Fuel tank on roof

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
There are all kinds of roto-molded and blow molded fuel tanks available at low cost online.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Just curious, but how much range are you looking to get?

I understand the need for having more range, on of my best mods was an aux 21 gallon tank on my FJ40. But then when I first bought it, the 40 only had a 12 gallon tank and I was averaging 8-11 mpg, so that's probably why. A 4runner probably has a much larger tank and better mileage (maybe?) so an extra 20 gallons seems like a lot.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
There are all kinds of roto-molded and blow molded fuel tanks available at low cost online.

Yep. There's an FJ guy who ran a 12gal marine fuel tank on his roof rack for a while. Has molded slots for tie down/ratchet straps plus the only openings/fittings are on the top to prevent side/bottom leakage.
https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Marine-Profile-Portable-gallon/dp/B004APFLPA/
81CyY%2BtUTBL._SL1500_.jpg

BurbanAZ

Explorer

Dalko43

Explorer
Out of curiosity, what are you getting for range with your 4.7l v8 4runner? I can get ~350-400 miles in mixed 4wd and hwy driving. I know the 4.7l gets a bit lower than the 4.0l v6, but is it really that bad?

If you really need the extra range, look for an option to put an aux tank in the spare tire location, or put some extra fuel cans on a back bumper carrier. Neither option is really idea for a platform like the 4runner that has limited payload and rear bumper carrier will throw off your COG. But either option is better than throwing a whole bunch of fuel on your roof.

Firstly all that fuel will really throw off your COG and will be sloshing around up top as you go over rough terrain.
Secondly, as others have pointed out, if you get in a crash, all that fuel will spill down over the passenger compartment which is not safe at all.

Either look at adding extra fuel in safer locations or look at getting a different platform.

Last edited:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Not op, but I have 03 v8 4runner and get ~250-275 mile range

Yea I'm about the same. When we pull our small trailer we reliably get 10 everywhere, without the trailer but still all our other gear we get 15-16 avg for most trips. That's what's hard about it to me, we get what I would consider decent mileage so if I thought just had an extended range tank or aux tank it would be perfect. I got spoiled because before the 4Runner we always used suburbans, even though the mpg was worse they had ~50 gal tanks.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
How about storing the extra gas in the trailer when you're pulling it? That'll make up for the decreased range and don't have to worry about extra load on the roof or on the vehicle.

How often do you use the extra gas that you store on the roof? 15-16 mpg with a 23 gallon tank doesn't seem so bad, that's at least 350+ miles. There are only a few places I can think of in the US where you might need more than that.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yea I'm about the same. When we pull our small trailer we reliably get 10 everywhere, without the trailer but still all our other gear we get 15-16 avg for most trips. That's what's hard about it to me, we get what I would consider decent mileage so if I thought just had an extended range tank or aux tank it would be perfect. I got spoiled because before the 4Runner we always used suburbans, even though the mpg was worse they had ~50 gal tanks.
05 Sequoia which is basically a big 4runner with the 4.7. We did a 2700 mile 9 day Yellowstone/Teton trip in June. Sleek roof box plus 900lb 4x6 in tow we had a solid 15mpg from Reno to West Yellowstone thats a 70-80mph stretch. Sans trailer all the park driving 30-45ish we saw 21mpg. Going home with head wind at 75-80mph we ran at 14mpg. 21gallon tank. 250-330miles comfortably on a tank. Far better than the 190-220max on empty I use to do in my 93 LandCruiser.

I still prefer my 2010 Subaru for range on trips like that. But I figure a Diesel GMC Canyon would have given us low to mid 30's in the park trips and mid 20's on the long highway run. All with a 21gal tank too.

If range is really important I found migrating to rigs with better range is the better way to go. I hated hauling cans of fuel on the Landcrusher. And found my self simply not going exploring to some areas due to the range challenge.

No trailer I easily do 500miles in the Subaru which is why we typically are in the Subaru when we find our selves just taking roads to see where they go.

These are all tank averages at fill up.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I still prefer my 2010 Subaru for range on trips like that. But I figure a Diesel GMC Canyon would have given us low to mid 30's in the park trips and mid 20's on the long highway run. All with a 21gal tank too.

If range is really important I found migrating to rigs with better range is the better way to go. I hated hauling cans of fuel on the Landcrusher. And found my self simply not going exploring to some areas due to the range challenge.

This is one of the main reasons (well that a lack of pickup bed) that I'll be looking to switch out of my 4runner into something else, maybe a GM diesel Colorado or the new Ford Ranger. The 4runner, Tacoma, LC, Tundra are all solid platforms and the brand as a whole has earned my trust and respect. But most of their engine options are so behind when it comes to fuel economy. In most areas of the lower 48, that's not a problem, but going north into Canada, there have been a few times where I've really had to pay attention to my fuel gauge and measure out distances to towns.

I'm running a stock vehicle, with aftermarket A/T's (stock size) and getting the 21 mpg EPA rating rarely happens, even on all highway trips. 18-19 seems more common. 4wd, slow crawling, stop-and-go and 15-17mpg seems more common. You start throwing any more weight and mods on the truck, and you're almost obligated to start adding fuel can carriers on the rear bumper.

Clutch

<---Pass
How about storing the extra gas in the trailer when you're pulling it? That'll make up for the decreased range and don't have to worry about extra load on the roof or on the vehicle.

How often do you use the extra gas that you store on the roof? 15-16 mpg with a 23 gallon tank doesn't seem so bad, that's at least 350+ miles. There are only a few places I can think of in the US where you might need more than that.

Or do what the Wescott's did...make the trailer the fuel cell. :D

https://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle-iv/

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is one of the main reasons (well that a lack of pickup bed) that I'll be looking to switch out of my 4runner into something else, maybe a GM diesel Colorado or the new Ford Ranger. The 4runner, Tacoma, LC, Tundra are all solid platforms and the brand as a whole has earned my trust and respect. But most of their engine options are so behind when it comes to fuel economy. In most areas of the lower 48, that's not a problem, but going north into Canada, there have been a few times where I've really had to pay attention to my fuel gauge and measure out distances to towns.

I'm running a stock vehicle, with aftermarket A/T's (stock size) and getting the 21 mpg EPA rating rarely happens, even on all highway trips. 18-19 seems more common. 4wd, slow crawling, stop-and-go and 15-17mpg seems more common. You start throwing any more weight and mods on the truck, and you're almost obligated to start adding fuel can carriers on the rear bumper.

Same here. We had to move from the LC mainly for space we had 5 we were hauling almost daily and the LC was ok but for trips it was too tight and 10-12mpg sucked. One drive in the gen 1 Sequoia it was obvious we needed to swap to that. But we lost gramps over a yr ago our 5th passenger. Also our 3rd driver/kid shuttle operator he drove the Sequoia daily doing kid shuttle. So today the Sequoia sits for a week or more at a time given the Daily for me is the Subaru. Eventually we'll dump the Sequoia and the Subaru for one vehicle. My choice would be long bed Canyon 4x4 Diesel 4dr with contractor cap or if the budget is healthy a tacoma habitat.

I have Grampas SLK 350 for my solo trips and date nights &#128077;. Only 20k on the clock and its an 05 loaded to the hilt. Fun car. Oddly great road trip rig! Full size spare, onboard air pump, and I can pack a decent kit in trunk under the roof ie top down mode. 30mpg at 85mph all day long &#128521;
Gramps ran it up 395 he did 620miles on a tank. Not intentionally ha! 18gallon tank he put 18.5 into it.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

Nice things about pickups, you can add a transfer flow tank in the bed fairly easily. Don't even have to plumb it into the stock tank and makes refueling a bit less painless than having to deal with jerry cans.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116206

Of course the more range you have, the further away from help you get....

I see the Portal is FINALLY embracing pickups.

https://expeditionportal.com/why-you-should-skip-the-suv-and-buy-a-pickup/

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
. When your tank is almost empty, someone can flip the valve and the spare tank would effectively "refill" your existing gas tank.

How would it do that? Gravity? Sounds like a good solution for OP, if it worked as planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998