Frustrated DSLR vs P&S

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've surely mentioned this before, but my frustration continues. I love my Canon XTi, but I don't really like post-processing, and I feel the camera demands post-processing to get the most out of it. I've taken some great (to me) pictures, but the problem with post-processing is that I'm never quite satisfied with my adjustments.

I like to take pictures of places and things - not to be artistic, but to document (vacations, events, trails). I still want my shots to be top-notch in terms of IQ, but if I take 100 pictures, I don't want to feel compelled to spend a ton of time tweaking them individually. Apps like Lightroom make this easy, but still - given the power to tweak, I feel compelled to tweak.

If there is a particular shot that I want to get, then I would gladly take the time to post-process, but this is seldom my goal.

Art is exhausting. It comes naturally to some - flowing like water from a faucet. To me, its like wringing out a damp wash rag, trying to coax out only a few drips of creativity. You can always get just a little bit more with every twist, but its never much... and its never enough.

I never ever felt dissatisfied with my point-and-shoot cameras. But then I decided to get the DSLR (to replace a broken p&s), and suddenly I have doubt. Granted I love the camera itself. I love its speed, ergonomics, I love shooting with it, I love its interchangeable lenses. Now that I've experienced these characteristics, I think it'd be difficult to revert back to a point-and-shoot camera (such as a Canon G-series). I've invested so much in the DSLR, and I acknowledge that it is capable of better pictures than a p&s. What I'm not sure of - is it better for me?

:mixed-smiley-030:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
When I first started playing with RAW, I spent a ton of time post-processing. After a few (6?) months, I only tweak a few pics out of the lot. Of course, I'm not all that creative....but I lost the desire to tweak everything after a short time.

Maybe you'll do the same.

Oh, don't feel bad about going back to P&S. Both P&S and dSLR have the places....I'm actually looking for a decent P&S to carry on the moto for the shorter trips, just because the dSLR is so bulky and time consuming to use.

Scott Brady

Founder
What P&S did you use before? Many of the P&S (Fuji principally) cameras do image processing right in the processor. They add contrast, improve saturation, warming, etc.

You can do some of that with the DSLR. For example, force the camera to shoot 1/3 stop under and see if your custom functions allow for a different color profile, etc. Lenses and their coating also play a role in this.

Scott Brady

Founder
I know that Chris (BajaTaco) went through this transition as well, having started with a nice Canon P&S A80 (or similar). He might be able to provide some insight.

Scott Brady

Founder
goodtimes said:
Oh, don't feel bad about going back to P&S. Both P&S and dSLR have the places....I'm actually looking for a decent P&S to carry on the moto for the shorter trips, just because the dSLR is so bulky and time consuming to use.

Canon G9, all the way baby!

Michael Slade

Untitled
Shoot .jpg for a while on your DSLR, pretend it's a P&S. This is all in your head. Just because you *can* do post, doesn't mean you *should* do post.

This is how I am going to teach my basic photo class next fall. All .jpgs, no photoshop, no post production, no nothing...just 'Preview'.

Get it out of your head that you have to do post and you'll be happier. Then when you want to, you can later.

computeruser

Explorer
I've got a nifty little Fuji FinePix E550 that I'll trade ya even-up, if you're really itching to get back to the world of P&S. I'll even cover the shipping to get the DSLR to me! :victory:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
What P&S did you use before? Many of the P&S (Fuji principally) cameras do image processing right in the processor. They add contrast, improve saturation, warming, etc.

You can do some of that with the DSLR. For example, force the camera to shoot 1/3 stop under and see if your custom functions allow for a different color profile, etc. Lenses and their coating also play a role in this.

I've used a Canon Powershot G2, and then switched to a Canon Powershot S80. The S80 was brilliant, though apparently the last of the S-series line.

81594810_654678753c.jpg

81639383_6a86fea6a4.jpg

When I first got my Digital Rebel XTi, I adjusted the in-camera processing and shot solely in JPG for the first six months. Increased the saturation a little bit, color tone, and maxed the sharpening. Shot mostly in Av and P, and kept the ISO at a middle-of-the-road 400, and adjusted it depending on whether light was scarce or abundant. I've only switched to RAW more recently, at which point, I reset the processing back to default.

Exposure was the first thing that didn't meet my satisfaction. The photos would be properly exposed, showing superb detail in both lights and darks. Great for post, but for some reason not as satisfying out of camera (usually too dark) compared to what I'd expect from my point-and-shoots. Initially, I'd leave it stepped up 1/3, but I gradually learned to adjust it based on the scene.

Yesterday, I went for a hike in a wooded valley with the boy. It was an overcast, shady day. There isn't any foliage on the trees yet, and his coat was olive green, so there really wasn't any contrast whatsoever. The IQ was generally good, but the pictures were down-right dull out of the camera (XTi w/ 10-22). There were 72 pictures, all of which I warmed up a little, but I gave a half-dozen or so some extra attention in Lightroom. Honestly, I don't feel like I accomplished much, hence today's frustration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/72157604141840521/

Michael Slade

Untitled
Maybe you're frustrated not so much with the post production, but the images themselves. Not every shot is going to be a keeper. 99 out of 100 will fail so that the 1 can succeed.

Michael Slade

Untitled
expeditionswest said:
Michael,

I hope to be that good someday ;)

Yup. It's my goal too. I have a project I'm working on right now that's over 8000 images large, almost 500GB in size. If I'm lucky I have 80 good ones. Probably closer to 40.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Michael Slade said:
Maybe you're frustrated not so much with the post production, but the images themselves.

Well, I didn't expect any of the images to be extraordinary, only as good as possible. My mission was only to preserve fond memories of our hike, which was accomplished without post-processing.

Nevertheless, I did try to improve upon those pictures with post-processing, and didn't become frustrated because of failure, but because of how much time I felt obligated to allocate to the process. I thought it was necessary, but I'd prefer not to feel that way for casual photography. Obviously, I need to draw a line.

Don't you guys do any snap-shooting? You know, just for memories and good times?

Michael Slade

Untitled
Snap shooting? Hehe, it's hard actually. I try to let my kids take those pictures. It gives them practice with the camera, and they feel pretty 'grown up' when they can take my camera and go play.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have shot with my Canon G3 for years, but have been going through the change from my film Nikons to DSLR. First thing I learned is that ISO and white balance are important to getting good pictures.

Also, the workflow of post processing requires you to replace the film processing that is done in the lab. There is some disciplne and organization involved in the process.

TeleScooby

Adventurer
I find myself in a similar boat right now. My p&s died (see photo critiquing thread) and I find that I just don't have the time and/or desire to take my D70 out, get kitted up, load up the tripod, and go shoot. Then there's the hours I'd spend in front of GIMP (can't afford PS) trying to make them perfect...

I did find that i was using the p&s quite a bit more...I'm seriously considering selling my D70 and all it's accoutrements and just investing in something like the G9 that's small enough that I'll grab it on the way out the door, but allows me to make some manual adjustments...

Just a feeler, anyone know what a D70 would go for on the used market? Sorry for the hijack...PM if anyone has any thoughts...thanks, and now back to your regularly scheduled thread =>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan