Front Runner flip pop tent - anyone use or have one?

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Wondering if this is a good option for solo or two person trips. Any experience with these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mudbutt

Explorer
I saw one at TDS last year. They're kind of on the small side. If there will be two of you, you had better know the other person fairly well. I passed on it.

I'm trying to replace my Quickdraw. They were one of the first many years ago. I think mine is over 20 years old. It has enough room for a queen size inflatable mattress inside plus all of your gear. Alas the years of use and abuse have taken their toll and Quickdraw is no longer.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
I saw one at TDS last year. They're kind of on the small side. If there will be two of you, you had better know the other person fairly well. I passed on it.

I'm trying to replace my Quickdraw. They were one of the first many years ago. I think mine is over 20 years old. It has enough room for a queen size inflatable mattress inside plus all of your gear. Alas the years of use and abuse have taken their toll and Quickdraw is no longer.

thanks for the info - this would be mainly for when it is just me. We have an REI Kingdom 4 that we use when it is the whole fam. Love that thing - it is just not practical for when I am alone. Will probably just get another REI tent in the two person range, but the concept of the FR flip pop is really cool.

adio3x

Observer
I have one, I used it on a week long trip in Moab with a friend. Lets just say it was a tight squeeze and we're both 6'1". Also with 2 people, it can get very hot in there. The nice thing is it literally takes 10 seconds to setup and about 20 to stow it back in the bag. I would use it as a solo, very roomy and comfortable by yourself.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Thank you Ryan for bringing this up, I was going to ask the same exact question.

And a thank you to adio3x for your experience with the tent, I won't be using it much but I love the quick deployment aspect.

JFarris

Wanderer
We have (2) of them. Like others have said, (2) adults is tight. Our kids sleep in them and they don't complain. (Ages 10,15,17) We've had ours for over a year now with multiple trips put on them. Quality is great, as the quick setup/takedown is really nice.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
We have (2) of them. Like others have said, (2) adults is tight. Our kids sleep in them and they don't complain. (Ages 10,15,17) We've had ours for over a year now with multiple trips put on them. Quality is great, as the quick setup/takedown is really nice.

How is the performance in rain? We got caught in a crazy storm this past weekend in central Texas.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I have one. I used it to camp along the Colorado river in Moab and my brother just used it in Death Valley. Like others have said, it's pretty small inside. Best for 1 person and a dog. Or maybe a smaller couple. I haven't tried putting 2 people in it yet. The double layers keep it pretty warm inside. But I'm not sure how it is in rain or hot weather.

Whiterim Trail, UT.

XxyQiKqDor0Ryc14cbcAIqCusfYy1FdF2juLgHiwsyVF=w1331-h884-no

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I wanted to update my review of these. I'm really impressed with this little tent.

My brother used it over thanks giving in death valley where it stood up to 30 degree temperatures. And my best friend just used it along the Mojave road in high winds. The tent seems to be pretty impervious to wind. When guylined out and pointed into the wind, it doesn't even ruffle or flap. My REI Half Dome 2+ tent did not fair nearly as well.

The color is great for not standing out in the backcountry. It blends in with rocks while still looking modern. And the no-seeum mesh and reflective guy lines are nice touches.

The dual layers and small interior space kept the inside very warm on 30-40 degree nights. And the convenience of a 2 min tent and sleeping pad/bag set up and take down can't be beat.

It makes a great back up tent because you can stash it on your spare tire (behind a trasharoo) or between the rollbar and ceiling in a Wrangler. I just wish they'd make a 3 person version now.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I have one, I used it on a week long trip in Moab with a friend. Lets just say it was a tight squeeze and we're both 6'1". Also with 2 people, it can get very hot in there. The nice thing is it literally takes 10 seconds to setup and about 20 to stow it back in the bag.

This statement gives me pause. It's always harder to put the genie back into the bottle... 20mins to stow? yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger