Fun question: What other 4x4 would you replace your current Nissan with and why?

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Hmmnnn, well I have some Nissans (old Patrols) but none are my DD.

I know it is supposed to be non-Nissan but for me a 2000-2008 Patrol. It is a non-USA truck so hope that counts! TD42T diesel, 5spd, not white otherwise I don't care how it is outfitted. Just gimmie one to start with as a platform!

Never would touch a Rover. Cool in the utilitarian look but otherwise strongly dislike them. Same for a Jeep.

Since I can't have the Patrol, I am already driving what I would get.

v8 Cruisers for me! That or turbo diesel. Again, besides the Patrols, no other interest in 4wds. Don't like stock Cruiser motors. Wouldn't own any with a stock motor unless I had plans to pull the engine and replace it. Cruisers also the only Toyotas at this point I will own. Had a Tacoma, good truck but way to light duty and cheaply made. Interior is pretty junky, frames weak from the factory, ect ect. Seriously, been sitting here for 5 minutes thinking about what other trucks, can't come up with anything besides Cruisers and Patrols. I must be dense...

Oh wait, I would take an older G-Wagen. Don't think I would buy one unless it was a screaming deal but an older plain jane G, then swap a modern Chevy v8 in it! :)

Cheers

Ian,
I know you must drive full size (domestic?) trucks for your work, what full size work trucks would you lean to? I get to drive the big three for work and have been unimpressed with build quality, capabilities, et cetra. I feel the same behind the wheel of the new Tundra's. The only full size I could see getting into at the moment is the 1st gen Tundra or Titan and putting a flat bed on it so I could slide a camper on the back or two snowmachines.

crackerjack

Observer
what about a dodge power wagon? that's what i am looking at replacing the xterra with. looking forward to seeing if the new 6.4 gets better mpg's with the cylinder deactivation technology. has everything for the back woods plus it's a full size heavy duty.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ian,
I know you must drive full size (domestic?) trucks for your work, what full size work trucks would you lean to? I get to drive the big three for work and have been unimpressed with build quality, capabilities, et cetra. I feel the same behind the wheel of the new Tundra's. The only full size I could see getting into at the moment is the 1st gen Tundra or Titan and putting a flat bed on it so I could slide a camper on the back or two snowmachines.

Ya that is right, 3 Chevies. They are older though, newest being 2001. I have had one for 15yrs, the 2001 since new and added another in 2008. So I can't comment on a new Chevy but I would buy a new Chevy full sized truck. My three work trucks have been very faithful. The 2001 has the LQ4 6L and a 4L80e. I have towed all over the country with it, pulling old Nissan Patrols and other trucks. Probably 75,000 miles doing that. I have also towed 11,000lbs mini-excavators with it. 180,000 on it now and only once did it break down on the side of the road. Bad fuel pump at about 160,000. Had to do a few things to the front end like idler arm and wheel bearings. Otherwise it has not had any problems. I got 175,000 out of the front wheel bearings and 100,000 out of the stock brakes. I would say that is pretty good. These are all why I would buy a new Chevy over the other big two.

I have sat in a Titan a few times, not driven one. Did not like the feel of it.

I might consider a Dodge, I like the look of them and the interior too which interior is a big one for me. I would have to do more research though before getting into a Dodge.

Cheers

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Ya that is right, 3 Chevies. They are older though, newest being 2001. I have had one for 15yrs, the 2001 since new and added another in 2008. So I can't comment on a new Chevy but I would buy a new Chevy full sized truck. My three work trucks have been very faithful. The 2001 has the LQ4 6L and a 4L80e. I have towed all over the country with it, pulling old Nissan Patrols and other trucks. Probably 75,000 miles doing that. I have also towed 11,000lbs mini-excavators with it. 180,000 on it now and only once did it break down on the side of the road. Bad fuel pump at about 160,000. Had to do a few things to the front end like idler arm and wheel bearings. Otherwise it has not had any problems. I got 175,000 out of the front wheel bearings and 100,000 out of the stock brakes. I would say that is pretty good. These are all why I would buy a new Chevy over the other big two.

I have sat in a Titan a few times, not driven one. Did not like the feel of it.

I might consider a Dodge, I like the look of them and the interior too which interior is a big one for me. I would have to do more research though before getting into a Dodge.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, always respect the sage advice from a truck expert like you. Even better when it is free. :elkgrin:

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I'd trade my second gen Xterra for a 70 series landcruiser. But since those aren't available here I'd take an 80 series.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

skibum315

Explorer
I like this thread!!

Didn't see notes on rules in the first thread, or if they were there I was "selectively reading" so my apologies ... ask my wife about my "selective hearing" sometime. :rolleyes:

In no particular order of anything (practicality, cost caps, or availability concerns):
- I've always really liked the idea Ian put forth about the late(er) model Patrol with a factory outfitted TD42t ... that's a vehicle that'd be pretty high on my wish list; in either a 4-door short wheelbase or crew-cab ute body, please.
- Ever since Quigley published their photos of the blue NV van with KM2s on black wheels, out on the Utah rocks somewhere, I've been toying with how I'd go about a 4wd NV build ... that might be a fun project - Atlas, m205 front end, etc, etc. Maybe take inspiration from Chris at U-Joint for the exterior look and get Paul Jensen to do the interior. Or if we're talking blank-check vans: maybe a crew/extended cab version of V4, with a flat bed and matching XP-Camper.
- Another one that'd be pretty high on my list would be to start with a 2wd V8 Pathfinder (R51). Go 4x4 with an Atlas t-case and either keep the stock rear diff & see if I can work with Steeevo from Rugged Rocks to find a solution for gears/lockers and keep it IRS/IFS (Titan front diff/suspension in that case) ... or possibly go full-zoot (blank check needed) with a set of his Diamond/H233b axles. Middle of the road would be a custom rear leaf suspension and Titan front/rear axles.
- I love my '08 Xterra and the direction it's headed ... if I blew the motor tomorrow, I'd have a hard time letting it go. In that case I might have to seriously look at an LS swap and see if I could make that feasible.
- Or on the more realistic side, maybe a low-mile 80-Series with a V8 or a 2 door Wrangler Unlimited ... in either case, find one in good shape that's built and needs little.
- That new Titan with a Cummins that's coming for model year 2015 or 2016 (so say the press releases) is pretty appealing on paper, I may have to go sit in one when they hit dealer lots.

quickfarms

Adventurer
It all depends on the use.

You need a fleet of vehicles so you can choose the correct one for the mission.

Some are better at towing, some are better on the freeway and some are better in the dirt. Off-road the vehicle can be tailored for anything from sand to rock crawling. The truth is no vehicle will excel in every area.

Once the economy improves I should look into replacing the work truck. I would like a 4wd crew cab v8 ranger with a 6 foot bed, but they are not sold in the US

Blind_Io

Adventurer
This is a tough one. The future of the XTerra is questionable at best. I would consider a 4Runner Trail, but I hate all the electronic driver aids. I heard a rumor that after the success of the Raptor Ford is working on a solid axle Bronco revival. Jeep is supposed to be coming out with a diesel Wrangler which may tip me in that direction.

Right now I am in "wait and see" mode. I am looking for a cheap beater as my daily driver to take some yearly miles off the X and hopefully prolong its life

Sent via mobile.

Allof75

Pathfinder
This is a tough one. The future of the XTerra is questionable at best. I would consider a 4Runner Trail, but I hate all the electronic driver aids. I heard a rumor that after the success of the Raptor Ford is working on a solid axle Bronco revival. Jeep is supposed to be coming out with a diesel Wrangler which may tip me in that direction.

Right now I am in "wait and see" mode. I am looking for a cheap beater as my daily driver to take some yearly miles off the X and hopefully prolong its life

Sent via mobile.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that bronco, that's been a rumor for ages. :) The diesel wrangler I believe a little more considering the recent Jeep CRDs popping up.

Nvydvr

I am lucky enough to live in the "lucky country" where diesel's are a plenty.
Currently drive a 2008 turbo diesel d40 navara (frontier) which is great.
I am also actively looking for a 300Tdi Defender 110 which will become a restoration project to start with (am a qualified mechanic by trade but not in the industry anymore. Still comes in handy:) which would eventually replace the navara. There are plenty around for sale here, just need to find the right one for the right $$$.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I wouldn't hold my breath on that bronco, that's been a rumor for ages. :) The diesel wrangler I believe a little more considering the recent Jeep CRDs popping up.

I'm not counting on Ford to deliver a Bronco, especially since we are not getting the new Ranger in North America; so much for a global brand. I did hear that Ford is planning lots of new vehicle launches for 2015, I heard that over 40% of the line will be new designs for existing models, or completely new models. The new F-150 with a V6 will be filling the role of affordable truck from Ford for the time being, now that it is considerably lighter it will only be performing better with that V6 to give the Tacoma and Frontier a real run for it.

I personally don't like the larger size, which is why I have enjoyed my XTerra so much. So many other SUVs on the market have gotten quite bloated - in both exterior dimensions and equipment. The Land Cruiser is a fat pig compared to what it used to be in the days of the 80-series, and it was pretty luxurious by the day's standards. The 4Runner is now nearly the size of the 80-series, and the Trail edition is so loaded with electronic driver aids that I would have no idea where to start if I had to try to fix one in the bush. Then there is the Toyota price tag, it may just be me, but I think Toyotas are overvalued, especially on the used market. I know they are known for reliability, but I have a hard time believing some of the prices people are asking for 200,000+ mile Tacomas.

My concern with Jeep is, and always will be, reliability. My XJ-series Cherokee was a miserable pile of garbage, I've never experienced a less reliable vehicle, and that includes my wife's VW New Beetle. I really want Chrysler to get their act together on build quality and reliability, but it looks like they have quite a ways to go before I will trust my life to their products.

I sometimes wonder what I would buy if my XTerra were to be destroyed in a crash, and I honestly keep coming back to getting another XTerra and salvaging as much armor as I can from mine. I'd try to get the custom Alcan springs and the Bilstiens off the back and get a newer XTerra, re-install everything and hopefully have some money left for a Titan-swap.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I'm of the opinion my second gen Xterra has too many electronics than have the potential to cause problems. I've had to try to fix an FJC on the trail and that was an awful experience. If my Xterra bites the dust I'm going backwards.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm of the opinion my second gen Xterra has too many electronics than have the potential to cause problems. I've had to try to fix an FJC on the trail and that was an awful experience. If my Xterra bites the dust I'm going backwards.

Hahaha coming from the perspective of a guy who used to drive a Discovery, what you are saying is pure madness!

:D

stioc

Expedition Leader

Hahaha coming from the perspective of a guy who used to drive a Discovery, what you are saying is pure madness!

:D

Well there's some weight to that; with electronics there's very little you can do to rig something together to get you home. An extreme example would be if a fuel pump died on a carbureted car you could hang an empty jug/bottle from the antennae to get home. However, most electronics (ECU/PCM etc) have proven to have outlasted many mechanical parts- and newer designed components (both mechanical and electronics) are generally more durable too. Nissan, Honda and Toyota products from the last 10-15 years are probably the most reliable vehicles overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78