Fuso FG 4x4 Custom Expedition Vehicle Build

jetstreamin

Well, I finally made the flight from Arizona to BC to collect my truck and drive it back home to Ontario Canada - what a drive!!! The truck is everything and more that i had hoped for. ITB and Total Composites knocked it out of park! I would 100% recommend working with these guys to build your dream for sure, i got what i paid for and then some!

Next stop was Canmore to see Fuso Offroad to get the Australian suspension system installed (see above post - well worth it!) and the new bush bars and roof rack.

Home safe and sound now the real fun begins decking out the interior systems and external racking etc etc... more to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 358
  • _DSF1233.jpg
    _DSF1233.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 340

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Very, very nice !

Are you going to fit a roof spoiler ?

We found it makes in the Iveco truck we have a big difference in fuel and noise...

jetstreamin

Cheers unloaded indeed and i have packers for the rear when i start to build the interior and load it to level things out. No pics as yet, i am currently emptying my bank account buying all of the interior stuff lol ready to fit in the Spring and will share as i progress.

Last edited:

jetstreamin

Hi All!

Just checking in as progress on this thread has been light and for good reason, we have escaped the deep freeze in Canada back in February and after returning home with the truck headed out to Arizona for a few months. Although there is no practical progress on the truck there is a lot of planning going on for the next phase of fitting out the interior systems.

The number one focus is the electrical which will be driven entirely from solar, with lots help from my good friend Oliver over from Germany right now in their rig. I have been ordering all of the components needed for the build (there is way more available in the US than Canada!).

We are going for a lithium battery bank and after a lot of research, we decided on Battle Born batteries as they came out on top for performance coupled with cost, at nearly $4000 for 4 there is still a lot of money tied up but well worth it. We are looking to purchase and add another 2 to our current 4 giving us 600ah in total.

Next is the roof space layout (see attached). We already have the escape hatch fitted and are looking to add a thermostatically controlled Fan-Tastic Fan towards the front of the roof with 2 large solar panels in the center mounted on rails - this would give us 740Watts of solar input.

This will really start to ramp up in May when we return to Canada and start fitting these components and I will start to post as much detail as I can.

I am really glad of the help with the electrical as it is not my strong point and a little daunting!

I will post a full equipment list for the electrical once it is completed for anyone following along.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 198

jetstreamin

Ahhhhh the joys of Countryizm!!! (yes its a real thing - the sad truth!) We are Canadian and live in Canada for the Spring and Summer but are lucky enough to have a second home in Arizona where we spend 3 months of the year living as locals during the winter months. This Winter i have spent researching and ordering a multitude of parts to pack the F150 with to return back to Canada In May and continue the expedition truck build.

With the current exchange rate we pay $0.34 Cents on the dollar effectively making things just under a 3rd more expensive.... a price i am happy to pay not to be freezing my ass off in -30C!

That said there is a darker side to online purchasing and this has lead to a complex buying process. Amazon.com in the US is 100% awesome as is the Prime service especially when you need things in a hurry, Amazon.com has the widest selection of products i have seen and compared to the country-specific Amazon.ca site. I also understand this as it is a US company and it only stands to reason there would be more of a selection in the country of origin, that coupled with the population density when compared to Canada.

Now as i mentioned before I understand exchange rates and also understand import and shipping duties, it is the way of the world but after comparing the costs of the vast majority of items and taking those costs into consideration i am finding some things are up to $200 more expensive for the same product!!!! ******! This is way beyond the exchange rate and duties.

It was a worthwhile costing exercise for anyone outside of the US to do when completing a build as i have found the vast majority of items i either cannot get or if i can they are grossly overpriced. Even with crossing the border and declaring the items we have purchased we are still better off having bought in the US.

I am all for supporting local businesses, i run one myself but things are really going to have to change in the attitude on price point for people to buy local on allot of items.

Now the only issue i have it how to fit all this stuff in the truck to take home and then the fun begins on the install.

More posts to follow as the build unfolds, thanks for reading the rant and i hope this saves some folks some $$$$.

I will supply a post detailing all of the suppliers i used for each element of the project as this has taken a great deal of time to research and will also hopefully save you some hours.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78