Fuses and Blue Sea ML-ACR

theREDwonder

Observer
Hey guys, I've been reading and digesting as much as I can from here and Tacoma World. I know that most people recommend a fuse on any hot line as close to the battery as possible. When is that not the case? I am going to mount the ML-ACR on top of my second battery, top left in this picture (not my setup, but will be similar):

dsc_0426-jpg.982473

The mount on the battery will be like this (but only one battery):

IMG_2665_grande.JPG

Blue Sea recommends a fuse on each hot line:

But with the ML-ACR mounted on the battery, the positive cable is super short, and adding a fuse would pretty much double the length of the cable and be a little pointless in my mind. Am I wrong in thinking that? I will for sure have a fuse next to the main battery before the 7' run across the engine bay to the ML-ACR.
ML-ACRs.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I don't bother using fuses on my dual battery setup since both batteries, the solenoid, and all the cables are in the engine compartment, and the cables are secure from damage.

If I was feeding a second battery that was not under the hood (all in the same metal box, basically), then I would use fuses.

For the setup in the pic, you dont need fuses, and if the second battery was somewhere else and you needed the fuse, you could put the fuse after the ACR.

theREDwonder

Observer
I don't bother using fuses on my dual battery setup since both batteries, the solenoid, and all the cables are in the engine compartment, and the cables are secure from damage.

If I was feeding a second battery that was not under the hood (all in the same metal box, basically), then I would use fuses.

For the setup in the pic, you dont need fuses, and if the second battery was somewhere else and you needed the fuse, you could put the fuse after the ACR.

Thanks for the reply. Through tons of reading, I know that you don't use fuses (seen it posted a handful of times). I'll probably just use the one on the long run and leave it.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Slick setup.

If you're planning to winch from that setup, its not recommended to fuse them either. If possible it try to rearrange so the negative isn't crossing under the positive. With a washboard roads over time, wearing underneath could expose a short directly from neg to pos. That would be potentially catastrophic. Or at least put a punch more insulator between that neg and the pos clamp.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply. Through tons of reading, I know that you don't use fuses (seen it posted a handful of times). I'll probably just use the one on the long run and leave it.

Errr, that is TWO on the long run - one at each end, as close to each battery as possible. No point in fusing only one end of a wire that is hot at BOTH ends. (Think about it a moment and it will become clear.)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Errr, that is TWO on the long run - one at each end, as close to each battery as possible. No point in fusing only one end of a wire that is hot at BOTH ends. (Think about it a moment and it will become clear.)

Oh yea, and that too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12