SAS. http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102614

I once saw a sprung under 89-95 pickup SAS. I thought that was awesome because it was lifted just enough to fit 33s and it still had a solid axle. I think he used a LC axle for it, but it may have been a leaf-sprung early 4runner/pickup axle. it was cool though.

I have been thinking about doing a SAS for about 3 years now, and every which way I look at it I just can't justify dumping 25% of my yearly salary into something I don't think I need. Plus, for the cost of doing a SAS on a tacoma, you can buy a SASed 89-95 pickup that is already setup. Then you have a toy and a taco for daily driving. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12