Front Tow Hitch Receiver for Hitch Mounted Recovery Winch

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Anyone got a lead on a source for one of those front mounted hitches?

I'll be needing a recovery winch for my off-road excursions, but don't really want to go the whole ARB style mega bumper route. Just wanna be able to simply throw on the winch when I hit the trails. Also, I like the verastility of the hitch mount winch, since it can be used front or rear, unlike the permanent bumper mounted units.

kerry

Expedition Leader
J.C. Whitney sells a front receiver hitch I think. I made my own for my Cruiser and FG using steel channel and a step bumper receiver hitch. Heavy channel bolted between the frame rails and step bumper receiver bolted to the channel.

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Thanks, I'll check JC.

I did a little searching on here and read a post by Capt Eddie, who has a front hitch with two 2" female receivers and a winch mounted on a plate with two 2" square male tubes. That sounds like the way to go...probably have to customize a standard front and rear hitch...in which case I think 3 female receiver tubes would be the most veratile, so the hitches could be used for standard hitch purposes also.

duner

Well you have a couple of options…

Buy one from warn and bolt it on. OR

Go to a trailer shop who can make trailer hitches and ask them to make you one that bolts on to the same bolts that the tow hooks bolt to. OR

Make your own (if you have a welder). The easiest way to make one is to buy some 4” by 4” angle iron to bolt to the frame (where the tow hooks bolt), then some 2.5” square tubing to make the cross bar, and finally some receiver tubing to weld to the cross bar so that you can insert the winch. Then add gussets everywhere for added beef. In the end mine looked like the warn one shown here http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/multi_mount.shtml
I am on my second trailer hitch now (first one would not work after the SAS) and I have never had a problem with it not being strong enough. I have stalled my warn XD9000i trying to pull my friend out and I have never had any doubt in the mount. I now have a warn 9.5xp on the receiver and haven't looked back. The only thing I might add is to create a storage place for the winch in the truck so you are not putting it on or in the truck every time you go out (unless you always have another person to help your) as they are pretty heavy. I now keep mine in my truck in my wooden rack in the back.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I made mine to hide behind the front plate:

beeft20.jpg
hfhitch.jpg

That gets it up higher than the aftermarket hitches that are available. ( Hiddenhitch.com )

winch3.jpg

Still nothing is ever quite high enough:

Enrouten%20to%20Moab%20013.jpg

Since these photos I have changed to an aluminum fairlead and synthetic line. Removing the roller fairlead shortened up the front a little and helped the approach angle.

I carry mine on the front on my journeys. It has never stopped me from going where I want to go. A pair Of 7" HID lights ride on the winch carrier operated by a wireless control. Nice for winching off the rear at night.

ssnow.JPG

This truck is a daily driver so in the "off" time the winch stows in the garage.

ldivinag

Adventurer
ditto on custom making them.

i had a family friend who is a expert welder and had his own shop.

he custom made the hitch itself. lots and lots of bracing, like i asked.

custom made the winch carrier too , out of salvaged frame off a ford f-350.

setup is close to bomb proof.

jim65wagon

rezdiver

Adventurer
some are rated over 12000 lbs some are under 5000lbs. depends on model and make.
I believe the load rating comes from liability and insurance factors from the manufacturing company. and also what vehicle it is designed for of course.

I have the Curt front hitch receiver from etrailer.com for my 04 Dodge Dakota and it's rated for 9000lbs straight line.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Thank you for posting a pictures of your set up. I have been kicking around a similar set up for my truck for a long while. Since mine is 2wd, on street tired, and pulling a small camper I figure a front winch is the most practical way for me to increase the number of places I can get too with out modifying my truck.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting a pictures of your set up. I have been kicking around a similar set up for my truck for a long while. Since mine is 2wd, on street tired, and pulling a small camper I figure a front winch is the most practical way for me to increase the number of places I can get too with out modifying my truck.

Be careful with 2wd you might wind up getting more and more stuck the deeper in you go and use the winch.

Also a winch is only as good as it's anchor...

-Sam

D

Deleted member 9101

Be careful with 2wd you might wind up getting more and more stuck the deeper in you go and use the winch.

Also a winch is only as good as it's anchor...

-Sam

Oh I know, it would just be nice to know that I could drive out of a place that I drove into if heavy rains hit. Really I am more concerned with the added drag of my camper behind me causing me to get stuck. I want to start building it up to do the Pan-American Hw in a few years(gotta finish this deployment, and school first).

Since my truck practically lives on pavement, I don't really want to add a locker, or A/T tires. So I figure a winch with off road lights on it will get me the off road utility I need with out permanently mounting either to the truck. Plus, I can wire it in for the rear as well so I have more versatility. Really, I woudl see it as insurance rather than something I planned on using on a regular basis....lol

michaelross

J.C. Whitney sells a front receiver hitch I think. I made my own for my Cruiser and FG using steel channel and a step bumper receiver hitch. Heavy channel bolted between the frame rails and step bumper receiver bolted to the channel.

Hi, I would like to see the step bumper receiver hitch you made. I am wanting to do the same thing but I am still giving it a thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears