FRP Composite panels ( US Source)

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
HC is 1/3 heavier than any type of foam core panel (same thickness) with virtually no insulation value. It's true that they are stiffer and overall more resistant to impacts but why construct with composite panels in the first place?

I'd be curious to see the numbers you are using for your claim of 1/3 heavier. My research shows that they are very close in weight or lighter. Either way, factoring in cost, availability, strength, ease of construction, etc. is how I will be making a decision.

Out of curiosity, what do your panels weigh per sq. ft.?

As for insulation, my current camper is HC and the insulation is not virtually zero. But I'll defer to the experts:
Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 9.52.52 AM.png

rruff

Explorer
As for insulation, my current camper is HC and the insulation is not virtually zero.
When I was investigating, I couldn't find a reliable R value for the HC. One important factor is that "per inch" doesn't really work because the cells are so big that air circulates inside them pretty easily, and transfers energy from the warm to cold skin. That still gives you a little resistance, but...

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I have HC floor to ceiling interior walls in our camper and one thing I noticed over time: HC panels let light penetrate through! But as I said, they are tough and easy to source.

andy_b

I have HC floor to ceiling interior walls in our camper and one thing I noticed over time: HC panels let light penetrate through! But as I said, they are tough and easy to source.

Yeah, that is a funny phenomenon that I had not thought about. When I saw that, it made me wonder what the insides of campers built primarily of honeycomb panels are like.

Victorian

Yeah, that is a funny phenomenon that I had not thought about. When I saw that, it made me wonder what the insides of campers built primarily of honeycomb panels are like.

LOL I was wondering about that many times when I overnighted in Walmart parking lots. When I close the blinds on mine, it's dark inside. No matter what's going on outside.

simple

Adventurer
I agree. With the exception of TC and a few other OEMS, high quality composite panels for this type of product are hard to find. We've recognized this need and spent the past few years developing our panel systems. We use a high quality/strength European woven FRP vacuum laminated to structural foam PET core and CNC cut to exact specs in house.

Our panels are typically 1.5” PET foam core with woven FRP in 1.5mm or 2.0mm thickness. We can provide a whole assembled unit or just panels. Here are our websites and shoot us an email if you have any questions.

www.LemkerOverland.com
www.LemkerPanels.com
Thanks for introducing your company.

Do you sell extrusion packages with panels? Do you also have instructions for bonding panels and extrusions? The 2 part extrusions look a little tricky for DIY considering the panel cut tolerances for the overlap and any fixturing during bonding.

Do you plan to make a video showing the process?

Lemker

Thanks for introducing your company.

Do you sell extrusion packages with panels? Do you also have instructions for bonding panels and extrusions? The 2 part extrusions look a little tricky for DIY considering the panel cut tolerances for the overlap and any fixturing during bonding.

Do you plan to make a video showing the process?
We do training at our facility with our builder partners, and OEMs in other industries, on panel and extrusion system assembly to help them understand how everything works. Without going through that training, we wouldn’t feel comfortable having someone assemble one of our systems.

If you need panels cut to your dimensions, or a complete assembled unit, we can definitely help you out with that. The flatbed models haven’t been added to the website yet, but we offer those as well, with and without a departure angle.

Victorian

We do training at our facility with our builder partners, and OEMs in other industries, on panel and extrusion system assembly to help them understand how everything works. Without going through that training, we wouldn’t feel comfortable having someone assemble one of our systems.

If you need panels cut to your dimensions, or a complete assembled unit, we can definitely help you out with that. The flatbed models haven’t been added to the website yet, but we offer those as well, with and without a departure angle.
Nice to see another 2021 century manufacturer entering the market. Wishing you guys all the best. But please read the forum rules and sign up to be a vendor if you like to promote your products.
Looking forward meeting up at one of the trade shows!

Alloy

I agree. With the exception of TC and a few other OEMS, high quality composite panels for this type of product are hard to find. We've recognized this need and spent the past few years developing our panel systems. We use a high quality/strength European woven FRP vacuum laminated to structural foam PET core and CNC cut to exact specs in house.

Our panels are typically 1.5” PET foam core with woven FRP in 1.5mm or 2.0mm thickness. We can provide a whole assembled unit or just panels. Here are our websites and shoot us an email if you have any questions.

www.LemkerOverland.com
www.LemkerPanels.com

Love the design of the standard panel and the cast corners are great.

The thermal break heavy duty system will work for a weekend ski trip but not long trips in below freezing temps. It's cheap to do (vs fiberglass) but old school 3/8"-1/2" solid thermal breaks aren't effective.

I was at a water (rot around windows) damaged building last week where aluminum (solid 1/2" thermal break) windows are being replaced with aluminum windows that have a 60mm nylon thermal break.

Lemker

Nice to see another 2021 century manufacturer entering the market. Wishing you guys all the best. But please read the forum rules and sign up to be a vendor if you like to promote your products.
Looking forward meeting up at one of the trade shows!
Thanks for the kind words! We look forward to getting a chance to meet in the future as well.

The thermal break heavy duty system will work for a weekend ski trip but not long trips in below freezing temps. It's cheap to do (vs fiberglass) but old school 3/8"-1/2" solid thermal breaks aren't effective.

I was at a water (rot around windows) damaged building last week where aluminum (solid 1/2" thermal break) windows are being replaced with aluminum windows that have a 60mm nylon thermal break.

Most of our customers that utilize the heavy duty extrusion are for industrial applications, but we can always make the wall panels thicker for extremely cold climates, which will widen that thermal break gap.

rruff

Explorer

www.LemkerOverland.com
www.LemkerPanels.com
Thanks for posting, that sounds very good to me!

It looks like your angles for edge extrusions are limited to 90 and 45 degrees. Is that true, and do you have any plans to offer others in the future?

Also, do you have any numbers on what panels alone with the specs above (2mm skins) would cost?

It took me awhile to find it, but I saw that you are located near Houston. That's important for people who might wish to pickup!

Lemker

Thanks for posting, that sounds very good to me!

It looks like your angles for edge extrusions are limited to 90 and 45 degrees. Is that true, and do you have any plans to offer others in the future?

Also, do you have any numbers on what panels alone with the specs above (2mm skins) would cost?

It took me awhile to find it, but I saw that you are located near Houston. That's important for people who might wish to pickup!

We are currently limited to 45 and 90 degrees, but we will most likely be offering 22.5, 30, and 60 degrees in the future.

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration for pricing, included how well something nests in our layups or design time involved, but we would be happy to get you a price for whatever your project might be if you send us an email with details.

jwiereng

www.LemkerOverland.com
www.LemkerPanels.com
Thanks for the intro

What panel thickness is accommodated with your standard extrusions and caps? I see from the website that the heavy duty is only available in 90° connections and only accommodates 1 5/8” thick panel, but I do not find info on the standard panels

Cross_Section_90-std_03.jpg
CornerCap_45__02.jpg

jwiereng

Please elaborate and explain what old school thermal breaks are and why they aren't effective? Do you mean to state that a thicker thermal break is less conductive than a thinner one?

I assume there are diminishing returns, at a certain point the thermal break U-value is same as the panel. The main thing I think we want is to make sure our corner extrusions and connectors are not colder than the dew point inside the enclosure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior