Fuel Consumption Question

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi,

I do have a question out of curiosity.
Who of you is running a Jeep Rubicon and could tell me the mpg rate in winter and/or when offroading?

Thanx,

Robert

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I have a 4 door JK with 3.8 gas engine. I get 14.8 on the Highway and around 12.8 in the city. This is based on 5:13 gears front and rear and 315/75/16 Goodyear MTR's(35"). All numbers are taken from a scan gauge II. My worst fuel milage was on a trail in the Eastern Sierra's. I pulled my Chaser trailer straight up this road for 5000' of elevation gain. Although I only went 30 miles round trip I believe I got 7 mpg. This is not normal. Normal 4 wheeling I get around 11.8 mpg.

Oilworker

Explorer
Oh, thanx,

I am just going over the numbers regarding the Paris-New York trip.
They are running on Bio-Ethanol and use E85. Last loading of fuel was in eastern Germany (approx. 485 gallons per car) and that should last until Fairbanks or Anchorage (next year).

They are using the 3,8 l V6 engines, modified for use with Bio Ethanol.

I ran my Defender back home from Ulaanbaatar in 2007, driving just over 5590 miles in 7 days and burning 348 gallons of gasoline.

So long,

Robert

Oilworker

Explorer
And most of it is in the trailer, togehter with the 2 floats.
Other than that you have each Jeep with 2-3 people + all stuff and gear + food & water, so you are looking at quite some weight that has to be moved across fresh, deep snow.

I have been wondering about the fuel calculations all the time already and was told by colleague in Novosibirsk that they had deposits along the route, too, but that was now denied by the team. Well, who knows.

But as fuel consumption is generally higher when burning bio-fuels I wonder how they managed to get that far. When parked the cars burn approx 0.7 gallons/hour, according to the estimate in their online diary.

So long,

Robert

XXXpedition

Explorer
well, justin mentioned somewhere around 12 in the city - that's running 35" tires. the paris-new york team runs 40"(!) tires.
running through deep snow hits you harder than cruising the city plus considering the extra weight and drag (trailer, fuel, equipment and the rigs itself with all the mods!).

all that said, i'd be surprised if they manage 10mpg...

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, I guess we'll never find out as they keep this information under wraps.

Maybe it's also because I am no friend of Eco-Fuels like E85, but well..sofar it's been a cool expedition even though the Jeep doesn't seem to be the perfect car for these conditions.

Let's see how it goes on and if they really manage to "drive" across the Bering Strait in the coming winter season.

So long,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman