Front or Rear locker, but not both

Bravo8Delta

I am in the process of my first trail rig build, which has been excruciatingly slow. I have welded on my IRO axle truss front and rear, they have been blasted and powder coated, but before I put them back under I am going to install a set of 4:56 gears and a locker. I had planned on putting a locker in the rear, but my wife asked why not the front instead. o_OIDK
So the question is: If you could only have 1 locker would you put it in the front or the rear, and why? Would the location make that much of a difference.

I am building a 2000 XJ with 6.5 IRO long arm, Chrysler 8.25 out back and Dana 30 up front, I plan on running a 33x12.5 in a 17 or 18
I am not building a rock crawler or mud buggy. I would like to run the KAT and slowly tackle parts of the TAT.

Saint Nick

If it was me, I would put it in the front as that's where I believe you'll make most gains. The rear axle should have a fair amount of weight over it which will help with grip, so for your requirements a front locker would be of great benefit . Again, if it were me, I'd use a mechanical locker as opposed to a much more expensive air locker, along with manual hubs which can be locked once you're off the tarmac hence enabling the front locker.

Nick

jadmt

ignore button user
I do a lot of offroading and I would do it in the rear. I have a rubicon (3rd one) and it is rare I lock the front. Trails like the rubicon trail can be done with only a rear locker and having the front locked makes it harder to steer. I have buddies that have only rear lockers and they do fine.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I agree.

Rear locker offers most climbing traction.

I added locking hubs to a YJ with a lock right in the front on a previous rig. For the cost and complexity I have never done it again. I prefer selectable lockers.

My current WJ has Aussie locker in rear and varilok in the front. The Aussie is a noisy beast.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
.. been doing it too long, I guess...
But I cannot conceive of having a vehicle with only one locker; I suppose my, old school, advice would be to; regear it for the tire size, and install the desired suspension, then drive it open and REALLY get good at picking lines and keeping tires on the ground with out spinning them. Finally,depending on which end your suspension has more traction issues with; put a selectable locker in that axle.
IMO, Today, too may folks neglect the skill angle of wheeling and jump directly to lockers... (then wonder why they can't make the obstacle/trail without winching).

In the presence of a need for instant gratification; I would say lock the rear as it, probably, will tear up the trails slightly less than constantly spinning tires with an open diff...

Enjoy!

Saint Nick

IMO, Today, too may folks neglect the skill angle of wheeling and jump directly to lockers... (then wonder why they can't make the obstacle/trail without winching)
100% agree with that statement. This is why I only suggested a mechanical locker on the front such as the Aussie Locker or the Lokka, and that with selectable hubs IMHO is a relatively cheap solution. Personally, I've got away without a locker nor a winch so must be doing something right! :unsure:

Nick.

Viatorem

I've run only a rear Detroit locker in my TJ for 10 years now. With the front sway-bars disconnected, which helps keep 4 wheels contacting the ground, I've been amazed at the obstacles I've been able to clear, the hills I've been able to climb, etc.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a related question. Please keep in mind that I am in no way an off-roading professional.

I'm interested in a locker for AFTER I get stuck...not before. When in deep snow I'm not sure that picking your line can really be counted on since you can't see what is under the snow. Again, I am really green and could be totally wrong about that. My thought is that a locker might save me from an hour of digging and/or shoveling after getting in trouble. I'm usually alone, so a tow isn't going to help.

In my case I have a 4WD van that is still empty in the back. I was thinking that putting a locker in the front might be best because the rear is really light. I do plan to put 1500+ lbs. of cabinets and gear in the rear this summer (guestimated weight).

That being said, what do the experienced people think? Would a locker in front, rear, or both be best in my case? I'm not a rich dude and locking both axles might not be financially realistic.

And...what would be the most simple and inexpensive type of locker? I think I have DANA 60s in front and rear but will have to verify.

Constructive input would be very much appreciated! I know that the OP is interested in a Jeep, but I was hoping we could expand on some basic locker dos and don'ts.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I have a related question. Please keep in mind that I am in no way an off-roading professional.

I'm interested in a locker for AFTER I get stuck...not before. When in deep snow I'm not sure that picking your line can really be counted on since you can't see what is under the snow. Again, I am really green and could be totally wrong about that. My thought is that a locker might save me from an hour of digging and/or shoveling after getting in trouble. I'm usually alone, so a tow isn't going to help.

In my case I have a 4WD van that is still empty in the back. I was thinking that putting a locker in the front might be best because the rear is really light. I do plan to put 1500+ lbs. of cabinets and gear in the rear this summer (guestimated weight).

That being said, what do the experienced people think? Would a locker in front, rear, or both be best in my case? I'm not a rich dude and locking both axles might not be financially realistic.

And...what would be the most simple and inexpensive type of locker? I think I have DANA 60s in front and rear but will have to verify.

Constructive input would be very much appreciated! I know that the OP is interested in a Jeep, but I was hoping we could expand on some basic locker dos and don'ts.
Detroit. Millions of happy campers.

Umbrarian

Observer
I am in the process of my first trail rig build, which has been excruciatingly slow. I have welded on my IRO axle truss front and rear, they have been blasted and powder coated, but before I put them back under I am going to install a set of 4:56 gears and a locker. I had planned on putting a locker in the rear, but my wife asked why not the front instead. o_OIDK
So the question is: If you could only have 1 locker would you put it in the front or the rear, and why? Would the location make that much of a difference.

Rear always. Rear will almost always have more mass, to air in traction. Front is often lightly loaded. Reality though is I would do f&r at same time.

Umbrarian

Observer

Lockers are not that effective in snow, as often no wheel has good traction. Lockers excel when one wheel has traction. Been in snow plenty of times with lockers, all I get is 4 wheels spinning while I auto-rotate.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Detroit. Millions of happy campers.

I did some reading on the Detroit. Certainly inexpensive and sounds too good to be true. I only get 13 MPG with this rig to start with....will a Detroit locker totally pooch the MPG? Will it become dangerous on snow?

I'm not gonna be rock crawling. Getting out of mud, snow, and maybe over a tree or two would be good though. At this kindof price point I might be able to lock both axles. How difficult are they to install? I did a lot of research about re-gearing my Jeep and it scared me off (sounded too technical for my tools and skillset).

Smileyshaun

Observer
If your going to be traveling alot in snow and icy conditions putting a non selectable locker in the front end will lead to some interesting driving effects . Turning will be effected alot because with both tires turning at the same rate it will have the tendency to just push straight ahead , some say you can just lock in one hub and that will work but I can tell you from personal experience as soon as you drive on ice it's going to pull hard to the locked in side every time you touch the gas .
Now I'm not saying you can't run a non selectable locker in the front , I've done it and so have some of my friends and if you know what your doing you can make the rig behave and do what you want but if it's not something your use to it can be a little scary when you turn the wheel and it keeps going straight .

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
If your going to be traveling alot in snow and icy conditions putting a non selectable locker in the front end will lead to some interesting driving effects . Turning will be effected alot because with both tires turning at the same rate it will have the tendency to just push straight ahead , some say you can just lock in one hub and that will work but I can tell you from personal experience as soon as you drive on ice it's going to pull hard to the locked in side every time you touch the gas .
Now I'm not saying you can't run a non selectable locker in the front , I've done it and so have some of my friends and if you know what your doing you can make the rig behave and do what you want but if it's not something your use to it can be a little scary when you turn the wheel and it keeps going straight .
What about putting one in the back only?

Smileyshaun

Observer
Lockers are not that effective in snow, as often no wheel has good traction. Lockers excel when one wheel has traction. Been in snow plenty of times with lockers, all I get is 4 wheels spinning while I auto-rotate.

Just so we understand what your trying to get across ... are you really saying that not having lockers is better then having lockers in the snow ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears