FUll-Size Spare or Not?

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thanks Guys

That's why I love this forum. There are lots of like-minded individuals at the same place with opinions based on varying levels of experience. This website is a great resource for newbs like me. Thanks guys. I think I will go with the full-size spare and try to save the weight somewhere else. Maybe aluminum skidplates and retaining the stock front bumper with a winch kit instead of a 100-pound aftermarket front bumper. Thanks again.

YukonRob

Adventurer
I'd carry two spares that match the tires on the rig if I could, but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Took the words right out of my mouth. For my trips (usually to Baja) I carry two spares plus a tire repair kit. I'm also very conscious of the weight of the rig, but experience has shown that for the places we go and the way we choose to get there, tires are the most likely point of failure. YMMV

stevec

Adventurer
For me (in a small, underpowered rig), one spare and a patch kit is enough, but then around here I don't think I'm ever more than 50 miles from a Les Schwab. For a trip to baja, I might reconsider...

01tundra

Explorer
I never leave home without a full-size spare and have needed it on several occasions a long way from home.

Also have three air sources, patch/plug kit, tire irons, and an emergency inner tube.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I carry two but things may be different way down there. Do what you want; it is ultimately your time and money if you get stuck.

ihatemybike

Explorer
One of the first things I do when I pick up a vehicle is to equip it with a full size spare and a Nealey Tire Repair Kit. I like being able to swap in a good tire quickly on the road/trail and then make tire repairs later at home/camp.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One of the first things I do when I pick up a vehicle is to equip it with a full size spare and a Nealey Tire Repair Kit. I like being able to swap in a good tire quickly on the road/trail and then make tire repairs later at home/camp.
I just plug the tire on the vehicle and re-fill it. Lots faster and usually safer than changing out the spare on the trail.

01tundra

Explorer
I just plug the tire on the vehicle and re-fill it. Lots faster and usually safer than changing out the spare on the trail.

I also carry one of those black rubber bungy cords, they work great for large emergency plugs to get you off the trail if you cut a sidewall and don't have a good solid base to jack your rig up and change the tire. Just cut to length and apply adhesive.

olsen_karl

Adventurer
One option for Wranglers is to use a narrower (lighter) tire for the spare -- e.g. 33x12.5 on the vehicle, and 33x9.5 on the spare. I did this with my old Cherokee for awhile.

On the Wranglers, the weight savings may be enough such that you avoid having to upgrade the stock tire carrier with an aftermarket bumper/carrier (more $, and more weight).

craig333

Expedition Leader
Plug kits are great but when this happens
tire.jpg

Nothing but a spare will do. Btw, that was only a month ago. Just got new tires Monday.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Point Taken!

craig333,

Ouch!!! Point taken. Full spare it is! I will see if I can score a spare that is narrower than the four on the ground. I guess the only downside to the narrower spare is that it can't be rotated in to prolong the life of the set. Thanks guys for all of the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78