Fullsize Diesel Questions

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Daniel Altman - what's it take to swap a 12v into an OBs F350? I have a 96 C350 Centurion PSD and I've considered the 12V but don't understand what needs to happen with the trans, and electronics.

by the way, i new to this forum.

I'm not Daniel, but if you want to put a 12 valve Cummins into a 92-96 F series, go to FordCummins.com. It is $450 for motor mounts, trans adapter, and instructions. Your diesel trans (E4OD?) is fine, and 12 valves are a one wire engine. It is about as simple as pie...

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm not Daniel, but if you want to put a 12 valve Cummins into a 92-96 F series, go to FordCummins.com. It is $450 for motor mounta, trans adapter, and instructions. Your diesel trans (E4OD?) is fine, and 12 valves are a one wire engine. It is about as simple as pie...

I agree. The 12v B5.9TA's are the best of the Cummins swap engines. 1 wire and a mechanical pump that any fuel lab can repair. Removal of the injection pump is also extremely easy. You may want to get the pump rebuilt and tested before installing it into your truck.

I had a 2004 F250 CCSB with the 6.0 and I absolutely loved it. The back bench was great for long trips when someone has to get in there with the little guys. If you do get a 6.0 though change the fuel filters both of them every other oil change and use good quality diesel. If its got a green tint stay away from it. I found that the 6.0 is very picky about fuel quality. We test drove a couple of couple of other full size trucks but when we got into the F250 we knew that was the one for us. The only reason I don't still have it was because it was too big for the trails around here and I didnt have the money to just buy another vehicle and keep it. So I traded even for my 04 Discovery and the little guys love it even more. My oldest is 3 now and he'll say night night to it when we get home late, and cry if we dont take it somewhere.

arlon

Adventurer
Little late but I have a 2003 Dodge/Cummins quad cab that has just been an almost perfect truck. Towed a 5th wheel for a long time, lots of room, reliable, 22-23mpg on the road. In 150k miles I've spent about $250 on repairs (front wheel bearing at 130k, water pump at about 80k).. I like the 03/04 that doesn't have a catalytic converter, they just seem to get a mile or two better mileage. Don't like the DPF models either. I'll probably have this truck as long as there is fossil fuel or it gets stolen..

XJMurray

I have owned IDI Fords, 7.3 and 6.0's I like the Ford trucks the best the motors have their weak point. My 7.3 had more money thrown at it than all the others, HPOP's injector rebuild turbo rebuild Pedestal issues none very expensive if you do it yourself, but you have to be a decent wrench or you will pay a big shop bill. I guess I am one of the lucky 6.0 owners, I just rolled over 175k and all I have changed is the exhaust lots of filters and fluids. I have had zero issues with the motor or truck Most of the 6.0 problems will appear before 50k if you do an oasis report and see what problems the truck had you can save yourself lots of headache. I think there are a lot of people who stay away from the 6.0's because somebody they know had a buddy who had a problem, most have never even driven one. Yes there were some serious issues that Ford addressed or the after market did. My next project is a Ford with a 12v cummins swap that is a very reliable motor that has been proven over and over. I do not like dodge trucks the front ends are very weak but they can be built to last, My dad has had to replace his cummins 3 times in his 06 Dodge 3500 valve dropped in one, cylinder 5 went in the other. He does not tell horror stories or try to make people think the motors are bad just small issues that were not caught and caused complete failure but at 370k he is ok with the replacements. I have no experience with the Chevy lineup. My suggestion would be find the truck you want no matter what you buy you will most likely spend 3-4k fixing the weak points from the manufacturer whether its head studs and EGR on the Ford, or Ball joints and P-Pumps on the Dodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater