Fun question: What other 4x4 would you replace your current Toyota with and why?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I stole this from the Nissan section. Thanks stioc for the idea. It always seems like this section is clouded with nothing but tech and build threads, which is perfectly fine, but why not have a little fun? So..

Most of us love the trucks we own and wouldn't think of replacing them but if you had to make that choice what would it be and why? Try to think outside the realm of Toyota, but I understand wanting a 70-Series Land Cruiser.

If I was gonna replace the ole pickup in no particular order it'd be with(some are very unrealistic) :
- 2nd gen Montero: great looks, reliable, capable i.e rear locker. I just like these.
- 1st Gen 4runner: Probably my favorite Toyota. Needs no explanation.
- Jeep CJ5: just freaking cool with a great aftermarket. I almost bought one of these instead :Wow1:
- 60-Series Land Cruiser: I will own one someday. Absolutely love them.
- 2nd Gen Tundra: power, size, comfort, but I wouldn't buy one until I needed a full size.
- Jeep Wagoneer: V8, strong axles, look cool.
- Samurai: mildly built, YJ spring swap 33's, 1.6 VW conversion, yadda yadda. I'll probably wind up with one of these too.
- Mercedes G-Wagen: I love these but will never have the dough to throw at one.

Okay that's it. Lets see what you guys come up with.

J

JWP58

A Frontier, Colorado, or Montero. Maybe a Trooper, but the oil burning issues scared me away. An old Scout would be cool too.

SGTCap

Adventurer
If I totalled out my Tacoma tomorrow I would replace it with another just like it, but with an automatic. Barring that I would be looking at an FJ Cruiser, or Unlimited Rubicon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SGTCap

Adventurer
If I were looking to get a divorce I would have already parted with my Tacoma for this FJ that is somehow, some way, STILL for sale in the Expo for sale's. What the hell is going on...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/114653-MOSES-highly-modified-FJ-with-110K-in-receipts-!!!!!!

I looked really hard at that. I'm sure it's still available for the same reason I couldn't get it. $45k is more cash than I have (or could come off of in one chunck even if I had it) and more than any bank will finance for an 2008 FJ. Still, I would love to own it. In fact, I change my answer, I want THAT^.

Kinda different than your question but I decided to stay toyota.

Went from this;
u4ydadud.jpg

To this, just bought the other day.
pery5y8a.jpg

Gotta swap over the lift, armor, supercharger, wheels/tires and a couple other things. Gained two extra doors and cut my mileage in half to 58k.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Land Rover D-90 or ,if money weren't an object, fully-loaded Earthroamer complete with a significant financial windfall so I could travel the world in it!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd be hard pressed to find anything that would work better than my 4runner but I suppose either an Xterra with a manual transmission or an R51 Pathfinder. The X would be a better off road vehicle but the R51 would be a better tow vehicle for our teardrop trailer and if I was able to beef up the IRS on the Pathy it would probably be 'good enough' for light trail duty.

I really like the R51, it's a good size (several inches longer than my 4runner) and a great looking vehicle. Only downsides compared to the 4runner are weak aftermarket support, independent rear suspension and no multi-mode 4wd.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I was waiting on the people to start wanting Unimogs and Earthroamers.

Money is not an option so use your imagination. I can still think of stuff I'd like to have, I just didn't wanna cloud up the thread.

Don't be realistic. Have fun!

njtacoma

Explorer
If my tacoma were totaled by a falling meteor I would get a Chevy express van regular body, barn doors on the side, 3500 6.0 v-8. I've actually been looking at them, because it meets our travel needs better, and we like to mtn bike, so that will become our primary off road vehicle, besides hiking boots.

Windfall - similar maybe a 4x4 conversion. Although a sprinter high roof would probably trump the express.

ssapach

Adventurer
If my 4Runner burned to the ground and I needed to replace it, I might just opt for the insurance money in my pocket......in the long run it would be the cheapest route!

But because I like 4x4's and such (although I don't use them nearly as much as I'd like) I might try to get my hands on a K5 Blazer. The drivetrain possibilities and combinations are pretty extensive and I'm a sucker for an old square body GM or Chev. Not to mention it would have more room than my 4Runner......and I had one before and quite liked it!

That being said, I'm not about to get rid of my 4Runner for anything else.

Ranchero

Wanderer
1990 Doublecab Hilux 3L diesel 4x4. Soon eligible for import to US. Why? Diesel, solid axle, simple, cheap, and room for four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78