Front facing window... bad idea?

rruff

Explorer
Thinking of a Maygood window, which is a near or exact copy of the Dometic S4. Location would be directly forward and vertical; nose of the overhead berth on a truck camper.

Bad idea for leaks? Anyone with experience?

s-l1600.jpg

jkam

nomadic man
Lazy Daze RV's used to have front facing windows in the overhead berth.
It's been a long time now since they removed them for leakage problems.
One less worry about where leaks can occur is always good.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Lazy Daze RV's used to have front facing windows in the overhead berth.
It's been a long time now since they removed them for leakage problems.
One less worry about where leaks can occur is always good.

I agree. Maybe fixed glass, but those often leak as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
The reason for considering it, is that I'd like the ability see in all directions from inside the camper, and ventilation of some kind would be very nice in that location if it was hot at night. A fan in the back would pull air through. I think I remember Andreas claiming that Tern windows would not leak in that location. The camper is fiberglass and foam, so a leak wouldn't ruin anything at least.

This is the only example I've seen of someone trying it... an old Avion camper that originally had a sliding window in the nose. He (or she?) links to it elsewhere, and it's a Maygood window. He said it actually did leak when he first drove in the rain, but that might have been because he'd failed to remove a piece of plastic. I didn't see any mention of the window in later posts.

IMG_9228-1024x683.jpg

jkam

nomadic man
Most class C RV's no longer have a front berth window.
They finally realized that it's not worth the problem of a leak.

Do what you want, I understand your reasoning, but I still wouldn't do it.
A leak will ruin plenty and cause headaches you don't need.

rruff

Explorer
Any thoughts on putting a roof vent there, or one of these? It looks like this little vent could even serve as a scupper (positive pressure while driving), but it won't keep mosquitoes out...
1645732112518.png

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Avoid Maygood! We did swift business with them for a couple years. 80% of the shipments was always garbage. Non existing customer service. We stopped dealing with them as I have no interest in a hit and miss purchase.

rruff

Explorer
Andreas, do I remember correctly that you stated the Tern windows would not leak in this location?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Andreas, do I remember correctly that you stated the Tern windows would not leak in this location?

Nope. The tern windows are tight. But we had several customers requesting replacements after theirs blew open or got hit by trees. Disclaimer: Those customers where not ours! They bought campers from other companies that use the Tern windows. Generally speaking it's a bad idea to have windows in potential impact areas.

Here is a picture we took during our thermal testing that shows no air leakage on the Tern Windows. For this test, we had a max fan on full blast to create a under pressure inside the camper.
FLIR10417.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
Sleep clothed, that way others in the campground don't have to see your butt pressed against the window.:mad:

ScottReb

Adventurer
You could always put a cover over it as a trailer has. Easy enough to climb up on the cab and open it. If you want one that bad. Tern windows all around. F6 front render.jpg

billiebob

A sealed window like a windshield you only worry about rocks. An opening window is whole new game. We quit doing them on windshields when we could exceed 50mph.

But a seal against weather was hardly the issue back then.

16047174473ef3f3e149e7df0eIMG_3858-scaled.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12