Fuso FG or Isuzu NPS and why ?

CraigK

Greetings from South Africa. I'm wanting to step into the realm of the 4x4 truck and having considered the options we seem to have including ex military vehicles (Samil and Unimog) I feel the best route for my primary needs of hunting, fishing and camping a commercial vehicle is best suited the question is which one ?

I look forward to your more knowledgeable replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Mitsubishi Fuso because

1. You posted your question in the Mitsubishi Heavy Truck forum, and
2. Only MDT COE 4x4 option available in the USA.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'd guess with you being in South Africa you have a much better selection like our Aussie brothers do.
Here is a good thread from 2010 on the Expo Board Link Here (5 pages of great information, with pluses and minuses from the Aussies who get to use both the Fuso and the Isuzu )
and a little more info on the NPS Here
Best of luck with your search, and I hope we see a great Fuso/NPS/etc work for you.

Last edited:

Jfet

Adventurer
I stopped by to look at a 2014 FG4x4 and also the 2014 FE160 crew cab (because the crew cab would be sweet for my flatbed camper build). I was quite surprised that these were now 3.0L 161hp 295 lb-ft engines. The dealer said the awesome duonic transmission means they don't need as much hp.

My 2007 Isuzu 5.2L NRR has 190hp and the new Isuzu NQR crew cab has 215hp 452 lb-ft. Maybe the Isuzu transmissions don't have that awesomeness?

DzlToy

Explorer
I was quite surprised that these were now 3.0L 161hp 295 lb-ft engines. The dealer said the awesome duonic transmission means they don't need as much hp.

Did you drive it? They are dog turds empty, cannot imagine one with a 4-5k camper box (supplies, water, personal items, extra fuel, etc) or more on it.. I realise the trend is smaller engines for "better economy" but if the engine is revving its balls off or struggling all the time, better fuel economy is not the result.

In the 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel truck world, manufacturers have gone the same way with emissions stuff. So now a new one ton diesel truck gets 10-12 MPG but the exhaust is clean. So you burn 50% more fuel to get to your destination?? How is that better?

Not sure what your options are in SA or what the emissions laws are there, but you may wish to consider an older truck with good service history. They do not require DEF/Ad Blue and could potentially be much easier/cheaper to service than a new truck saddled with electro-gadgets. If you talk to the camper builders in Oz, they will generally tell you that the Isuzu is the better built truck IIRC...

Good luck in your search

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The dealer said the awesome duonic transmission means they don't need as much hp.
From memory there was a 100% recall on those gearboxes, so I am not seeing their "awesomeness".

That aside... I do not know what's like on your side of the planet, but here the Fuso spare parts prices are considerably more than the Isuzu spares. Trust me, I know... I have a Fuso.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
From my very limited knowledge of the South African specs.......I believe they still have the FG 106 with the 4.9 litre engine in Euro3 trim. Possibly the original poster could provide some info on exactly what's available there. Our FUSO FgB71 here in OZ is a 5speed manual gearbox with the new 3litre European engine in Euro 5 trim and the emissions standard of the North American FGB72 is more like the equivalent of Euro 6 if it runs DEF as well as DPD and EGR. ......AND I have a suspicion the SA Isuzu NPS is also only a Euro 3 engine like the old 2007 and prior Austrlian models.

If we can find out what spec they are maybe we could align that with the Australian models and offer some solid advice. At our work we just built a body on a new 2013 Isuzu FTS from Africa and shipped it back last week and I can tell you it was almost exactly the same as the Australian 2006 model. It was a real déjà vu working on it.

Craig, we certainly welcome you to the forum anyway. Would be fantastic to have your input once you finally decide on a chassis. I am told the guys at Ramcon have good experience with the small Japanese truck. Peter Wooly is the guy there if I remember rightly. I'd pay him a visit if he is around your neighbourhood .

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The dealer said the awesome duonic transmission means they don't need as much hp.

Not sure about that, but I did see that this transmission is not awesome for off highway use and that they are going to offer a different option for the FG. As I understand it, the issue is that it is not a slushbox (torque converter) transmission but rather an automatic-manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan