Full plastics for all glacier travel? Boot choices?

SEREvince

Adventurer
Flounder said:
Like any mountain environment, in the Mt. Blanc area there are ample avenues to getting in the climbing experience you seek. My advice would be to not get too fixated on a particular peak or route. That's usually what gets people into trouble. They select a peak, find the easiest route up that peak and find out at 2pm they're in up to their eyeballs in trouble. A better method is to evaluate your skill and fitness level and pick an objective on par with that level of ability. As a confident alpinist myself, that immediately ruled out the vast majority of climbs in the area. And the accident volume in that area is the stuff of legend. There's seldom a day when the rescue helos are not in the air. I still recommend going as it's phenominal terrain, but go in extremely fit and prepared. Honestly, boots are a minimal concern in the big scheme.

I appreciate the honest advice. Are you busy around the 4th of July?;)

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I am leaning towards just wearing my Asolo fsn 95 GTX hiking boots. Am I going to regret it?

I've climbed both those peaks wearing heavy Asolo plastic boots with step-in crampons. Some of my friends had a similar setup while others wore boots similar to your goretex Asolos with strap-on crampons. I don't remember anybody complaining about their feet.

That said, I think there are better boots for the job. If I did it again, I'd wear the yellow leather La Sportiva Trango boots I've been wearing for the last five years or so. They're light, warm, comfortable, durable and I'm equally as happy wearing them on vertical ice and long hikes.

The view from the summit of Mont Blanc is nothing short of staggering. I think you'll like it. :)

Cheers,
Graham

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
And the accident volume in that area is the stuff of legend.

Even leaving a hut after dark to find the toilet that's been strapped to the side of a cliff and has a sloping icy path with no guardrail is a serious undertaking. Be careful out there, but have fun. Its a great place.

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears