Front Windshield Flexible Panel

jnack

I'm looking for either a DIY or out of the box option to essentially replace a windshield sun shield. The closest out of the box option appears to be: https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-P...+solar+panel&qid=1564233220&s=gateway&sr=8-27 which looks like more solar shield than solar panel and only has output in form of USB....

I would likely want several smaller panels so when it's not in use it could fold up reasonably well and store likely between passenger seat and center console -- based on this a DIY with flexible 100W panel is out of the question.

Appreciate any insight!

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Interesting idea. You need to shade your windshield in the heat, solar panels provide shade behind them. Why not combine the two?

I think for a sun shield inside the car the option you linked is about the best you'll get; charging USB items.
If you want more serious power output I think I'd put the solar panel outside the vehicle to avoid excess heat, loss through window UV tinting, and you can get away with less specific fitment issues and better noncrystalline solar panels that are a bit more rigid. Something like this (design-wise only, I don't know if that product is good or crap): https://amzn.to/30Zb2cL
Problem is if it's outside you can only use it in places you're not worried about theft.

Folding solar panels of any kind are very susceptible to damage so I think I'd plan on better stowage than wedged between seats. Maybe slip it in a wide pocket on the backside of the front seats.

rayra

Expedition Leader
rolled up stored in a tube fashioned from a 4" dia PVC drain pipe, would be a good way to go. Or somethign off the shelf like a large diameter blueprint tube, which will come with end caps, carry handle etc.

There are a few brands of external windshidle shades, you'll usualyl find them thru RV or vehicle-storage related vendors, they lay on the glass and the ends wrap around the A pillars and are trapped by the vehicle doors. Mounting a flexible or one of the larger foldign backpacking panels ought to be a straightforward affair.

If you have a flat folding affair, at least sandwich it between some pressboard, a la an artist's portfolio case. Protect the panel surfaces from being damaged by sharp corners of other objects in your luggage.

When I bought my rigid folding panel kit I didn't like that it folded with the panels to the outside and that the cordura (600D?) nylone zippered case for it was just soft-sided. So the first thing I did was cut a couple pressboard panels to line the inner sides of the carry case with, to protect the panel surfaces. But I've since wound up semi-permanently mounting the panel on the roof of the Suburban.

dreadlocks

just get a mylar window shade and stick one of those folding contraptions outside.. though for the money they are not really worth it IMO.. you could start your engine and produce more energy in 20mins than those things would in a few days.. all those low wattage panels are battery tenders at best, able to keep a vehicle stored out behind your barn from going flat with an already charged battery.. but far from suitable for actually providing a decent charge to anything.. maybe for small batteries like phones, but on a big battery like a car battery its pissing in the ocean.

Flexible panels are super fragile, you'll be replacing em before you know it even if you just glue em down and never handle em.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears