Fuso 3.0 , Duonic transmission, SCR ?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Everything pre-Canter, they're great trucks. Other than the last generation FM/FKs sold in the states that had chronic common rail, injector and pump issues.

It's scary that there are going to be people out there, who are a private owner or small company, with the Canters out of warranty soon. In fact, I'm starting to see them now. Once of which I have here now and will likely be a customer-pay Duonic replacement.

Is this forum mainly stateside trucks, or world trucks? If state side, I'd be willing to help with any technical questions you guys may have in the future. I'm very active in my own automotive interest forums, so frequently check them all. Can't make any promises that I will be able to help, but I'll try and it's as simple as a PM.

I would say that for the Fusos it is mainly US and Australian posters. I'm in the US and have a 2007 FG which has been very reliable.

Do you have any other forums you recommend for the Fusos?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm in the US also with a 99FG and about 210k miles. I've owned it since 176k miles and have been very happy. Manual transmission (not without its problems--the syncros don't last)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The FGs in Australia come with manual transmissions and low range, with the exception of the first generation of FGB71s that did not have low range.
We do get the Duonic here but I expect that most Ozzies on this forum would have little contact with them, as they are not fitted to the 4x4 models. We also do not have the same emissions standards as the US, so the engine setup is also a bit different.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm in the US also with a 99FG and about 210k miles. I've owned it since 176k miles and have been very happy. Manual transmission (not without its problems--the syncros don't last)

I had never learned how to double-clutch before I had a Fuso. :)

dlh62c

Explorer
Once of which I have here now and will likely be a customer-pay Duonic replacement.

What type of failure or failures are the Duonic's having?

Considering that the Duonic can be driven in either one of two modes, are the failures in the 'Automatic' or 'Manual' mode?

Are the customers left stranded somewhere, when even the 'Manual' mode doesn't work?

What are the customer complaints regarding the Duonic transmission that put the truck into the shop?

Have you driven a truck with a Duonic transmission yourself, if you have, did you experience any of theses failures?

Last edited:

Decanter

Adventurer
Mitsu had a big recall early 2014 in AUS and TSB's were issued in the US. They were aware of the contamination of the Duonic in production. All of the complaints I read last night were pre mid 2014. This transmission was in US 4WD and 2WD trucks. Not sure about AUS trucks. I believe the outage currently being experienced is being caused by the switch of inventory to the manual 4WD vehicle with the low range transfer case. It appears you can still purchase 2WD Fuso's with Duonic Transmission as can be seen here: http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2017-Mitsubishi-Fuso-Fe160--114947789

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Interesting info, Preferio.

How much is that duo if going to cost the customer?

So far, I've got 48k miles on ours, no duo issues, but other issues for sure, like scr and sensors. I'm still saying that if there's a major drivetrain failure, this truck will be getting a Cummins and Allison combo.

Decanter

Adventurer
I just visited my dealer for TSB's and to have my tire size changed and my lights programmed for LED so I stop throwing a code with my LED backup camera light. They changed the oil to 5w30 synthetic per Mitsu, flashed the TCM, had a back order on the transmission filter TSB so I have to go back for that. They didn't have parts yet out for the update to the cold weather kit. According to the service tech Duonic problems cleared up with added filtration.

Czechsix

Yep, I haven't heard anything about that "November" TSB project, other than what my tech told me, which is FUSO is staging the parts around the country in an effort to get it all done at once.

I'll have to talk to my local guy about the filtration for the Duonic - mine's been done, but what your tech said is in opposition to what Preferio said. I note that P did more or less of a drive by - joined, posted a couple of times, and then disappeared. I sent him a PM, but he hasn't been back since the day he joined and posted his info. Interesting.

Howard70

Adventurer
I'm Happy With Ours

All I can say (again) is that Heidi and I are happy with our 2014 US FG & Duonic after some 30,000 + miles & a lot of great country. We've had absolutely 0 mechanical issues with the transmission. We have had 0 issues with the DPF system. However, we've had more issues with the DEF system than we liked, but it's been sorted out. I'm afraid to admit it on this thread, but we actually like the Duonic now that we've learned how to drive it optimally and manage our tire pressure to help it perform. We'd like a lower 1st and we'd invest in a 2 speed transfercase if one was available, but we'd still rather "Wake up in Prima Terra than in any city on earth."

Howard Snell

dlh62c

Explorer
Glad to here your one happy camper...no pun intended!

I'm afraid to admit it on this thread, but we actually like the Duonic now that we've learned how to drive it optimally and manage our tire pressure to help it perform. We'd like a lower 1st and we'd invest in a 2 speed transfercase if one was available, but we'd still rather "Wake up in Prima Terra than in any city on earth."

First time I operated a Duonic transmission, a service manager was riding shotgun. His tip was not to release the brake pedal with your foot and immediately mash down on the accelerator. His advice was to release pressure on the brake pedal, allow the creep function to engage and let the G-Sensor do its thing. The Duonic will then downshift to the appropriate gear to start off from a stop. Depending on the road slope, it was often 2nd gear.

When using the Duonic transmission with cruise control, the Duonic would only downshift one gear, if it needed to downshift again, the cruise control would disengage. First time I experienced this was one of those ****** moments.

Copied and pasted from a service manual
(1) Control for automatic selection of starting gear
• When the vehicle is brought to a stop with the gearshift lever in the “D” position, the control unit selects the starting
gear based on the road slope angle (as determined depending on the G sensor information) and the estimated
vehicle mass (as determined depending on the vehicle speed and accelerator pedal angle). Then a shift to the selected
gear takes place automatically.

Czechsix

Glad to here your one happy camper...no pun intended!

First time I operated a Duonic transmission, a service manager was riding shotgun. His tip was not to release the brake pedal with your foot and immediately mash down on the accelerator. His advice was to release pressure on the brake pedal, allow the creep function to engage and let the G-Sensor do its thing. The Duonic will then downshift to the appropriate gear to start off from a stop. Depending on the road slope, it was often 2nd gear.

When using the Duonic transmission with cruise control, the Duonic would only downshift one gear, if it needed to downshift again, the cruise control would disengage. First time I experienced this was one of those ****** moments.

Copied and pasted from a service manual
(1) Control for automatic selection of starting gear
• When the vehicle is brought to a stop with the gearshift lever in the “D” position, the control unit selects the starting
gear based on the road slope angle (as determined depending on the G sensor information) and the estimated
vehicle mass (as determined depending on the vehicle speed and accelerator pedal angle). Then a shift to the selected
gear takes place automatically.

I've found that if I'm on a steep uphill slope, stopped, and have to start up it - if I release the brake and "allow the creep function to engage" I'm pretty much guaranteed to roll back a couple of feet before it engages. For situations like that, I run it in manual mode, use the parking brake if needed, and accelerator. Even with that, not unusual for me to get a high clutch temp warning.

It would be very interesting to see how it behaves in a city with lots of hills, like San Francisco.

Czechsix

2012, eh?

We're in the same boat.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with support, asking them for an ETA on the DPF/Turbo recall. I was told that they're still in the planning stage, with the EPA still needing to approve the software changes, and they'll be working backwards - 2016 trucks will be dealt with first, and our 2012's will be in the third or fourth quarter of 2017 (which to me means 2018, realistically). I was also told that since I'm in this state, apparently I can't get the cold weather kit installed, which was another recall - but CARB doesn't like it, so that's that.

I'll have to plan the Alaska trip very carefully, that's for sure.

dlh62c

Explorer
Are you lifting your foot off the brake pedal and going immediately to the accelerator?

At a stop, slightly release pressure on the brake pedal until you feel the creep function engage. The transmission will downshift, if it needs to. You should see the gear change in the display cluster. Once the creep function engages, then transfer your foot to the accelerator.

Last edited:

Czechsix

When I stop, the transmission downshifts normally to first gear. If I release the brake pedal, slowly or suddenly, doesn't matter....it'll roll back. Note that this is on steep hills though - the kind of hill that will give you a trans oil overheat warning when you take off. Or try to take off.

If anyone's familiar with it, a good example is in La Jolla (San Diego area, California), heading up the hill from the beach. That's one place I can guarantee that it'll happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior