Future Toyota 4x4s for the US Market

cruiser guy

Explorer
I've occasionally thought of buying a Land Cruiser pickup while we are here in Sierra Leone, going over it with the intent of fixing all the issues which will be there on any used vehicle in a country like Sierra Leone and then when we do finally return to Canada, bring the pickup along. I figure something in the early 2000's so it would just tip the 15 year mark to legally bring it in when we might return to Canada.

I'd far rather have a Land Cruiser pickup than a run of the mill F150 or similar domestic pickup.

peneumbra

Explorer
Modified Sequoias?

Has anyone here had experience with a Sequoia modified with Dana 60 (or similar) axles? I've seen a couple for sale on E-Bay...

Juntura

Observer
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruise...dCruiser70_WagonWorkMate_Prices_Specification

$59,900 Aussie dollars or $62,000 USD. Complete with diesel, manual trans, manual windows, and seating for 5. I would buy one today if it was available. I have also seen on this forum that the Middle East 70 Series have dashes that are very similar to our Tacoma complete with dual airbags and they have the 4.0 gas six. It seems that they have an engine that is already approved here and have dual airbags. Doesn't seem like a huge bureaucratic hurdle for Toyota.

On the mileage thing- while I know our cars are safer and more capable today I am blown away by how mileage has, in some regards, gone down over the decades. My first car was a 1966 F100 4x4 with a 352 v8, NP435 (granny 4 speed), 33" BFG mud terrains, 3.90 gears, and big heavy bumpers. I drove that truck for almost 100,000 miles and could easily get 15mpg on the highway if I kept it below 75 mph (68-70 mph was the sweet spot). Now I drive a 2004 F350 with a 5.4 V8, auto with overdrive, and 285 AT's. Best I can get now is around 14MPG- same sweet spot with the speed. I realize the truck is safer and more capable but for mileage to drop over almost 40 years is ridiculous. Same story with our cars. While I was restoring the F100 one year I bought a 1981 Toyota Tercel that got 30+ MPG all day long. Now my wife drives a Mazda6 which is bigger, but not that big. We get 20mpg around town and have never seen 30mpg on the highway. I just find it very disappointing.

When I bought my F350 I was shopping for Tacomas but I found them to be too big (I want them to back to the old or pre-Taco size) and I didn't think the mileage was all that great. The F350 is MUCH bigger but I got a smokin' deal when gas prices spiked a couple of years ago and my mileage isn't too much worse considering the $14,000 I saved over a used Taco with similar mileage/condition. Also my F350 seats 6 and has manual windows and vinyl floors!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the lines of this truck, but I think it's face (grill and headlights) is ugly

I used to think that, but it is growing on me...looks like a 100.

HDJ-100-nachher.jpg

Also looks to be roughly the size of the first gen Tundra, perhaps a smidge smaller.

396840_10150994936489630_558587064_n.jpg 5e8f99e054.jpg

and what's the deal with having a hoodscoop and a snorkel both?

pic of the intercooler (well the plastic beauty cover), Grimbo was referring to.

on a tacoma swap

302.jpg

103.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruise...dCruiser70_WagonWorkMate_Prices_Specification

$59,900 Aussie dollars or $62,000 USD. Complete with diesel, manual trans, manual windows, and seating for 5. I would buy one today if it was available. I have also seen on this forum that the Middle East 70 Series have dashes that are very similar to our Tacoma complete with dual airbags and they have the 4.0 gas six. It seems that they have an engine that is already approved here and have dual airbags. Doesn't seem like a huge bureaucratic hurdle for Toyota.

I wonder what the cost would be if they were built here? I don't think the Tundra factory is running at full capacity. :ylsmoke:

When I bought my F350 I was shopping for Tacomas but I found them to be too big (I want them to back to the old or pre-Taco size) and I didn't think the mileage was all that great. The F350 is MUCH bigger but I got a smokin' deal when gas prices spiked a couple of years ago and my mileage isn't too much worse considering the $14,000 minimum I saved over a used Taco with similar mileage/condition. Also my F350 seats 6 and has manual windows and vinyl floors!

Yeah you can get a lot more truck for the price of a Taco, and I feel the mileage is appalling for the size of it.

However, I do like the size of it....sure there are times I could use a fullsize, maybe 3-4 times out of the year. But every time I get into some tight spot out in the boonies, I am sure glad I have my little Taco...that and it is great for running around town. I truly thought I wanted a bigger truck, went test drove a Tundra last week...it is just too big, for my needs...maybe too big for my wants. :ylsmoke: Toyota really needs to step it up in the miles per gallon department, I think most of us are in agreement, that a diesel would cure that.

uzj100

Adventurer
Jeep grand Cherokee turbo diesel will be here in January with 8 speed auto. 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. Toyota needs to offer diesel in 4Runner.

Hopefully jeep doesn't make you buy the top line version to get the diesel. Laredo trim level with 4x4 and diesel would be about 36k.

Clutch

<---Pass
Jeep grand Cherokee turbo diesel will be here in January with 8 speed auto. 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. Toyota needs to offer diesel in 4Runner.

Hopefully jeep doesn't make you buy the top line version to get the diesel. Laredo trim level with 4x4 and diesel would be about 36k.

Supposedly the new Chevy Colorado is coming here, and have a diesel. Not the best looking thing, but an option if it is true.

Ford confirmed a diesel for their Transit van, does that mean we will get an F150 with a diesel? or perhaps the World Ranger rebadged as the F100?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Supposedly the new Chevy Colorado is coming here, and have a diesel. Not the best looking thing, but an option if it is true.

Ford confirmed a diesel for their Transit van, does that mean we will get an F150 with a diesel? or perhaps the World Ranger rebadged as the F100?

I have spoken to numerous Ford dealers, was just at the one of the largest Ford truck dealers last week and in contact with the Ford Truck Division fleet sales, and all said no diesel for the full size Transit van when released in summer of 2013, but maybe in the future. Do you have a link to something else?

Doug

Clutch

<---Pass
I have spoken to numerous Ford dealers, was just at the one of the largest Ford truck dealers last week and in contact with the Ford Truck Division fleet sales, and all said no diesel for the full size Transit van when released in summer of 2013, but maybe in the future. Do you have a link to something else?

Doug

For 2014

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/06/2014-ford-transit-offers-big-utility-with-ecoboost-and-diesel-po/

From Ford's press release.

In North America, customers can choose from several engines, including the proven 3.5-litre EcoBoost or a powerful diesel option; each features rear-wheel drive and at least 25 percent better fuel economy than a comparable E-Series. Multiple roof heights and wheelbases will be available. North American Transit vans will be manufactured in Kansas City, alongside the Ford F-150.

i know it costs $60K to buy a 70 series TLC in Aus. But all cars cost a lot more there, doesn't it?
If toyota could some how manage to produce 70's in North America(Canada/US/Mex), put in the exsisting 4.0L or 4.7L or 5.7L iforce and reduce the price a little bit, I think it could do well here.. just sayin

uzj100

Adventurer
The 23/33 figures are with 5 speed auto tranny and supposedly better with the 8 speed. The biggest challenge is the price tag, 35 to 40k, ok. However if they make you buy a overland edition at 52k, then that would not be cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger