Front license plate and winch

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
I'm going to fab up a front license plate bracket using Mag Lite clips to clip it to my roller fairlead. I'm a little concerned about security. Has anyone else done this mod? Is there an easy way to make sure someone doesn't walk by and swipe it? Thanks in advance.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I wouldn't sweat it, I mean if someone really wants your front license plate whats stopping them from taking it now...In WA the front plate is all but useless anyway with the tabs on the back plate. The back ones will get stolen most likely..

saburai

Explorer
I did a little 1/8" safety cable as a deterrent. It also keeps me from forgetting the plate:elkgrin:

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really worried about the theft of the plate, but rather a method of preventing someone from grabbing it to just grab it. saburai, do you have any photos of your set up? Where did you get your cable? Thanks.

DarinM

Explorer
I did a quick/easy fab with an extra old license plate. I drilled through the old one and put in screws to the Maglite bracket. I used zipties to attach my new tag to the old one. It's not anything special but it works. I haven't done anything to secure it. Figure if someone wants it they're going to get it one way or another.

P1010006.jpg

Here's the view from the front. It doesn't look quite like that anymore. I smacked a Jetta a while back and it kind of turned it into a form fitting cover over the fairlead. Did about $5G worth of damage to the Jetta, though. I also rewound my winch cable.

P1010005.jpg

saburai

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really worried about the theft of the plate, but rather a method of preventing someone from grabbing it to just grab it. saburai, do you have any photos of your set up? Where did you get your cable? Thanks.

I just picked up the cable and some crimps at a hardware store.

Here is a pic, you can just see the cable loop at the lower left:

MartinsCeller269.jpg

bugman

I've run the "mag lite" set up for years with no problems. I wouldn't worry about someone grabbing it maybe to prevent a fall or something similar as those clamps are very tight on mine. It takes a good tug to get that plate off. I used a thick plastic plate holder, bolted the clamps to the rear and screwed the plate to the front. Works well.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Gonna love this I use heavy duty velcro works just fine and no problems.A strip on the rollers and the same on the back of the plate.

Attachments

• DSC01944.JPG
    DSC01944.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Guess you haven't used your winch yet?

Yes I do use the winch,for others about a dozen times. If the strip gets messed up I just cut a new one. But yes it is used. And that an'it funny, yes not funny. Glad you got a chuckle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998