Front shackel reversal...Yes or No?

lamontagne

Adventurer
I'm about to redo the front of my YJ. I had built a 3-link using TJ coils, but I just cant get it low enough and get the angles/clearances right with out cutting off the whole front frame section and making a new one. So, I'm going back to leaf springs. I will be staying spring under with RE 4.5 springs, and I will be frenching the mounting points 1.5 inches higher to net an overall 3in lift.

The thing nagging me right now though, is do I do a shackel reversal or not?

I know many of the pros/cons.
Shackel in front allows the spring/tire to move forward (and over) something as its compressed.
Shackel in back allows a more natural rearward path of travel making for a smoother ride.

So what says you?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The thing nagging me right now though, is do I do a shackel reversal or not?

I know many of the pros/cons.
Shackel in front allows the spring/tire to move forward (and over) something as its compressed.
Shackel in back allows a more natural rearward path of travel making for a smoother ride.

Not always, it depends on spring arch and the position of the spring in the chassis. With a 4.5" lift spring, yes.

So what says you?

In this application I would probably do a shackle reversal. Tuck the fixed end close to the frame in front. Have the fixed end of the shackle above the frame with the spring eye JUST below the edge of the frame. You will have to pay attention to shackle angle and travel to get it to clear the frame. The shackle could even ride/rub on some HDPE plates on the side of the frame to provide a little more stability.
Keep an eye on your caster. With the spring mounted like this you may have too much. You could also use an XJ length spring with the long end to the rear for a little more flex.

Make sure to do something about the u-bolts. You can build some high clearance u-bolt plates to get the ends up above the bottom of the springs.

reece146

Automotive Artist
It basically boils down to what is the problem you are trying to solve?

With the reversal you'll get more brake dive and as the suspension compresses the axle "swings" closer to the transfer case so that has to be designed into the front propellor shaft.

The better ride is a benefit.

lamontagne

Adventurer
what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Ride quality and duability is my primary goal.

This Jeep will be more backcountry exploring, than full on rock crawling. I have a 5yo daughter and my wife is 16 weeks along, so my hard core days are behind me.

I've never owned a front and rear leaf sprung vehicle before. But I have wheeled with quite a few. One thing I have seen in person is someone approaching an obstacle and the rock just pushes the shackel back until the leaf bends (or breaks). With a family in tow, this is not a good postion to be in.

I am leaning most toward a shackel reversal.

reece146

Automotive Artist
For ride quality the best thing you can do is mount the longest spring possible - well that and the obvious high quality spring with all the details done for you.

A longer spring means rejigging the mounts anyway so at that point perhaps a SR should be done anyway. Don't go too soft on the damping though.

alan

Explorer
I have reversed shackles on toyota many times, it is a much better ride and well worth doing, we never experienced anything negative.

lamontagne

Adventurer
Those sliding shackels are very nice looking. That would solve alot of fitment issues keeping everything high and tight. That page has just been added to my favorites for quick reference later.

bob91yj

Resident **************
If you do the reversal, make damn sure you get a long travel front driveshaft. Cycle the suspension to it's limits when measuring. I've seen more than one incorrect driveshaft either come apart at the slip, or worse yet, shatter the transfer case on compression

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger