Fuso FE180 vs Isuzu NQR 4x4 Coversion

riptilyaflip

Looking to build my expedtion vehicle. After much research I've come to the same conclusion as RUF Inc. in that the Fuso FG is too small of a platform for a 16' camper body. However, unlike Ruf, I'm thinking 26,000 gvw is bigger than I need and that an 18,000 gvw vehicle would be good. (Not to single out Ruf, he's just the only one I've seen to convert the FM into a 4x4) I actually looked into converting the FK with Tulsa Truck, as they only work with air brakes. I think the smaller cab of the 18,000 gvw vehicles will be much nicer to drive both on and off road, as Baja is a main staple. This will be used to travel throughout the US, Baja, and Canada.
So, my question to the knowledgeable folks out there is; Would you prefer the Fuso FE180 or Isuzu NQR platform for a 4x4 conversion/expedition camper? Which truck is better and why?
I'm looking at a 2005 -2007 for the obvious emissions issues, and I want the Aisin 6 speed auto transmission, which is available on either truck.
To me the primary chassis considerations would be brakes; which the FE is disc front and rear, NQR is disc up front only. Suspension/ride quality, frame strength, occupant comfort, and serviceabilty.
My other question, is for a 16' camper body, what would be the prefered wheel base, 152" or 164". I was thinking 152" for the turning radius, but maybe 164" for the amount of rear overhang?
Atlas will have a divorced 2 speed transfer case available by the end of the year, so looking to use that with a 3.8:1 ratio. A Dana 60 up front should work just fine. Might go to a Dana 80 for the rear, to illiminate the single rear wheel issue, get matching lug patterns so I would only need 1 spare, as well as have the ability to get a good LSD and ARB lockers.
Any and all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks,
Rob

haven

Expedition Leader
The NQR was sold by Chevrolet and GMC as the W4500 for many years. There seem to be more NQR/W4500 models available for sale used, and I think there should be more dealers familiar with the Isuzu than the Mitsubishi.

Isuzu makes a 4x4 version called the NQS. I've never seen one in USA, but the front axle parts and transfer case are available from Isuzu overseas.

Jfet

Adventurer
I am using a 2006 NRR for my build, you might consider that model as well to give you more options when looking. 19500 GVW and the lowest CoG of all of the models (in the 176 inch wheelbase).

Here is a pic of mine:

IsuzuNNR.jpg

lobo2051

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I've been asking the same questions.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the difference of interior cab space between the NPR and FE/FG? I know the NPR has quite a bit more availability and support in the US than the Fuso, but I'm still weighing heavily on the Fuso for the international service support when I do OS travels. I've read on other posts that the Fuso has quite a bit better service support than the NPRs.

This would apply hevilly to axle and engine selections; Again leaning toward the FG as replacement components that are available in the US as well as "reportadly" plentiful and more service availability oversees for engine or axle issues. But if one were to go fully custom using a cummins powerplant and D60/80 axles, what kind of issues would we face needing maintanance or service support over in Austraila, Asia, & Europe? Anyone from over in those countries that can provide some input?

I'm considering an exteemly customized project that could feasibly only use the cab and frame from a doner NPR or Fuso and utilize Cummins, Alison and Dana drivetrain as mentioned above. At that point, I may go as far as relocating drive train to the rear, allow for solid cab mount and full pass through to the camper area. But I don't want to build something selecting major compontents (engine, trans, axles) that don't have a large pool of replacement parts and service centers in other countries.

I know I'm probably just advertising my ignorance here, but is this a reasonable concern or are Cummins and Dana components and service centers readily available in other countries?

haven

Expedition Leader
If you can believe the Isuzu worldwide web site, they are represented by distributors in 141 countries. That's a few more than Fuso. http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/distributor/index.html

Lobo2051, sounds like you're using a Fuso or Isuzu cab, and putting it on a completely custom chassis! Like that "Crawler Hauler" project on Xtreme Offroad TV, where they stuff a 6 cylinder Cummins and Ford F350 axles into an Isuzu truck.

lobo2051

Haven, I "could" be considering a build that would be something along the lines of that "Crawler Hauler" you mention. I've already looked into putting custom frame rails under an NPR, and reversing the direction of Dana axles if I do a rear engine build. But I don't want to let the creative portion of my mind run that wild yet. If the vehicle would stay in the US, I would start building around those components without a second thought. But I'd want to get some input regarding the availability of repair parts and service centers for cummins, alison, and Dana/Ford in other countries first. I've only started developing this project from a concept idea to design stage, so I've just started the research. If I don't get a good level of confidence that I'll be able to get some service support if I blow an engine or tranny oversees somewhere, I'll stay with a closer to stock FG. But if I can go into just about any city in any country and find a knowlagble tech to help me fix a cummins/alison; if I can get wheel bearings, joints, axles, etc for the Dana gear, than it's going to be a ground-up build. At that point, the cab selection will depend on the differences between the NPR and FG.

But I don't want to take the original thread here too far off topic, rest assured I will start a thread of the future beast in due time. So to the original question regarding NPR vs. Fuso/Canter. Does anyone have any input regarding just cab comfort and space between the two? How well are the instrument panels laid out. Is it relatively easy to install a good set of suspension seats in either cab?

I've sat in a couple of the NPRs in my local area, but I haven't seen an Fuso/Canter here to even peek into to. There's a parts yard 4 hours away that has a couple cabs and trucks. Havent' taken the time to head out there and check them out yet.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is it relatively easy to install a good set of suspension seats in either cab?
I cannot speak for the Isuzu, but in the Canter, installing a suspension seat on the passenger's side will render the engine access panel useless. Not a big issue, as access to the engine is far better when you tilt the cab, but it should be noted.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I cannot speak for the Isuzu, but in the Canter, installing a suspension seat on the passenger's side will render the engine access panel useless. Not a big issue, as access to the engine is far better when you tilt the cab, but it should be noted.

I didn't even realize there was an engine access panel in the Fuso. I thought that was just in the crew cab version.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I didn't even realize there was an engine access panel in the Fuso. I thought that was just in the crew cab version.

Hi Kerry,

No. All the single cabs from Isuzu and FUSO have engine hatches under the passenger seat......well the RHD models do for sure and I guess LHD models are the same......except for the current Isuzu models where engine access is only by tilting the cab. They only deleted the engine hatch recently on the single cabs.

As a matter of interest, there is one exception...... Isuzu still have a LWB 2WD single cab N-Series model that is imported especially for our motorhome market where the vehicle is expected to have a Luton peak (therefore no cab tilt) so still retains an engine hatch.

Hey, another thing that might be handy for someone....On the 2006 N-Series (like the one shown above), if the engine hatch was deleted because of a suspension seat being fitted, I used to make an extended oil dipstick and run it out behind the front mudguard. Just something to make life easier.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior