FS/FT: Nimbl/XPCamper #14; 2007 Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab - $155,000 Boulder CO

Pgopinath

EDITED TITLE: I added the word Nimbl to the vehicle because like all the other "Nimbls" posted in this forum, this too is an XPCampert that has been re-badged as a Nimbl.

To respond to some questions i received by PM, a true "Nimbl" camper would have the following distinguishing characteristics:
1. All windows and the skylight would be Arctic Tern
2. There would be a single elongated window spanning almost the full length of the wall behind the galley
3. The air and water heating system would NOT be a Webasto Dualtop but would be two separate Webasto units
4. The lift mechanism for the camper top would be hydraulic and not electric

If you don't wish to wade through all the details below there should be an attached pdf or please message me and request it. Pictures in following posts and also in the attached pdf. I have tried to be as thorough and transparent as possible. I am sure to have missed some key detail so please feel free to ask.

If i got it right the Google Drive folder linked below should have all the photos and the complete text of the listing.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X7RI56wCJest8zJ-knBBVSXOmZvaqDSo?usp=sharing

XPCamper Closed.JPG
XPCamper Opened.jpg

After three years of ownership and several exciting trips my wife and I have decided to replace our XPCamper. We, and the camper, are located in Boulder, CO.

Reason for sale: My wife and I both recently retired and we have been traveling a lot more with two adults (sometimes three) and a large German Shepherd. We are looking at campers which may not be as suited to rugged off-road travel but can accommodate this mix of travelers. A pass-through for the dog and four belted seats and three sleeping positions are on our list.

Price and Pricing Rationale: $155,000 OBO. Also open to trades with cash in either direction as long as the trade vehicle meets my requirements and is in decent condition.

A new camper and flatbed from Nimbl starts at a base of $297,000. (Nimbl recently stopped accepting new orders to work through their backlog of orders) Add in the cost for a new F350 or Ram 3500 at a minimum of $80,000 plus necessary suspension work of $10,000 to $25,000 depending on how complete you go and it would cost around $400,000 to get a new camper. Lead times on new Nimbl campers are being quoted as around 12 months but the most recent three campers took 18-24 months for completion and priced out at over $500k when done. There are three XPCamper/Nimbl rigs for sale on ExPO priced at $125,000, $360,000, and $350,000. All of these offer different value propositions for a buyer that is in the market for a rig like this.

Attractive Features of this Camper:
  • 2007 Ram 3500: The last generation of non-DEF non-ULSD Ram truck that was manufactured. These are especially attractive if you are contemplating a trip down the PanAm where ULSD diesel and DEF are not always readily available. This situation is much improved from 3-4 years ago but there are still pockets of no ULSD fuel or fuel of suspect quality
  • Low Miles: The Ram 5.9L 24V diesel is a famously reliable and long-lived engine. At 122,000 miles currently this engine has several hundred thousand miles left in it
  • Container Shipment: The dimensions of the rig allow it to be container shipped. There is nothing on the roof that precludes container shipment
  • RORO Shipment: If you chose to ship the camper RORO then a couple of factors are important to note. The camper house is completely separate from the truck cab with no-passthrough between the two. All your personal effects can be safely and securely locked away in the house portion.
  • No-Lithium: Shippers are now refusing to RORO ship any camper which has a lithium battery bank. This recent change was triggered by the fire on a car-transporter ship which resulted in several high value cars being lost at sea. This camper has no lithium house batteries on board and can be safely shipped RORO or in a container
  • High end parts: Almost every major component of the truck has been replaced with the best, suited-for-function aftermarket part I could source. This can be driven with confidence at speed on US freeways and then taken off-road on technical trails to access remote campsites
  • On/Off Road Manners: The full-loaded camper will comfortably cruise at 75mph to 80mph on US freeways. It has enough torque to pass on the left lane on I70 passes in Colorado. The tuned-for-weight suspension handles crosswinds, emergency maneuvers, and passing-lane semi-truck buffeting with complete aplomb.
Background
The truck camper combination was purchased in 2020 from the first/original owners who had commissioned the build from the (now defunct) XPCamper company. Nimbl took over the assets of XPCamper and are manufacturing campers with the same basic architecture with improvements based on currently available technology. This particular truck spent 4 years on the PanAm under previous ownership. I purchased this with the intention of running the PanAm but Covid cost me two years and my wife delayed her retirement by two years. We are now at a point where it isn't practical to contemplate a multi-year PanAm trip nor do we want to rush and do it just to “check the box”.

Attachments

• Sale_Of_XP.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Pgopinath

Truck Included Features and Accessories
  • 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab, SRW 4WD w/ 5.9L Cummins Diesel – this was the last year of the non DEF/ULSD diesel trucks
  • Weight: The fully loaded truck with two passengers, personal belongings, 62 gals diesel, 70 gals fresh water, 3.3 gals in the toilet flush tank, and an empty gray water tank weighs in at 12655 lbs. The front axle carries 5758 lbs the rear axle carries 6897 lbs. These numbers obviously depend on the specific loadout
  • New in 2020 - Jake Brake
  • ARB Front Winch Bumper
  • WARN Winch 16.5ti with synthetic rope. Wired remote included. Bluetooth module added for control by phone. Blue Sea manual disconnect switch added along with forward Baja Designs under bumper light which comes on when the Blue Sea disconnect is turned on. The Blue Sea disconnect was added in 2020 to eliminate any risk of an electrical fire in the event of a front impact which could compromise the high current winch wiring
  • New in 2022/2024 - Five new BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 LT285/65R18 125/122R E
  • New in 2022/2024 – Method MR701HD Blk Paint 18x9 wheels
  • ICON 2.5’’ Lift Suspension System: Coil Springs, Shocks, Stabilizer bar
  • New in 2020 – Adjustable Remote reservoir Icons with custom valving for weight of rig installed by The Shop Automotive in Boulder
  • New in 2020 – Full set of weight matched rear leaf springs designed installed by Rocky Mountain Spring in Colorado Springs
  • Air Bags Firestone Ride Rite
  • ARB rear locker (Air operated locking differential). ARB manifold and the air line for a front differential is in place for future installation
  • Original XPCamper installed switch for lockers replaced with a Toyota rotary switch that ensures complete safety of operating sequence
  • Dynatrac Free Spin kit on front axle
  • New in 2020 - Front Hellwig Sway bar with drop links
  • New in 2020 - Rear Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar
  • New in 2020 – Redhead Heavy Duty Steering Box
  • New in 2023 – Steering system upgraded with Thuren Fabrication damper and all upgraded bushings
  • Steering tie rods
  • AFE Power Rear Differential Cover
  • ARB Differential breather kit
  • Performance enhancement package:
    • Volant Air Intake System, MBRP exhaust system
    • New in 2020: Catalytic converter
    • Pure Flow Airdog 100 (Fuel Pump)
  • TITAN Diesel fuel tank (62 gallon)
  • New in 2021 ARB Dual compressor with tank and hoses mounted in driver side flatbed under box
  • ARB 37 quart Refrigerator installed in the back of the truck (single seat removed). Currently removed to allow dog to travel. Removed single seat is not available. Currently removed rear double seat is included in sale and will be reinstalled
  • XPC Skidplate
  • 3M Automotive security window film
  • Ravelco Anti-Theft Device with two keys
  • Truck A/C fully serviced/replaced in 2022 at Dodge dealer in Grand Rapids MN
  • New in 2021 and 2022 - Dual sPOD setup. Truck cab sPOD controls ARB compressor and all external lighting. Cabin sPOD is tied to cab sPOD and mirrors all its controls and provides additional page of switches for future cabin related circuits
  • New in 2022 - Front and Rear bumper air outlets (Schrader Valves) added for airing up/down
  • New in 2023: Complete front axle. This was replaced at Price Dodge when the front differential failed on I70 in Utah
  • New in 2023: Driver side rear hub, both rear brakes and associated hardware and brake lines. This was necessitated when the driver’s side rear wheel lost tow lug nuts (improperly torqued) and sheared the remaining lug bolts.
  • New in 2023: Driver’s side rear wheel and tire
  • New is 2022: AC inputs mounted in front bumper for the engine block heater and a NoCo trickle charger for starter batteries
Truck Lighting
  • Truck headlights were completely replaced by Dodge in 2020. Led bulbs from Headlight Experts were installed in 2023
  • Front bumper has Baja Design Amber LP9s with dual pattern lenses. Clear lenses will be provided if I can find them.
  • Baja Design S2Pros installed on Front Bumper as cornering lights
  • IPF 900 Dual Beam lights with 110/80 watt bulbs installed on A-Pillars as ditch lights
  • Baja Design S2 Sport amber installed under front bumper to indicate when winch circuit is live and serve as winch assistance
  • Two Baja Design S2s installed under rear bumper to assist in reversing and parking
  • Two Golights on roof with two sets of remote controls. The Pan functions work. The tilt functions do not work
  • All external lights mentioned are controlled by the sPOD touch screen in the cabin and a secondary touch screen in cabin on galley upper cabinet
  • Marker lights around perimeter of flatbed

Pgopinath

Camper and Tray – Included Features and Accessories

Electrical System
  • 4 Flex solar panels @ 160W ea. 640 Watts of Solar panels on roof
  • New in 2023 - Original PWM solar charge controller replaced with Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller. Work done by Titan Vans Boulder
  • New in 2022 – 4 Lifeline 6V/300AH AGM batteries for a total of 12V/600AH battery capacity. Work done by The Shop Automotive Boulder
  • Magnum Pure Sine Inverter 2000w 12V with BMS
  • New in 2022 - AC load management module added in electrical bay to priority load balance between microwave and induction cooktop
  • New in 2021 – 120VAC/USB outlet added on side of galley cabinet for charging phones at night
  • New in 2023 - Galley countertop 120VACand USB outlets installed
  • 120VAC and 12V outlets in dinette area under the seats
Cabin Lighting
  • 3 Led ceiling puck lights with individual switches
  • New in 2021 - Additional Led strip lighting added to rear of galley upper cabinet
  • New in 2023: bedside gooseneck Led reading light with USB-A outlet
  • Night light and external safety light for steps into cabin
  • New in 2022: LED integrated lighting in Maxxfan surrounds
Galley and Dinette
  • Stainless steel flush mounted sink with fold-down faucet
  • Hip bump switch to conserve water usage
  • Dometic CoolMatic CRX-110 compressor refrigerator/freezer
  • Originally had a Webasto Diesel cooktop which was replaced by a True two burner induction cooktop. Work done in 2022 by Titan Vans in Boulder
  • Marine hardware for all hinges and latches in cabinets
  • New in 2021 – outdoor kitchen installed in rear pullout tray consisting of Cook Partner two burner stove and mounted propane tank
  • Dometic Microwave in lower galley cabinet
  • New in 2023 - Galley countertop backsplash storage added for spices and sink accessories
  • New dinette table top installed in 2022 by Titan Vans
  • Dinette table drops down to create a single bed
HVAC
  • New in 2022 - 2 Maxxfans with remotes. Reversible, speed controlled. One located above galley stove and one above wet bath
  • New in 2022 – Maxxfan surround with integrated Led lighting and pull-shut shades to reduce light and solar gain
  • 4 dual pane Dometic windows with bug screens and shades.
  • Large skylight/escape hatch over the bed. Newly replaced in 2023 with new Dometic unit. Work done by Titan Vans Boulder
  • Webasto Dualtop diesel water and air Heater with three heating vents in cabin and additional vents in all water compartments for operation in freezing weather
  • Upgraded and larger diesel tank for Webasto Dualtop was added in 2022 with two separate fuel level monitoring displays added – one in rear storage and one in main cabin
  • New in 2021 – Temperature controlled exhaust fan behind galley cabinets to exhaust heat from refrigerator for more efficient operation
  • Caframo Bora 12V fan mounted behind wet bath compartment
Sleep
  • Queen size over-cab bed with Froli box spring system
  • 1.5’’ memory foam mattress topper. Thicker mattress is not recommended because of interference with Dometic Skylight.
  • Dinette seating and table converts to a single bed
Convenience and Safety
  • Dometic Manual Awning 10’ polar with remote control and LED lights – LED lights were fully replaced in 2021. Awning ends were cracked on the trail. White replacement parts were not available in 2021 due to COVID supply chain issues. The end parts are black OEM parts
  • Additional “Shady Boy” awning mounted on L-Track under the main dinette window. This shades the outside galley mounted in the pullout metal drawer
  • Two CO/CO2 monitors installed in cabin
  • Smoke detector installed on ceiling
  • Under bed storage with custom XPCamper branded storage bags
  • New in 2023 - L-Track mounted on passenger side outside of camper for mounting MaxTtrax recovery boards (Maxtrax not included in sale)
  • New in 2023 - L-Track mounted adjacent to entry door
  • Trash can mounted on the outside wall of the wet bath provides easy access while cooking
Water Systems
  • 72 gallon (270 l) heated fresh water tank with vented external fill port
  • 27 gallon (102 l) grey water tank
  • Inside Wet bath: Shower / Thetford Cassette toilet C402. The wet bath has a lift up lid which deploys the shower curtain. When the bath/toilet is not in use the top stays down and offers additional counter/work space
  • Outside shower/washdown: There is an outside shower mounted inside the rear storage compartment. This provides a hot cold mixing valve for showers or washing down dogs/bikes/feet/muddy kids etc. The original OEM external shower was replaced in 2021 with a better designed shower
  • Johnson Pump Aqua Jet Water Pressure Sys for routing fresh water to galley, internal wet bath, and external shower
  • All water tanks and water lines are in conditioned and heated space for winter usage
  • Sump pump under galley cabinet which pumps all drain water into grey water tank. Sump pump was replaced in 2020. New spare sump pump included in sale
  • 3M Whole Vehicle Water Filtration. Filter replaced in 2023
  • UV Water purification system controlled by switch in cabin. UV bulb replaced in 2023
  • New macerator pump in 2023 to drain gray tank
  • New Thermostatic shower valve installed in 2023 to replace original valve. This ensures an even temperature shower when the water pump cycles on/off
  • IRVWPC installed in 2023 to smooth out water pump cycling and ensure smooth flow
Storage
  • Four lockable joey storage boxes mounted below the flatbed. These currently hold the Arb compressor, recovery gear, tools, leveling blocks, chocks, and miscellaneous chemicals and hoses.
  • Large pullout “basement” tray. This is a five foot long pullout tray built into the rear of the flatbed. This currently holds the Chef Partner propane stove, propane cylinder, spare tire crank, awning crank, and various odds and ends. It can also hold two MaxTrax recovery boards if one elects to not use the external mounted L-Track.
  • Underseat storage in truck: There are storage cubbies under both the rear seats
  • Beneath cab-over Bed: The queen bed in the camper has a lift up lid with gas assist lift. There is ample storage under the bed for XPCamper designed packing cubes that exactly fit the space
  • There are two overhead cabinets in the galley, one lower cabinet under the sink, and a storage bin under the passenger side dinette seat
  • There are two additional built in storage bins at the foot of the bed
  • There is a large rectangular built-in storage bin at the outside rear of the camper. This is heated. Adjacent to this is a storage bin with a flip-up lid. This holds the dedicated fuel tank for the Webasto Dualtop heater. It also stores all the accessories for refueling the tank and has room for a siphon, vinyl gloves, towels, etc

Pgopinath

Known Issues
  • All windows and screens/shades are Dometic/Seitz. These are no longer supported in the US by Dometic. Spare and repair parts are difficult to source. Parts and complete units frequently show up on ebay
  • The window in the upper entry door does not latch open. It is missing a spring retained ball that holds it in the open position. I haven't been able to find parts to repair it
  • The square window in the dinette area has a screen/shade that has lost its spring tension. I have not been able to find a replacement inside frame for this
  • The passenger side dinette seat cushion has a seam that has opened. This will be repaired before sale if I can find a seamstress to fix it
  • There is some pin-striping on the passenger side of the truck from a camping trip
  • The pull-out vegetable and fruit trays in the fridge are cracked but functional
  • There is a small dimple in the galley countertop material adjacent to the sink. Origin unknown but I suspect it was from previous ownership and the top being lowered onto something left on the countertop
  • The driver’s side rear seat was removed during the original build to install the Dometic fridge/freezer. I don't have the seat. The passenger side and middle rear sets are in place
  • There are several hairline cracks in the gel coat consistent with an eight year old fiberglass camper. These are purely superficial in nature. Nimbl can fix them as a priced service. I didn’t think it was worth the spend or the drive to Nimbl. Deeper cracks were repaired by Nimbl in 2023
  • The tenting material in the sleep area shows areas of mild discoloration. I regularly air out the top and clean the tenting material with a weak solution of bleach to sanitize the material especially if it has been exposed to rain.
  • The top zipper on the sleep area tent has lost one end and has been repaired with thin metal wire. This has held securely during my 3+ years of ownership. Nimbl can repair this or replace with their newer, better insulated, and more expensive, current generation of tent. I have found a shop in Tampa that will repair this. The tent will be sent to them for a repair and refresh.
Noteworthy Incidents

I have had two “incidents” while the camper has been in my ownership:
  • June 2023: We were driving on I70W just past Thompson Springs when the front differential completely failed. The rig was flatbed towed to the Dodge dealership in Price UT. They diagnosed that the steering stabilizer had been pushed into the oversized differential cover and had worn through it causing all the oil to leak out. The entire front axle was replaced as part of the repair. Also the steering stabilizer was replaced with a much better Thuren unit. The vehicle handles superbly now
  • October 2023: We were driving north on I35 just past Ames, IA. I felt a progressively worsening vibration through the steering wheel. As I was slowing down and moving over to the berm to check it out, the driver’s side rear wheel came off. I was able to safely steer the truck to the berm and out of the traffic lanes. The camper was flat bed towed to Deery Ames Dodge. They diagnosed that two of the lug nuts had been improperly torqued. Those lug nuts came off and the resulting vibration sheared the other lug bolts. The repair consisted of replacing the entire rear hub and both rear brakes and all brake lines. A new wheel and tire were purchased and installed. I now own a good Torque wrench and regularly check all lug nut torques.
  • Also worth noting: Stellantis/Fiat Chrysler America has a recall on 4th gen Dodge heavy duty trucks for wheel lug failures caused by over-torquing. I have asked my local Dodge dealer to check into whether this applies to 3rd Gen Ram trucks too

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I came to know the seller years ago when he became part of the very small group of Earthroamer Jeep owners and we have kept in touch since then. I don’t know this exact rig very well, but I do know its owner as a gentleman and—as you can undoubtedly tell from the comprehensive information provided—as a conscientious steward of his rigs.

(And good luck with the sale, my friend, and with the considerable challenge of finding your optimum replacement.)

Pgopinath

Thank you Mike. The option space is rich and varied. I am sanguine about the prospects of finding something, which while not perfect, will meet the needs of our next stage of travels.
I came to know the seller years ago when he became part of the very small group of Earthroamer Jeep owners and we have kept in touch since then. I don’t know this exact rig very well, but I do know its owner as a gentleman and—as you can undoubtedly tell from the comprehensive information provided—as a conscientious steward of his rigs.

(And good luck with the sale, my friend, and with the considerable challenge of finding your optimum replacement.

Pgopinath

Very nice. Good luck with your sale. If you don't mind telling me, what new camper product are you looking at?
I have not decided yet. We have found that for our travel needs the following are mandatory: a passthrough, an inside toilet and shower, an inside galley, all subsystems serviceable by a reasonably competent owner/operator, and minimal complexity of the habitat shell (one less thing to break and strand you in a remote location).

I have been looking at the Rossmonster Baja, the EC Terranova, and some van based campers.

Last edited:

Spencer for Hire

I have decided yet. We have found that for our travel needs the following are mandatory: a passthrough, an inside toilet and shower, an inside galley, all subsystems serviceable by a reasonably competent owner/operator, and minimal complexity of the habitat shell (one less thing to break and strand you in a remote location).

I have been looking at the Rossmonster Baja, the EC Terranova, and some van based campers.
Thank You. Aeon might fit your needs. https://www.instagram.com/aeonrv/

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
This is a great price for a proven expedition platform. An excellent opportunity for someone who wants an off-road capable, self-sufficient, and extremely comfortable camper.

Pgopinath

Thank You. Aeon might fit your needs. https://www.instagram.com/aeonrv/
Quite so. I looked at the AeonRV at an outdoor show last fall. Jim was kind enough to do a detailed walkthrough and explain the design points. It is on my list of candidates but I have a slight preference for something that is made closer to home (CO) where I can drop in for service and maintenance band for repairs when something inevitably goes kaput.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan