Fullriver DCG GEL Battery 135-12V: Good choice for energy supply?

derjack

Adventurer
Hi,

I am looking an an GEL Battery from Fullriver. It is an 135AH 12V one out of the DCG Series. Goal is to use it in my E350 inside for energy supply (light, radio, charging Notebook/Cam). Maybe later for a very small fridge. But as the Europeans have a different relationship to fridges :ylsmoke: that is not critical.

The one I am looking at is HUGE (47kg ~100pounds) but has 135Ah. I want to mainly charge the Fullriver while driving with the alternator + switch. So it will NOT be discharged while starting!

Question is: Is the energy coming from the alternator "good" enough for this GEL Battery? GEL one are demanding a good charge. Any ideas, any experiences on Fullriver DCGs?

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Gel and AGM are not the same thing.

Gel can be damaged instantly and permanently by higher than required voltages and currents, and for this reason make them a poor choice for vehicular use.

The only benefit of Gel over AGM is in their ability to rebound from super deep discharges time and again.

Go AGM unless you are absolutely sure your alternator will never exceed the maximum charge current listed by full river for that particular battery

derjack

Adventurer
Gel and AGM are not the same thing.

Gel can be damaged instantly and permanently by higher than required voltages and currents, and for this reason make them a poor choice for vehicular use.

The only benefit of Gel over AGM is in their ability to rebound from super deep discharges time and again.

Go AGM unless you are absolutely sure your alternator will never exceed the maximum charge current listed by full river for that particular battery

Thanks. I know that absorbed glasfaser material and gel are different. anyone can guess that from the name.
Though gel batteries are used in cars, maybe with a special charger, i don't know what can be used.

gel have roughly double the lifetime of an agm. plus i can get the fullriver 135ah for 170 euro! that's exactly the same price i could get an exide 80ah agm.

Same price, better technology, better lifetime, more capacity. Only question, normal charge?

MobTuff

Observer
I have never used any of the Full River gel batteries but we have about 22 of their deep cycle AGM batteries at work. I'm actually considering using the DC210-12 battery in my truck for an aux power source. I've never really explored the option of using gel batteries. I guess I assumed they were older technology that were made obsolete by AGM.

Wouldn't a simple dc to dc converter prevent any potential damage? There must be a reason they are not very popular.

derjack

Adventurer
As far as I know now, gel one shouldn't be charged by higher voltage something, I don't have in mind right now.
This can be managed.

GEL batteries have the huge benefit against AGM that their lifetime is almost double!

The special one above is out of life, that's why it is only half the normal price.

Joe917

Explorer
Only in theory.

GEL batteries have the huge benefit against AGM that their lifetime is almost double!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

I must be missing something, Fullriver rates their DCG for 700 cycles (but only warranty it for 500) and a Lifeline is rated for 1000. Fullriver = 24 month warranty, Lifeline = 60 month warranty.

I'm sure that it is a good battery, I'm just having a hard time getting to the life expectancy you quote. My understanding is that the gel batteries deep-cycle / recover from full discharge better but are a bit more finicky to recharge and their charge acceptance rate is lower.

To me it is much more of a question of understanding your application and making the best choice for you. Of course, if you get a special deal on a battery that may be worth building a charging system around - I would probably put in a smart charge controller that you can program for a bunch of different batteries anyways.

Good luck!

derjack

Adventurer
My application for this battery is energy supply in a van, like light, notebook, radio etc. NO STARTING.

The deal is less than 200$ for a 135AH DC Gel battery, that's quiete good! Question was just if it can be charged by the alternator with no problem.

Fullriver does make batteries for electric cars, so this COULD mean it needs to be charged differently.

in the meanwhile fullriver Europe answered my question, or they did not actually. they just mentioned that this one is end of life and they recommend the successor (of course).
Nothing answered regarding charging in a car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998