Fuso, International or Cummins

garybo

Adventurer
On a global basis would parts and service be more available for the Fuso 4 cyl, an older International DT 466 or Cummins diesels?

haven

Expedition Leader
Fuso has a dealer presence in more than 150 countries. That doesn't mean that they would have the right parts for a USA version of the Canter, or even that they would be willing to help order the parts. But you'd find people who are familiar with Fuso engines. Cummins and Caterpillar are used in so many ways (generators, stationary pumps of all kinds, marine applications, as well as construction machinery) that there is likely to be service available in any major town. It will be expensive, but available. I don't have any experience with International/Navistar in faraway places.

The best bet for global service of a truck is Mercedes. Older Mercedes products, pre-electronics era, would be more common in developing countries.

Here's an example, a Mercedes 1017 4x4, outfitted with a Global Expedition Vehicles camper

MBZ1017GXV.jpg

And here's a link to Bill Caid's Mercedes 1017A with Hi-Lo camper

http://www.billcaid.com/2010/1017ACamperConstruction20100921/TripMain.html

garybo

Adventurer
From our amateur status, I must give my highest compliments to Haven and Fearless for their comments gained from real world Expedition experience over time. We're less than Expedition people but can adapt these wise thoughts for our travel purposes. Thanks. Gary

westyss

Explorer
Hi there,
Travelling for the last 3 years in a 2009 Fuso FG 84 4X4 Motorhome I can confirm and agree 100% with the comment above. the 150 fuso dealers world wide mean little (once you turn up most are nt even interested in helping you!) except when you like to use the dealer to do your oil change etc for very high prices. Once we left Australia we lost all warranty and support. In Africa-Europe-Russia and now South East Asia spare parts are unavailable for this model. So you require a Credit card and a account with DHL or FEDEX. after 150000KM Off Road Travel I am also convinced that this truck is not a perfect OFF ROAD EXPEDITION VEHICLE. The mercedes above or a MAN prior to 2007 (Euro 3) are much better choices and world wide service and most parts are available. Remember sooner or later you do require service with any truck as things brake or fail, once you use the 4WD the way it should be used OFF ROAD. Having said this the Fuso Engine is perfect but my view with the light Fuso truck is that other components are not designed for the harsh environment such as parts of Africa Northern Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and South Asia.
Hence service and breakdowns are frequent. Unless you have a credit card and DHL account, waiting for parts to be delivered via the dealer could take up to 3 months. ( We have been quoted 5 months for Fuel injectors from Japan by Fuso Benelux to arrive) Hence the only option was DHL at high cost plus all the duties. No experience with Cummings or international bu both brands I have seen in Africa. Cheers Fearless.

Wow, it sounds like that thing is falling apart, what items have failed on you or broken? I have been using mine hard, 07 FG but only have 40,000km on it and nothing has come up at all! Please let us know what has failed, I have yet to hear from anyone about the FG having major breakdowns, any Oz folk have some input here? Fuel injectors sounds like poor fuel, no?

garybo

Adventurer
I would have to have on a bullet proof vest if I suggested living in a Landcruiser with a roof top tent! We're just not that tough. We need a "box" of some sort on back. Trying to classify traveling rigs, for us, and in consideration of the above, there's "Offroad", "Onroad", and "City" rigs. Offroad would be Merc 1017 and MANs, Onroad includes poor roads, more for civilized areas, without the abuse of offroad, and City for smaller streets in European city areas. For our thinking, I think the Fuso is an Onroad rig. One can put their rig into these categories as they wish at their own risk, but the above info forwarns of moving up into the Offroad category.

From experience, in the Onroad category, would the Toyota Tacoma/Hilux or just Landcruiser parts and service be available in most world areas?

garybo

Adventurer
I've tried to look over Bill Caid's build site for the 1300 and the 1017A but it's too exhausting! He's the major consulting type when things go wrong with your Merc. What build talent.

PeterSel

Hi Garybo

Been lurking for awhile . Good forum.

Hasn't your FUSO already been around the world once already? I thought it had done it's fair share of "offroad" too. Can't imagine Terra Del Fuego being a cakewalk. Do you know what troubles the Greene's had getting service in more remote areas or what mechanical issues the truck had?

biggoolies

Adventurer
I suppose as with those travelling with heavy Mercedes or other heavy trucks, you will want to bring the parts that have a possibility of breaking down. I know before I take the great journey to other countries with little Fuso service, I am going to know my drivetrain inside out, bring parts that have the possibility of breaking and a full set of appropriate tools and diagnostic equipment. Relying on an unknown service center your taking a chance. What do you do if you are 300 miles away from any service? Perhaps a list of parts we can carry along would be a good thing to put together as a group? I know that a set of injectors and a spare alternator is a start. A spare clutch. Brake parts. What else?
Darcy

Last edited:

garybo

Adventurer
PeterSel- same as Westyss said for Kym Bolton- wheel/hub/seal/brake- more like routine maintenance but not routine to get parts or knowledgeable service. Nothing major on engine or drive train.

gait

Explorer
Just some experiences of world wide parts availability.

Aus Canter in UK. Local Merc dealer had to ask Germany for part numbers and price for leaf springs (10 days for reply). Delivery where from and date needed an order placing. To place an order dealer wanted payment first (for unique vehicle). I imported from Aus myself so I could predict and track delivery. I had time to sea freight. Upgraded to parabolics at the same time. All up similar cost to UK dealer original springs.

For kingpin bearing and sticky free wheel hub Aus dealer emailed the parts diagram in a few hours, UK dealer didn't have access and would have to ask Germany. I air freighted a replacement after market camber kit from Aus through the wheel aligner that first fitted it. Hub parts from main dealer in Aus. Useful to have someone who understands the problems of long distance support at home to help organise. Of course now I've replaced one side I know the bearing manufacturers part number and size - about $10 over internet with next day delivery!

Standard parts like filters, bearings, seals, belts and hoses from general parts places once the cross reference is found. I expect something like a clutch plate would be easier from Fuso as its probably common to other Canters.

Probably most important thing I did was bring contact details for Mitsi dealer and after market suppliers from home, talk to them before I left about what I was doing, and have a friend close to them. I have only 2wd service manual on computer but a bit of help from friends provided the bit of 4wd manual I needed.

Re-assembly of free wheel hub didn't "feel" right and diagrams unclear. Happened to be the same hub that didn't work when I first purchased the vehicle and I was reluctant to use force. Forum contact from someone in PNG who maintains several Canters provided sensible useful info.

Even something apparently simple like wheel alignment check after king pin bearing replacement needed an understanding of the vehicle and how it was set up before leaving Aus.

Also useful has been a base to head for away from home.

I can do most repairs myself but if I have someone else do them I like to watch so I know what's been done and I know for next time.

Basically I concluded its nigh on impossible to predict what will fail and carry all the "what if" parts. After that its a combination of having reliable info, reliable contacts, a reliable way of delivery, and time. I'd go as far as suggesting carrying information about the vehicle (and camper) is more important than carrying parts.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Just some experiences of world wide parts availability.
Basically I concluded its nigh on impossible to predict what will fail and carry all the "what if" parts. After that its a combination of having reliable info, reliable contacts, a reliable way of delivery, and time. I'd go as far as suggesting carrying information about the vehicle (and camper) is more important than carrying parts.

Amen! There have to be some high-probability parts, such as belts, and the like, that are a no-brainer to carry, but after that.... I called 3 active dealers' shop managers about a likely-to-fail parts list, and got non-overlapping suggestions. Seems to me knowledge about the vehicle and preparation for procuring and shipping are likely to be more useful.

As an illustration: no one suggested drive shaft u-joints. What was the first and major failure on my FM260? Yep, drive shaft u-joint on one end of the transmission-to-transfer case drive shaft. I bought 2 and carry the extra — but I am also sure that this is superstitious behavior [like pressing the elevator button more than once.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman