fully enclosed off road camper

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Hello. I'm a new member. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a few fully enclosed pull behind campers non pop up that are off road capable. You see once I solid axle swap (front and rear) my truck I plan on going cross country with my brother to different off road parks around the U.S.

The catch is that my brother is confined to a wheel chair and has Cerebral Palsy. So the trailer has to have all the ammenties (sp?) fridge,bed,indoor shower etc. The other thing is that my truck is only rated to tow a maxium of 4500 lbs. Any Help anyone can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty

I have been looking at Aliner Trailers T.R.E. design in there Meriwether floorplan. But it says the shower is outside and I really need one to be on the inside for my brother scroll all the way down.

http://www.aliner.com/design/tre.php#7?sectid=5

Only problem is that I don't want to spend $20k to get one. Any advice???

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Welcome. i suggest making this post under the disabled thread area in the general admission section. we have disabled members that are frequenting that area and may be able to help..

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up put I'm really just wanting to know of a some options for a enclosed pull behind trailer. I went to the Airstream site and WOW they're Safari line is awesome but at $35K thats way high

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Cheap, Off-Road ready, Handicap Accessable, all amenities, lite weight, free standing.

Your not going to find something with all the above features, my bet is that your going to be lucky to find 2-3 in the same unit.

The A-Liner is awesome, for quick set up, loaded out, lite weight, but you get what you pay for. I have rented a A-Liner off and on for the past few years.

Good Luck.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
highlandercj-7 said:
Cheap, Off-Road ready, Handicap Accessable, all amenities, lite weight, free standing.

Your not going to find something with all the above features, my bet is that your going to be lucky to find 2-3 in the same unit.

The A-Liner is awesome, for quick set up, loaded out, lite weight, but you get what you pay for. I have rented a A-Liner off and on for the past few years.

Good Luck.

Yeah I think that I'm going to possiably get a aliner T.R.E mariwether design or wait a few years and go for the gold and get the Airstream 17ft Safari...But that would be a ways off.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Your best bet may be the Casita Brand trailer and think about adding the off road aspects to it. I have a friend who uses one in Uwarrie every year and he pulls it with a 4X4 Isuzu Trooper.
It's small enough to get back far enough off the main drag to get the privacy he likes, and large enough inside he can stay in it with out going closterphobic. Think of it as a small fiberglass Airstream.

They make a 1 & 2 axle version.

And they are made in North Central Texas.

BTY guys, Cerbrial Palsey doen't mean confined a wheel chair.
In most cases it just means they need some comforts of home.
Just so you'll know where I'm coming from, I've built bicycles for CP kids for years.

Curtis

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Thanks Curtis I appreciate the info. Unfortunately in my little brothers case his C.P. does confine him to a wheel chair. He is an awesome dude and has been through a lot of stuff b/c of his C.P.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Thanks for the input boblynch. The funny thing is that the HLT actually weighs more than the Casita 17 ft. trailer.

chet

island Explorer
my old boss's wife was paralyzed from the waste down and they went camping all the time. a normal trailer was a real pain as the door ways are narrow and there was no way a wheel chair would fit. then they discovered the toy haulers! his wife would go up and down the ramp alright with some help and they had a special zip in back door made that was extra wide.

the A-liner has an inside shower as well as an outside shower but have fun getting your brother into the inside one! a normal person has a hard time getting into one!

Also you are outstanding for wanting to do this for your brother!!! :punk03:

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
When I worked at different RV dealers, we would be asked from time to time about trailers that were wheelchair friendly, and I have done several upgrades to make motorhomes more accesible. Go ask a dealer. A good dealer. Fleetwood was always more than willing to custom spec a unit for us at barely a rise in cost. I know of more than one popup they built with a wider entry door and a roll in shower setup. I even cut a notch in the top of the frame on one to allow for a slide in ramp on one unit.

I also understand budgets. You might look into buying a nicer used popup and customizing it yourself with the features you need. There's always a way to get what you want/need for the money you have to spend.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. To be honest with you folks I thought that not many people did overland travel and off highway travel in trailers. I mean I knew people went R.V.-ing but that was it.

I not to worried about my brother getting himself in the shower as he can barely push his "chair" around now. I will end up helping him get undressed and helping him get in the shower and then help/get him out of the shower and then get him dressed. Thats why I need a fully enlosed trailer.

Thats why I really only need the dinette area to be open. That way he could sit at the table to eat/watch tv after a riding with me and seeing the woods and everything this country has to offer. I am going to put him in bed. I would like to have separate bunks (like the car hauler) but hey he's my brother I don't really care.

Also the bed of my truck will hold his "chair: and my in bed toolbox with 2 5gal attachted "jerry cans". I plan on buying a SoftTopper canopy to keep his "chair" dry and if it gets bad I can put the chair in the trailer.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I will probably just buy a very small (17 ft. and under) light weight (under 4500 lbs. loaded) trailer and upgrade the axles and tires to at least 31's. After my SAS on my truck I will have 35 and maybe even 37 in tires

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Not only does my brother have C.P. he also has eplipsey and some other problems that I don't want to get into right now. So to break it down when I finally get my truck complete (SAS wise w' my D44 HP on leaves up front and D60 on leaves in the rear and both having ARB air lockers) and get a trailer that is right for his chair and suits my needs to take him to those places he could only dream of it needs to hold some gear as well. Not just for my truck and myself but for my brother as well.

But me being only 23 years old and being married at that makes things a little tuff at the moment. So it will be at least a year until I get the trailer....I hope anyways.:confused: Thats why I could use all the advice I can get from people who are more knowledgeable than I

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
It's a shame you’re not closer to Texas. I use to have a Jayco 1207 pop up trailer and I can see your problem in my head. Looking back at the floor plan I think it would have been converted to exactly what you need for camping with your brother. My Jayco had enough space in the door area to widen it a few inches. Then if you put a swivel post near the entrance you could sling him over to the shower/ toilet and dining table once it was set up. Widening the door frame is do-able. If you used a second base or an extendable arm you could also swing him into the forward bed. Think Harbor Freight pickup bed mounted lifts!
I guess you can tell I like to modify things.

I pulled my Jayco with a 3.2 cu in Isuzu Rodeo all over the country. It would be fairly simple to increase the wheel wells for larger tires and a spring over.

The only major obstacle I see with a pop up is there is very little floor space for a wheel chair. The dining room table and bench could be shortened for more interior space. But, a Toy Hauler would give you the open floor space you need. But the flip side is then you'd need a bigger truck. A pop up type shower and toilet would be the ticket for the T.H. With a shower curtain hanging from the ceiling you would have the access you’d need for your brothers care.

My Rodeo has been SAS'd and bunches of other stuff like your Toy. I'm running a Marlin Crawler Doublers Tranny. So I'm with you there.
Here's a shot of me and the Rodeo at Rubicon Springs Ca.
MoonRocksatMarlins.jpg

Just so you know where I’m coming from, my Uncle was a Quad and I got into designing equipment to help him do some special things. He was an Iwo Jima Survivor who spent 30 years as a Football Coach. So his car accident didn’t alter his "can do attitude". He was my Hero!

Like I said, if you were only closer, I'll bet we could get you rigged up.

Curtis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears