Full size truck considerations

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Is the data provided by owners or is it documented in some manner?
That seems high for a rocket ship. They are quick.

Grassland

Lots of information on Fuelly is as useless as forum info. Owners input all the data.
I make notes of anything such as towing, excessive wind, payload etc. Along with actually marking down city and highway percentages. Many owners have zero notes no information added about vehicle, and the default 50/50 split for city/highway.
Is the truck lifted and on 35s? Do you live in the barren wasteland of Manitoba where it's minus ************** 35C and you have to idle the car for 5 minutes twice a day and you don't have a plug in at your condo/work?
Do you cart a bunch of ladders on your roof rack or pair of mountain bikes?
Almost nobody puts useful info in so half the data is speculative.

D

Deleted member 9101

Lots of information on Fuelly is as useless as forum info. Owners input all the data.
I make notes of anything such as towing, excessive wind, payload etc. Along with actually marking down city and highway percentages. Many owners have zero notes no information added about vehicle, and the default 50/50 split for city/highway.
Is the truck lifted and on 35s? Do you live in the barren wasteland of Manitoba where it's minus ************** 35C and you have to idle the car for 5 minutes twice a day and you don't have a plug in at your condo/work?
Do you cart a bunch of ladders on your roof rack or pair of mountain bikes?
Almost nobody puts useful info in so half the data is speculative.

I have never gotten as bad of fuel economy as Fuelly says I should. Two Tundras, two Altimas, an F150, and a Fusion Hybrid have all gotten a couple of MPG better that the average listed on Fuelly.

Grassland

I have never gotten as bad of fuel economy as Fuelly says I should. Two Tundras, two Altimas, an F150, and a Fusion Hybrid have all gotten a couple of MPG better that the average listed on Fuelly.
I'm the opposite end I get lower on the curve on Fuelly. None of my friends with EcoBoost trucks get good economy either. Maybe it's the 10% ethanol in our fuel here or the all around horribly inefficient city we live in, combined with the wind and cold weather.
Average is 16 mpg for 2014 3.7 and I have 14.5 mpg and the last 2 years it's been out of fleet and spends most of its time towing on the highway.

rruff

Explorer
Exactly. Fuelly is good for comparing similar vehicles. Don't expect it to match your numbers.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think you’re above the norm. You must have a Wednesday truck!

Another friend of mine also was lifted on 35’s. 2008 Tundra, owned since new. He’s also around 9-11mpg, on the average. He decided to go domestic when he moved on a couple years ago. But even his current truck (F150) also on 35’s, is around 16mpg.

That’s crazy you’re getting 16 with 35’s though. Hold on to that truck!
He must have the eco cylinder Toyota V8.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I just asked a co worked who has a bone stock 2020 Tundra (with that hideous baby ******** brown interior. Yuck) and his lifetime average with no towing whatsoever is 18.9 l/100km, which maths out to ~12.5mpg

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I should note that I’m not expecting to get 25mpg while towing or while carrying the slide in, I understand mileage will drop in those instances and am fine with that. My daily driver is a Chevy Volt and experimenting with hyper milking in that car to a certain degree has gotten me to understand when to be on the gas and when not to be. I’m not an aggressive driver by any stretch and try to maximize mpg. There are instances where I’ll be going long distances without the slide in that I will want decent mileage. Even if I can manage 20mpg on a 36 gallon tank (which seems more than attainable) I’ve met my goal of 700 miles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

There are instances where I’ll be going long distances without the slide in that I will want decent mileage. Even if I can manage 20mpg on a 36 gallon tank (which seems more than attainable) I’ve met my goal of 700 miles.

F150, 4x4, STX w/3.5 can do that all day long if you don't get crazy with the tire size and tread pattern. The STX weighs less than the XLT and typically is rated to tow and haul more. Also, get a boost gauge (either a real one, or an app on your phone) and you can use it to set your cruise at a point where you are not spooling the turbos. For my truck thats 70-71mph. Over that it uses more fuel.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I should note that I’m not expecting to get 25mpg while towing or while carrying the slide in, I understand mileage will drop in those instances and am fine with that. My daily driver is a Chevy Volt and experimenting with hyper milking in that car to a certain degree has gotten me to understand when to be on the gas and when not to be. I’m not an aggressive driver by any stretch and try to maximize mpg. There are instances where I’ll be going long distances without the slide in that I will want decent mileage. Even if I can manage 20mpg on a 36 gallon tank (which seems more than attainable) I’ve met my goal of 700 miles.
I sold my 2500 Ram CTD and got a Nissan Titan XD Cummins. I think it does a great job of hitting the sweet spot between half and three quarter. Capacity is down from the Ram, but ride quality went way way up, as did interior quality. Far better shifting tranny too. I’ve gotten as high as 27 mpg empty and as low as 11 loaded with bikes and camper.
It was not on my radar when looking for a new truck, but fits what I do with that truck well. Might be worth a look. I think 19 was the last year for that motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online