Frustrated DSLR vs P&S

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
How is the shutter lag on the G9?

Might get my first P&S digital soon, and one for my wife too. She (and I) really don't like P&S shutter lag.

Spenser

Adventurer
The G9 is an excellent, all around camera. The shutter lag is similar to a typical DSLR, but no where near as slow as my Pentax Optio Point and shoot. The only drawback, so far, with the G9 is the need for flash unit for flash photos, you get shadow in right hand corner, espeically with the Lensmate (highly recommeded) as is the Richard Franec grip and thumb holder. The camera is small enough to take anywhere, especially with the change from neck strap to wrist strap. Good review and road test of the G9 in comparison to Leica in this read.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/G9-Japan.shtml

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Chris, the colors coming out of your DSLR should be no different then what comes out of a point and shoot. Most point and shoots use the sRGB color space which is pretty much the standard. When you view things on the web, or on a monitor that has not been profiled for larger color spaces you are viewing things in a small sRGB color space. If you just want to snap and view without all the fuss, make sure your camera is capturing in sRGB and not a bigger profile like Adobe RGB 1998. Most DSLR's have an option to change the color space they capture in.

The washed out dull colors you're getting could be a result of color clipping. If you're DSLR is capturing in Adobe RGB 1998 but you are viewing with sRGB, some colors captured in the bigger Adobe RGB space may fall outside of the smaller sRGB color space. Those colors that fall outside will show grey and can make photos look dull. Just something to check. I've been there before, wondering what the .....

Edit, also if you're using Lightroom make sure you convert and export using sRGB. Everything opened in Lightroom is opened in the ProPhoto color space which is huge. If you export using ProPhoto things will look really dull when viewed in other apps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan