FRS Radio Mounted Outside Vehicle?

Has anyone tried to mount a Back Country Access “BCA Link” FRS Radio to the rain gutter of a vehicle and then run the wire for its combination speaker/mic/control to the inside?

Tell me more about your objective?
Just trying to think of a legal way to gain the benefits of an antenna external to the vehicle under FRS rules. I am still missing my old Radio Shack ‘2150’ (?) FRS Radio that cleverly put everything (except the speaker/mic and radio controls) in a mag-mount pod on the car roof😊

slomatt

Adventurer
Are you specifically only looking for FRS, or also open to GMRS?

Midland makes multiple models with separate antennas, at it appears that at least some of them are FCC certified. Other companies such as Rugged Radios make similar units, I don't know if they are FCC certified or not.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You may in theory be able to extend the cable between the radio and hand mic on a BCA but it's not going to be an off-the-shelf option. Then how are you going to mount the radio body outside? Or you'll have to figure out how to rig up an antenna, which will require modifying and maybe breaking the case.

You'll have less headache just paying for a GMRS license and getting a radio that can legal and easily accommodate an external antenna.

The FCC rules for FRS are pretty specific about it being a low power and handheld with a fixed antenna.

BTW, the radio you had was a Radio Shack 21-1850. There's a few on eBay. One downside is this radio was under the old rules so is 0.5W on all channels and only used the pre-2017 14 FRS channels.

FRS-CHEAT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I do have dual-band ‘ham’ and GMRS radios (with external antennas) installed in my LR Defender.

I will be getting a another SUV and began to engage in something of a ‘thought experimen’t’ to see how simple of an effective radio setup that I (and others without FCC License) could use for convoy communications. I was drawn to the BC Link 2.0 due to its unique two-part configuration. Please see photo below. (As it turns out, I have purchased a Midland MicroMobile GMRS Radio for the future vehicle).1701803396571.png

1701803396571.png

DaveInDenver

Yes, but that doesn’t help the “unlicensed masses” who would like to get better performance (through use of an exterior antenna) when using FRS radios inside their vehicles.
That's exactly why GMRS exists.

FRS and GMRS interoperate on the same frequencies but when you go to an external antenna, wider bandwidth and more power the FCC likes to know so they can have some chance at minimizing interference. If you want to do more elaborate things you can step up to ham. It's taken a few decades and it's not perfect but ther are tiers that allow a fairly reasonable level of technology commiserate with your licensing level.

You can have your immediate family use GMRS under your license (and presumed knowledge) and other people just have to deal with their own things.

Last edited:
That's exactly why GMRS exists.

FRS and GMRS interoperate on the same frequencies but when you go to an external antenna, wider bandwidth and more power the FCC likes to know so they can have some chance at minimizing interference. If you want to do more elaborate things you can step up to ham. It's taken a few decades and it's not perfect but ther are tiers that allow a fairly reasonable level of technology commiserate with your licensing level.

You can have your immediate family use GMRS under your license (and presumed knowledge) and other people just have to deal with their own things.
All true about GMRS and ham, but, back in the day, Radio Shack certainly found a market for their ‘plug and play’ 21-1850
vehicle mounted radios (even though such a FRS transmitter was then restricted to 25% of the current power limit)!

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have a baofeng gmrs9R. Came preprogrammed. Has a removable antenna. Just add a magnet mount antenna and you're good to go. Other than applying for a $35 license thats pretty plug and play.
Btw, I am licensed. WRVR507. Only bad part is I've not memorized my call sign since unlike my ham call I don't use it often.

DaveInDenver

All true about GMRS and ham, but, back in the day, Radio Shack certainly found a market for their ‘plug and play’
vehicle mounted radios (even though such a FRS transmitter was then restricted to 25% of the current power limit)!
That RS radio adhered to the letter of the rule having a non-detachable antenna but it was clever in making the form factor work for mobile, which was skirting the FCC's intention. There was some question during the type acceptance (FCC ID AAO2101850) about it and the FCC initially rejected it. That was way back 23 years ago now!

The 1/2 watt limit is still true on channels 8 to 14. But that's also the GMRS limit on those shared channels.

Although I'm not sure how much of a market it found since it never sold in big numbers. Also, Radio Shack went bankrupt and is gone now. It was down to just you and me shopping there at the end.

It would be about $140 in 2023. It was $79.99 in the 2002 catalog. You can get a Midland MXT275 GMRS mobile and antenna package for $165 now and that's gets you 15 watts, 22 channels, NOAA NWS radio and the option to use a different antenna (or replace it when it breaks, which was the problem with the 21-1850).

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 9.57.09 AM.png

Last edited:
That RS radio adhered to the letter of the rule having a non-detachable antenna but it was clever in making the form factor work for mobile, which was skirting the FCC's intention. There was some question during the type acceptance about it and the FCC initially rejected it. That was way back 23 years ago now!

The 1/2 watt limit is still true on channels 8 to 14. But that's also the GMRS limit on those shared channels.

Although I'm not sure how much of a market it found since it never sold in big numbers. Also, Radio Shack went bankrupt and is gone now. It was down to just you and me shopping there at the end.

It would be about $140 in 2023. It was $79.99 in the 2002 catalog. You can get a Midland MXT275 GMRS mobile and antenna package for $165 now and that's gets you 15 watts, 22 channels, NOAA NWS radio and the option to use a different antenna (or replace it when it breaks, which was the problem with the 21-1850).

View attachment 809286
Indeed, the Midland MXT275 GMRS is about as close to a “plug-and-play” radio as you can get today (and is the model I have purchased for my next vehicle).
Bill
(WQXH544)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Are you rather looking at pumping modulated DATA through this? Not simply voice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online