Full size wheelbase

dstefan

I worried (needlessly) also when I moved from my 09 Tacoma to a 21 Tundra (146” WB) to handle a lightweight camper. Both were similarly modified with suspension upgrades, 2.5” lift, tires, etc. I’d say the Tundra is lifted a bit more in the rear due to heavier springs with shackles. I crawled some pretty tough stuff with the Tacoma and have done just as difficult trails, if not more-so, with the new rig with zero problems. Breakover isnt an issue … yet! You just gotta watch you dont drop your rear tire in tight turns on eroded trails, and you’ll scrape more bushes.

Think you‘ll need some lift along with larger tires, but nothing excessive. Cant recommend longer than the 145ish inch WB though, at least for where I go.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Turning circle would be a bigger concern than breakover angle.

No doubt depends on where you wheel. Here we have a lot of two-track roads that dip in and out of dry creek beds and breakover angle is critical, much more so than turning circle. I came to a very abrupt halt one day dropping into one of those dips in my crew cab long bed Ram (really long wheelbase!). Thankfully a strongly-built transfer case skid plate took the weight of the truck without damaging the transfer case. And two days ago I "graded off" a couple of humps in the road with the running boards on my 2016 F150 (Supercab, 6.5' bed, 145" wheelbase). Another thing we have out here is that blade operators, on a road where water is apt to run down, will purposely put a big hump in the road about every hundred yards or so to divert water off the roadway. I have to be careful crossing those in my F150.

4X4N

Just what do you mean by "moderate off-roading"? I've owned a F150 for several years now and I can tell you there is simply not enough ground clearance for anything but driving dirt roads.

This isn't true. I have spent less than 1k on suspension modifications and have completed many difficult trails with my 2018 F150. Just did fins and things and Hell's Revenge in Moab if anyone is familiar.

Reno_Nate

This isn't true. I have spent less than 1k on suspension modifications and have completed many difficult trails with my 2018 F150. Just did fins and things and Hell's Revenge in Moab if anyone is familiar.
Nice! Do you mind sharing what wheelbase and mods you have?

4X4N

Nice! Do you mind sharing what wheelbase and mods you have?

Sure. Wheelbase is 145. It's just Bilstein 6112's up front and 5100's in the back. Front is set for 2.5 in lift. 35 x 12.5 BFG KM3 on 17" method 702's. Cut crash bars and some plastic up front. No rubbing at all up front, but sometimes when the bed is loaded up with gear and the tires aired down I get some very minimal rubbing on the rear fender flare in one small spot. Its fine unloaded, but I plan to change the leafs soon. An add a leaf would work fine too.

I bought the Bilstein shocks from stage 3 motorsports as a bundle about 2 years ago for $900

Attachments

• media-1653608707965-May_20_2022_2_16_PM.jpg
    media-1653608707965-May_20_2022_2_16_PM.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 40

ramblinChet

Here is a snip on wheelbase regarding my RAM 3500:

It seems like most opt for a crew cab and 6.5' box and are quite happy with their choice. A close friend with that set-up removed his back seat and has quite a bit of storage space there. With a camper on the back I was left considering a 6.5' or 8' box option. Wheelbase was a key metric for my needs so a crew-cab with 8' box (169.5" WB) was not an option. It would be either regular and 8' box (140" WB) or crew and 6.5' box (149.5" WB). Since this will be a full time rig I opted for the 8' box which included a regular cab for my requirements. My thoughts centered around the fact that I do not plan to have anyone accompany me on a regular basis and I do not plan to be driving all the time. The majority of my time will be at camp and since the weather can turn nasty for a few days here and there the additional living room inside the camper would be welcome. I still believe the crew cab and 6.5' box is a very good option and ideal for most although I wanted to try something slightly different and enjoy the shortest wheelbase.

Skifishbum

I am also from Reno and switched to a f150 supercrew with a 6.5 bed (157 wheel base) . Had a Tacoma with a 2.5 inch lift and 33s / GFC and took that thing to places a truck should not be. I spent a few months with the same debate.

So far it’s working out for me. We mostly use the truck as a base camp for activities now. I don’t off-road for fun, only to get to free camping / away from vans. BLM, forest roads, old mining roads. Might be different story in the PNW. We spend about 70 nights a year chasing dirt and snow storms.

Plan on putting an ovrlnd camper on it eventually. If your not wheeling and sticking to blm / forest / pyramid lake style roads you’ll be fine. So far the worst part for me is turning around on tighter roads.

We still have a 4Runner for more narrow trails.

Attachments

• E8806AA1-4BC6-4ED3-962A-7BC698FC5E72.jpeg
    E8806AA1-4BC6-4ED3-962A-7BC698FC5E72.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Grassland

Yeah break over is the biggest issue.
I have RCI 1/4" aluminum skid plates and it's a good thing. That's the second hit I've taken there.
I can't imagine an even longer wheelbase than 145 without significantly larger tires

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-31-06-19-13-80_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-31-06-19-13-80_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 29

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Also I want the auto 4wd since we get variable road conditions here a lot. Hard to say what I mean ny moderate. Pretty much on dirt roads /tracks but we get some steep inclines, deeper ruts and it's pretty rocky. I was thinking 2in lift and 33s but maybe thay will still be too low? Not doing anything too crazy.
Auto 4wd is only available on Lariat and up. HDPP is only on XL up to XLT mid level.

Reno_Nate

Sure. Wheelbase is 145. It's just Bilstein 6112's up front and 5100's in the back. Front is set for 2.5 in lift. 35 x 12.5 BFG KM3 on 17" method 702's. Cut crash bars and some plastic up front. No rubbing at all up front, but sometimes when the bed is loaded up with gear and the tires aired down I get some very minimal rubbing on the rear fender flare in one small spot. Its fine unloaded, but I plan to change the leafs soon. An add a leaf would work fine too.

I bought the Bilstein shocks from stage 3 motorsports as a bundle about 2 years ago for $900
Nice! You think the 35s

Nice! Do you think 35s are necessary or would 33s or 34s be sufficient. Don't want to kill fuel economy too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12