full size pickups show improved mpg

Kaisen

Explorer
Check the gear ratio's in the axle. That can make a big difference in HWY MPG

The Tundra's is 3.90 or 4.10:1

The 2013 Chevy 1500 is 3.23:1 ??

Power Wagon is 4:56:1

True. The ring/pinion gear ratio can make a difference. But it is a system, so don't forget how those variables interact. For example, the tire is also a "gear" in the system. A Power Wagon has a 32.8" tire diameter that covers 635 rotations per mile. A base Silverado has a 30.5" tire that needs 50 more revolutions per mile than the PW. Transmission gear ratios are another factor, as is the powerband of the motor.

MotoDave

Explorer
Tundras have silly high 5th and 6th gear ratios (0.73 and 0.59), with 4th being 1:1, so the comparison between rear axle ratio isn't the whole story.

RussellZ

Hmmmm.....

My Tahoe just pulled down her best MPG yet after an 800+ mile round trip to Memphis and back this past weekend: 18.67 MPG! And that's with an 18 year old vehicle with 264K on the clock! Ain't too shabby for a fully loaded full size 4x4 if you ask me.

Gotta love a turbodiesel in a 1/2 ton platform.... :D

Casey

You should try a 6.6L LB7 powered 2 door Tahoe with a 6 speed manual... My truck is lifted 7" on 37s with 5.13:1 gears and still pulls down 18mpg on the highway :sombrero: Gotta love a medium duty turbo diesel in a 1/2 ton platform :D

Also, to the fella who mentioned that GM did not make any adjustments for their 2014 engine lineup: That isn't quite true. Yes, they have remained with the LS platform and have kept the same displacements but they have equipped them all with direct injection to get the same economy as previous years with better power numbers. It is a pretty cutting edge technology, and I suspect it will be riddled with problems for a while just like the DPF stuff on their diesel enignes. I personally plan to avoid GM in the future. I have a 2012 2500HD with an LML Duramax and have had nothing but trouble with it since new. My 07 LBZ Duramax was flawless from 13k - 190k and I've had great luck with all my older GM trucks (and I have had a LOT of them), but it only takes some seriously rotten egg to ruin the whole brand for me.

Kaisen

Explorer
Also, to the fella who mentioned that GM did not make any adjustments for their 2014 engine lineup: That isn't quite true. Yes, they have remained with the LS platform and have kept the same displacements but they have equipped them all with direct injection to get the same economy as previous years with better power numbers.

They call it EcoTec 3, with the "3" standing for:
1) Active Fuel Management (AFM) that cuts down to 4 cylinder mode under lighter engine loads
2) Direct fuel injection, like a diesel, with high compression
3) Continuously variable valve timing

All three 2014 half-ton motors (4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, 6.2L V8) will offer those three technologies
All in lightweight (all-aluminum), compact, relatively simple pushrod 2-valve motors
All with 5 year / 100,000 mile warranties and the first two years paid maintenance

RussellZ

I had originally mentioned the AFM and VVT systems in my post, but I wasn't totally sure that all models were going to be equipped so I opted not to mention them. The AFM and VVT systems are tried and true, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with these systems in older models so equipped... The direct injection, however, is a very new and cutting edge technology for GM so it remains to be proven to be reliable on the street...

Kaisen

Explorer
I had originally mentioned the AFM and VVT systems in my post, but I wasn't totally sure that all models were going to be equipped so I opted not to mention them. The AFM and VVT systems are tried and true, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with these systems in older models so equipped... The direct injection, however, is a very new and cutting edge technology for GM so it remains to be proven to be reliable on the street...

GM has offered direct injection in production since 2007. It isn't new or unproven. This is just the first pushrod DI application. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the injection system itself.

Chili

Explorer
Really? I have 25k miles on my '12 Ecoboost F150 without a single issue.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear about it too. From what I have been reading most of the issues people were seeing was was the intercooler. Too much condensation, leading to other issues including ruining cats. There is now a fix for the 12's, and from what I have heard it is not an issue with the 13. Have also heard about coilpack issues, driveshafts, etc. That and a number of people realizing significantly less efficiency that advertised (like 13 - 15) but of course, who knows what their driving habits are like. Also, fwiw, plenty of people, like you, have had no issues.

I sure like the concept, and hopefully most of this is limited to the normal "first model year" gremlins.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I am very glad to see that overall the 1/2 ton truck segment has seen improvements in fuel mileage. The new DI motors from GM should be very interesting and I think will be problem free. DI technology as said earlier is not new to them. Ford's EcoBoost motor is a fantastic concept and once the bugs get worked out I think will still be the motor to beat both in performance and economy. It will be interesting to see how Dodge stacks up with their new diesel coming out to compete with the competition's gas motors. Also I would like to finally see a 6.4 Hemi available in the big trucks to replace the 5.7 which is not ideal for a 3/4 ton.

Oh and regarding the mythical Cummins mileage numbers: Some people don't realize that their little digital display is lying to them and they just report the number that they see on the EVIC. If people are reporting 25mpg hand calculated then they obviously need a refresher in basic math. My best tank all highway hand calculated has been 19.9mpg in my Cummins.

d67u57

Adventurer
wasn't there talk of toyota's 5.7 being seriously underrated for emissions?

though, i would've expected more performance from today's engines.

sure it takes years to develop one,but come on...check the date dammit. its not 1995 anymore for a while.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I'd bet a manual trans in any of the new stuff could put up some good numbers with the right driver. It is sad we cannot row our own gears anymore....with the exception of the dodge CTD(or a Tacoma for you smaller folks). My 2011 dodge drw crew only got 11 mpg stock. Hopefully, the change in emissions strategy will improve those numbers for 2013 and beyond, but for now I'm back in old iron. My 2005 f350 drw with a v10 gets 11 mpg and my 1990 sub with an sm465 gets 12.

There is nothing coming out that looks good to me, and I will just rebuild what I've got.

It's sad too, because I love pickup trucks with a manual tranny

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Its sad to think how my 78 f250 with a built 351m and 4speed would get 10mpg doing 75 or towing and its not that much better now a days or that 1st and 2nd gen dodges with a cummins gets better mpg than 3rd and 4th gens (i know emissions bs). One would think mpg would be better, with what and industry avg of 15mpg i would think.

blue dog

Adventurer
Where does the 5.7 hemi fall in all this ? I never hear of a high milage hemi, do they not compare in the long run.
I agree with T100 regarding 1st and 2nd gen dodge trucks getting better milage then 3rd and 4th gen dodges. In the gas world trucks have gotten more hp and better milage, why is diesel going backwards. New 4th gen cummins dodges get terrible milage. My old 2nd gen with nv5600 and 35" tires would click 21-22 on the highway all day long if you kept it at 65 mph or less. Yes hand calculated by fuel used when filled up to full each time.
The EPA has done a real number on the emissions of diesels. I am ready for a 12 valve, you can keep anything that has a egr and dpf, let alone diesel exhaust fluid i a light duty truck.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I remember the first time i heard about exhaust fluid, i responded with ya and dont forget to check your blinker fluid also lol. I am with blue dog, 2nd gen dodge with cummins or older is the way to go IMO and i will go one day. As for the Hemi, my brother in-law when buying a 2013 1500 with a Hemi told me it gets 20 on the hwy! A few months after he bought it i ask what he was getting on the hwy. He said he has never gotten 20 and does not know how he could other than driving down I-70 to denver from eisenhower tunnel lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12