FS SoCal: '19 ZR2 Bison Duramax Crew 36k Miles $35k

SOneThreeCoupe

Life got in the way and I'm not using the truck as intended, so it has to go.

2019 ZR2 Bison Duramax Crew, just under 37k miles but going up as it's my daily. Full AEV skid package. Warn 9.5 winch with remote. N-Fab rocker protection with bolt-on steps (not installed but included).

Bought in January 2020 from Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa with 7,788 miles. Has the Bose sound system, heated seats, heated steering wheel, navigation, Apple CarPlay, etc.

My only mods were more tie-downs in the bed (apologies for the mismatched Nissan hardware, it's what I had and it's a truck), 33s (255/80R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in load range E for stronger sidewalls), and 589Fab damper skids (rattle can cleared). No damper leaks.

Truck has AEV 33" tire clearance kit, so no rubbing with the 33s. Also has more caster than stock, and I'm running a little negative camber to counteract a twisty commute and tall sidewalls. Have copy of alignment sheet.

33s, bought in late March '23, have one off-road trip and no major road trips on them. I'll include the TPMS sync tool so you can rotate tires. Speedometer correction has not been done to account for the ~7% difference the 33s yield.

Everything works- auto/hi/low 4WD, f/r lockers, exhaust brake. No check engine, will be sold with fresh smog check to in-state buyers. I did oil changes and fuel filter change myself, only used ACDelco filters and Dexos 2-approved oil. Only used Peak BlueDEF, and the majority of the fill-ups were from a Shell station.

I'm very soft on vehicles mechanically and treated the truck right. I've towed a ~1300lb trailer approximately eight miles but other than that have not towed.

I used a seat pad from the time the truck was approximately 9k miles old. Interior in good condition, not perfect. Exterior in very good condition; I either lead or stay far back when on trips with other vehicles. Was used as a truck, but given it's the most expensive vehicle I've had, treated with some degree of kindness.

Been off-road a few hundred miles, but was mostly my commuter. Really comfortable on road trips and gets 24+mpg loaded. I did a trip to San Diego drafting behind semis and managed over 34mpg indicated. I'm putting all my fill-ups and mileages into a spreadsheet for data's sake, will include with sale.

Edit: I have 76 fill-ups covering 25,945.14 miles. Over those miles, I used 1,302.86 gallons of diesel. My average mpg has been 20.07. Best tank was 25.65mpg and worst tank was 17.57mpg. I never filled the 21.0 gallon tank more than 19.491 gallons. Longest driven on a single tank was 444.05 miles.

Gonna miss it. If you have qualms about bed length, interior dimensions, or anything else, please shoot me a PM and I can send you dimensions. I took fairly detailed measurements for a rear seat cargo setup that never left planning stages.

Will require meeting at a Chase bank to pay off loan and pay remaining amount. I can make myself available Fri/Sat/Sun most weeks.

Willing to go to San Diego or up to Orange County/Corona for serious buyers, located in north San Diego county.

Will take an appropriate amount off for a detail, I can't have one done before sale.

I'm pretty sure the extended warranty I have (10yrs/100k) transfers. Will read the fine print and update. I was incorrect about the length of the warranty, it's an 84-month warranty with a 100k mile limit, so the truck is protected by Ally Premier Protection Major Guard until 01/25/2027 and 107,788 miles. There's a $200 deductible and it's fully transferable.

Price is $35k OBO. It's priced fairly for a Bison. For posterity's sake, this sold for $34,500.

I have nearly 200 pictures. If you want a cold startup video, I can provide it. If you want a driving video, I can provide it.

Links to Albums: removed

Last edited:

velonut

I really like this truck...but wishing it had a 6' bed, I will be in the market to purchase a mid-size pick up in the near future and have gone from looking at the Tacoma, to the Ranger with extended cab...but this Chevy has me thinking. Love the diesel as I have been running VW Tdi's for the last 340,000 miles of driving (two different cars).

Interested to hear from anyone with experience living with the 2.8 Duramax as well as the Colorado platform. My use would be fitting a camper style cap and spending at most a week living in that set up.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SOneThreeCoupe

I wished it had a 6' bed as well- I initially wanted a new, extended cab, non-Bison. But this was cheaper, barely used, and already had a winch/skid plates.

It all worked out because I've been on multiple off-road trips with 3 people. Those experiences were worth not being able to sleep in the bed.

From what I've been able to tell, and from my experience, the 2.8 Duramax isn't problematic if you use the right DEF, give it the beans every once in a while (the ol' Italian tune-up after it's reached full operating temperature), let it complete regeneration cycles before shutting it down, and use a quality diesel additive every few thousand miles. I'm partial to LubriMoly, since I'm in the Euro car world. Also, keep the DEF from freezing... which has not been hard for me because the truck has been garaged in SoCal and I'm cold-blooded so I never camped below freezing.

The Colorado drives most like a car out of its contemporaries. It's surprisingly competent on a back road, and feels like the vintage cars I'm used to with its tall sidewalls. It has a lot of weight in the nose and feels it, but you can get it to rotate well and it likes a little throttle on corner exit to settle the chassis.

Any gasser V6 will be and feel faster but with a significant hit to off-road range.

You may want to check out the Domestic Mid Size forum here on ExPo (it's under the Expedition Vehicles subgroup) as well as ZR2Zone.com.

SOneThreeCoupe

Back up for sale. Didn't have a chance to get one last trip out of the truck, but sometimes we have to play the cards we're dealt.

Will consider part trade of a hybrid or high-mpg commuter worth around $7k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger