Functional differences between Discovery L462 and RRS L494

PhyrraM

Adventurer
From the reading I've been doing, the L405, L462 and L494 are all basically the same platform. The L405 Range Rover is obviously a tad bigger.

Other than the mix of different mixes of trim packages, option packages, features, engine options, and interior volumes is it safe to assume both the L462 and L494 have the same off-road capabilities? With the same wheel bases it seems the only functional difference would be slightly different approach and departure angles. Range of air suspension heights, as well as tire size choice, seems to be virtually the same from the bit of reading I have done.

The reason for the question is that the Sports were introduced in 2014 and are further along the depreciation curve than the Discos. Also, when it comes to the off road "goodies" it seems easier to find them on Sports than on Discoveries - especially a low range gearbox and the locking rear diff. The only major option that seems more common on the Discovery is the 360 cameras. For guys like me, that 5.0 supercharged V8 is pretty convincing....and not available in the Disco.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? It won't be a full expedition vehicle. Off road exploring, road tripping and 3-4 day weekend camping for the most part.

Howski

Hope someone can share more detailed information. I’ve not done a back to back direct comparison but the RRS will have notably less room than the Disco, particularly in the second row and cargo area

XJLI

Adventurer
I was under the impression that the D5 and new defender are platform sharing, and that they’re different than the RR and RRS which share a platform.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I was under the impression that the D5 and new defender are platform sharing, and that they’re different than the RR and RRS which share a platform.
According to Wikipedia and other reading the 2013-2022 Range Rover (L405), 2014-2023 Range Rover Sport (L494) and the 2017-current Discovery (L462) are on the D7u platform. The D7x that the current Defender is built on is supposedly similar but stronger. The F-Pace and Velar are on the D7a, which is a lighter weight version.

References:

DieselRanger

From the reading I've been doing, the L405, L462 and L494 are all basically the same platform. The L405 Range Rover is obviously a tad bigger.

Other than the mix of different mixes of trim packages, option packages, features, engine options, and interior volumes is it safe to assume both the L462 and L494 have the same off-road capabilities? With the same wheel bases it seems the only functional difference would be slightly different approach and departure angles. Range of air suspension heights, as well as tire size choice, seems to be virtually the same from the bit of reading I have done.

The reason for the question is that the Sports were introduced in 2014 and are further along the depreciation curve than the Discos. Also, when it comes to the off road "goodies" it seems easier to find them on Sports than on Discoveries - especially a low range gearbox and the locking rear diff. The only major option that seems more common on the Discovery is the 360 cameras. For guys like me, that 5.0 supercharged V8 is pretty convincing....and not available in the Disco.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? It won't be a full expedition vehicle. Off road exploring, road tripping and 3-4 day weekend camping for the most part.
The L494 and L462 are indeed the same platform, but the Defender L663 is beefed up a bit in strength appropriate to its more offroad focus. The L494 and L462 are both D7u, the Defender L663 is the D7x.

The running gear in the RRS and D5 are the same. The chassis tuning and some options are different. The RRS, while quite capable off road, is much more on-road focused - flatter cornering, firmer bump compliance, different tuning for brake bias and cornering brake control, etc. The transmission is the same but the shift points might be a little different as the RRS is listed as a tick or two quicker to 60 for the same engine types in the 2014-~2020 model years.

On the D5, the rear locker initially only came with the 7 seat option, and then you had to sacrifice cargo, underfloor storage, and I believe a full sized spare under the back end. But, there's still more cargo area in the D5 than in the RRS. Both are just as capable - there was a video that's since been deleted of a completely stock RRS (including street tires) completing black bear pass - might have been a 2014.

Either way, look for Terrain Response 2 - that required the low range gearbox. I don't have a rear locker on my D5 and have never needed it, even with three wheels on ice and one (rear) in a hole. If you're going to tow, it might help you get moving a little easier on wet grass or in muck but with the right tires and no trailer, and TR2, both are pretty unstoppable as it is.

I shopped both in 2017 and chose the D5 because I could get the same level of capability at $10k less.

I'll also add that I bought the Td6 because I wanted range for road trips and gobs of torque for offroading at 10,000+ feet without the fuel consumption penalty. It's a super sweet engine - 76,000miles and zero issues - but they're exceedingly rare and for those of us who have them, you'll have to pry them out from under our cold, dead a$$es.

Last edited:

lvivier

I'm thinking along the same lines and currently shopping for a pre-facelift L494. I'd put 20" wheels on and something like BFG Trail Terrain T/A in 275/55R20.

Per the 2016 catalogue, to get the rear locker you're getting a Supercharged or Autobiography, which means big brakes and big wheels. 20" is as small as you can go and most cars are on 21s or 22s.

Another consideration is the Discovery spare is accessed underneath the car, vs the L494 where you'll be unloading all your cargo to get to it.

DieselRanger

I'm thinking along the same lines and currently shopping for a pre-facelift L494. I'd put 20" wheels on and something like BFG Trail Terrain T/A in 275/55R20.

Per the 2016 catalogue, to get the rear locker you're getting a Supercharged or Autobiography, which means big brakes and big wheels. 20" is as small as you can go and most cars are on 21s or 22s.

Another consideration is the Discovery spare is accessed underneath the car, vs the L494 where you'll be unloading all your cargo to get to it.
Also in the RRS, for a full sized spare you have to sacrifice even more cargo space as it requires a raised interior cargo floor cover, or you have to buy something like a Wilco Hitchgate tire carrier

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I ended up finding a 2017 RRS Supercharged Dynamic. In mid 2023 L494s are just much better value for money, option for option, than the L462s - if you don't need the extra space.

I mostly camp solo and rarely go for more than a 3 day weekend. Cargo space wasn't too much of a concern and both Discoveries and Sports are more than large enough. The internal spare presents a small problem as I'd have to unload to access it (I have ideas though).

A few random discoveries/thoughts regarding the L494 from my research:

The auxiliary battery/power stabilization module (for start/stop) sits behind the right hand rear trim panel. The EURO models with the 4.4 TDV8 have a full size battery packed in there. Ordering up some EURO battery brackets should mount a second battery quite nicely.

Models with the standard 2 zone climate control have a huge unused space behind the left rear panel that would be otherwise filled with the rear HVAC unit. This is large enough for a compressor, inverter, solar charger, power distribution, etc....all without infringing on the seemingly smaller cargo area.

A 275/55R20 (32") fits in the spare tire well.

If your are looking for a balance of options, but will need to compromise. Adaptive cruise control is easy to add while the 360 cameras are not. I should have researched this first...as I prioritized the ACC...Grrr.

The OEM 20" wheels needed to clear Brembos are "Style 520". They are technically stock on the Supercharged V8s (year dependent), but it seems most were optioned up to 21" or 22" wheels.

2017 models are unique in that they have the older "pushbutton" HVAC controls (which I prefer) and they also have the 10" TouchPro screen that can be upgraded to Android Auto/Car Play.

The Discoveries already have a much bigger aftermarket than the L494....I'm guessing that will even out (a bit) as the Sports age and get into their second and third owners.

The Supercharged V8 exhaust note is intoxicating.

lvivier

Congrats on your new rover!

Models with the standard 2 zone climate control have a huge unused space behind the left rear panel that would be otherwise filled with the rear HVAC unit. This is large enough for a compressor, inverter, solar charger, power distribution, etc....all without infringing on the seemingly smaller cargo area.
I wondered what would be in that space…good to know.

Regarding wheels, I've seen this photo floating around of an L494 with Black Rhino Alstons. Looks insane! Lucky8 markets them as fitting the Disco 5 and L405. But they have a 25mm offset, which seems wrong. Anyone know anything about this vehicle?

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 4.33.02 PM.png

lvivier

Bravo! Looking sharp. A 2015 Autobiography Dynamic followed me home today. Look forward to reading about your build!

lvivier

Chiming in regarding wheel choices:

IMG_2645.jpeg

These are aftermarket wheels, Replika R230, a 20x9, offset 48 with the correct bolt pattern and hub bore. They are similar to Style 508 OEM wheels. No fitment issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan