Funny little circuit board

Goochm

Observer
So the bumper-mounted driving lights on my D1 went out. Power gets to the relay at least, but none to the dash switch . THe question is when I pulled the swith I found a tiny curcuit board inline with what looks like a resistor and transister on it. What the heck is it for, and can I safely wire around it It seems rather superflous IMO.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
It probably has something to do with canbus. Most vehicles now days use computers and microprocessors to control lights, heaters and so forth. The reason for this is to run lighter wiring and use the same wires to do multiple tasks.

In short it may not be wise to bypass that circuit board. Often times the wiring is to small to handle the load of lighting.

sven

Adventurer
Ive honestly never saw a tiny circuit board thing on my D1. Maybe a PO did this?

pokeyYJ

Observer
It probably has something to do with canbus. Most vehicles now days use computers and microprocessors to control lights, heaters and so forth. The reason for this is to run lighter wiring and use the same wires to do multiple tasks.

In short it may not be wise to bypass that circuit board. Often times the wiring is to small to handle the load of lighting.

D1 wouldn't have a CAN bus on it.

Goochm

Observer
Just wanted to sincerely thank all for the replies. Still no clue as to what the board is for, when I get the chance I think I'll rewire from the underdash fuse (getting power at least that far) to the switch. I think that will either fix the no driving lights problem or blow the fuse...which will leave me no worse off or maybe help clue me in to the problem!:26_7_2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998