Front Locker Question

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm adding a front locker next week and I want to plan ahead (carry spares) for any issues with my CV shafts and tie rods.

So, assuming I'm careful about not trying to steer with the locker engaged, or using the locker with the wheels turned, can I still expect issues with tie rods and CV shafts? I have a mild OME lift in the front; therefore, the CV angles are not much different than stock. Also, most of the Montero's drivetrain is pretty stout.

While I know that this can be largely vehicle specific, can anyone offer any general advice about potential issues with tie rods and CV shafts with a front locker?

I'm just not certain, at this point, about how much I should be concerned about premature wear to the front drivetrain and steering components.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I can see how an LSD would be better. But, I don't think I can get one for my truck without modifying a whole lot. The ARB is direct fit for my truck, so I decided on that.

Curious, where did you source an LSD for your front axle?

XJINTX

Explorer
Tony as you stated you should be OK. I never had an issue with front locker and CV's unless hardore and way off camber and out of norm. Carried a spare so not a real issue... drove 2wd until replaced.

I did have an issue with tierod adjusters until I replaced with aftermarket but that was a known weakpoint on xterra's and there was abundant aftermarket.

Loved my ARB in front and it REALLY helped when needed and not just playing.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
xterraintx said:
Tony as you stated you should be OK. I never had an issue with front locker and CV's unless hardore and way off camber and out of norm. Carried a spare so not a real issue... drove 2wd until replaced.

I did have an issue with tierod adjusters until I replaced with aftermarket but that was a known weakpoint on xterra's and there was abundant aftermarket.

Loved my ARB in front and it REALLY helped when needed and not just playing.

Thanks, Roger, for the advice.

So, I don't think that there's any aftermarket tie rods, but they're not that expensive and they don't look that hard to replace if I carry the right tools (outer ones anyway). So, if I have any issue with these, I'm certainly hoping it's the outer tie rods and not the inner ones (just a bit harder to get to and no fun, for sure).

As for CV's, are you recommending that I carry a spare(s)? I need to research whether this truck uses the same part on both sides as these are pretty expensive.

cruiser guy

Explorer
tdesanto said:
Curious, where did you source an LSD for your front axle?

'Cruisers use the same diff assembly front and rear so I have one that is meant for a rear axle but mounted up front.

madizell

Explorer
Since you have an ARB in front now, use it when you need it, turn it off the moment you don't. If you are worried about CV joints, use the lockers when going roughly straight forward, or use gas wisely. But with the ARB, you can turn it on and off at will. Remember to turn it off when not needed. I use mine so rarely it is almost a luxury item. If you feel the steering fighting you, turn the front locker off.

Last edited:

Gurkha

Adventurer
Gurkha and G Wagen comes standard with lockers in front. Absolutely no issues if there are not abused. The GURKHA is independent front and I have had no CV issues. I only use the lockers on straight line on a need to use basis.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
I'm adding a front locker next week and I want to plan ahead (carry spares) for any issues with my CV shafts and tie rods.

So, assuming I'm careful about not trying to steer with the locker engaged, or using the locker with the wheels turned, can I still expect issues with tie rods and CV shafts? I have a mild OME lift in the front; therefore, the CV angles are not much different than stock. Also, most of the Montero's drivetrain is pretty stout.

While I know that this can be largely vehicle specific, can anyone offer any general advice about potential issues with tie rods and CV shafts with a front locker?

I'm just not certain, at this point, about how much I should be concerned about premature wear to the front drivetrain and steering components.

if you are running an old man emu lift that means that you are lifted 3" or less, right? so that means that you are running within a few inches of the stock tire size or less right?

dude....YOU. WILL. BE. FINE....

don't drive like an idiot, and you'll have no need for spares.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Thanks to all for the advice.

I cant' wait to get this done and start learning how/when to use it.

madizell

Explorer
When to use a front ARB comes with practice. I usually engage it before I need it, but of course this requires a sense of when that is going to happen. For now, leave it off until the situation demands a bit more traction, and once you get to know the circumstances that led to having to use it, you will know when to turn it on ahead of time. Not to worry. It will all become obvious when you get on the trail.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
Thanks to all for the advice.

I cant' wait to get this done and start learning how/when to use it.

You will certainly need to learn how to use it as when it is engaged it will change the handling of your truck quite a bit. Some for the better and you'll learn not to use it for the worse...in my short wheel base it can make it quite squrilly at times!
Jason T.

madizell

Explorer
Noteworthy regarding the ARB as a locker: when locked your axles are spooled together. The ARB does not over-ride like an auto-locker (Detroit, Lock-Right, ...). Both tires will turn at the same rate regardless of available traction or degree of turn. This causes a lot of binding in the steering. That's the biggest reason I use it only when absolutely needed, and turn it off as soon as it isn't.

cruiser guy

Explorer
madizell said:
Noteworthy regarding the ARB as a locker: when locked your axles are spooled together. The ARB does not over-ride like an auto-locker (Detroit, Lock-Right, ...). Both tires will turn at the same rate regardless of available traction or degree of turn. This causes a lot of binding in the steering. That's the biggest reason I use it only when absolutely needed, and turn it off as soon as it isn't.

That's one of the big reasons I went to a limited slip instead of a locker on the front of my truck.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
...This causes a lot of binding in the steering. That's the biggest reason I use it only when absolutely needed, and turn it off as soon as it isn't.

So, that's my plan too. Only when absolutely necessary.

So, can I use it to gain traction when I'm slipping and then disengage it as soon as I gain momentum? I.e., can I disengage it while moving or do I need to stop again?

Binding in the steering is what led to my question about tie rods. When these break (I know this may be a vehicle specific question), is it normally at the end or somewhere in the outer tie rod? If so, these aren't that expensive and don't look to be hard to change at all if I carry the right tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan