Front Runner Full Roof Rack Installed on 5th gen 4runner

mace.

I spoke with Front Runner and American Overland yesterday. Yes, FR has no intentions of building a full length rack, but you can still buy the parts you want and do it. American Overland can make the front brackets, they just need your rig for about an hour. If I was closer I would be on it!

I called American Overland today and they are going to see if they can find the template for the front mounts. I'm on the other side of the country so there's no chance of me dropping the truck off for them to use. I'll post either way when I hear back.

Spixelz

Adventurer
I called American Overland today and they are going to see if they can find the template for the front mounts. I'm on the other side of the country so there's no chance of me dropping the truck off for them to use. I'll post either way when I hear back.
I called them as well and got ahold of OP. He said the brackets they made where kind ghetto cause their laser cutter broke and had to be cut by hand and will likely have a new set made. That being said, any good local fab shop should be able to make some. Soon as I can find a buyer for my Gobi I'll likely pull the trigger on a full length.

mace.

I called them as well and got ahold of OP. He said the brackets they made where kind ghetto cause their laser cutter broke and had to be cut by hand and will likely have a new set made. That being said, any good local fab shop should be able to make some. Soon as I can find a buyer for my Gobi I'll likely pull the trigger on a full length.

Thanks for the heads up. Ideally I would have liked to have the brackets prior to ordering the rack but maybe I'll end up just trying to find someone local to do it.

Spixelz

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up. Ideally I would have liked to have the brackets prior to ordering the rack but maybe I'll end up just trying to find someone local to do it.
Frankly, I think I should be able to find a company to make some brackets and have the plans on hand. I'm sure there would be a demand for the full size front runner racks on.

Last edited:

mace.

I spoke with Brian (I think it was Brian) at Front Runner today. He was very helpful in explaining their concerns on a full length rack on a 5th gen. If I understood correctly, they feel that having feet up font on the rubber trim will certainly support the weight on the rack but that it does nothing for the lift generated at highway speeds and bouncing around off-road. They want ensure that the rack is engineered and used in a way that they can stand behind it. He did say that engineers were looking into a resolution for a full length rack and hope to eventually provide one. There is a slightly longer (8 additional in) that they will offer but it's only available to order over the phone. While I wish they currently offered a full length, I can't fault them for not putting out a product that they aren't satisfied with.

Spixelz

Adventurer
Yeah I can totally understand that, my biggest argument is just that's how Gobi, Baja and others have mounted their racks for some time with zero issues. I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work the same.

Oleg

I had my rack already at the top of my truck for over a year. Absolutely no issues. Stable as it was the day i got it. I probably should check if any screws are getting loose, but when i pull on it, it's as solid as it gets. No regrets at all. No wind noise, whistling sounds, shaking, vibration, or other issues in general. If anyone wants to see it, I live in San Jose, CA, now, so can show it anytime.

Gormo

I am in the process of assembling my full length Front Runner rack now. Using tracks! More News to Follow...

Oleg

The rear mounting are from Front Runner (same ones that are used for the half-length rack). The front ones currently need to be built custom.

mace.

The rear mounting are from Front Runner (same ones that are used for the half-length rack). The front ones currently need to be built custom.

I knew that but about yours but @gormo has something different going on.

NoOneBetter

Observer
I had my rack already at the top of my truck for over a year. Absolutely no issues. Stable as it was the day i got it. I probably should check if any screws are getting loose, but when i pull on it, it's as solid as it gets. No regrets at all. No wind noise, whistling sounds, shaking, vibration, or other issues in general. If anyone wants to see it, I live in San Jose, CA, now, so can show it anytime.

Man, I thought your truck looked familiar. You still have an AZ plate right? If so, I live in a neighborhood a few blocks away from you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman