FWC vs All Terrain Camper

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Impressive list of upgrades Stan, I've always been a FWC fan! :drool:

In regards to the phone vs internet argument I will say this: Picking up the phone and chatting about products, although personable and enjoyable for some, in no way replaces a good website with lots of pics and info backed up by good old fashioned salesmanship in every venue available... that is how it should be done!

If you want to compete, you need to get with the times and IMO, FWC is listening to their constituency.

lehel1

Adventurer
differences in fwc vs all terrain campers !!

the difference is one company copied the other right down to the roof rack, what a shame !!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks for the updates Stan. I look forward to seeing pictures of all this. When is that new website of yours due?

How well do these campers do in mountain winter climates? Wet heavy snow then way cold at night? I intend to use a camper at ski resorts and worry about the roof not opening with to much snow or using a bunch of fuel to keep it worm. Another concern is the canvas mold, mildew ect. When I go home it is usally raining so poping it up to dry it out is not an option. I do live in wetter (western) Washington.

adrenaline503

Explorer
How well do these campers do in mountain winter climates? Wet heavy snow then way cold at night? I intend to use a camper at ski resorts and worry about the roof not opening with to much snow or using a bunch of fuel to keep it worm. Another concern is the canvas mold, mildew ect. When I go home it is usally raining so poping it up to dry it out is not an option. I do live in wetter (western) Washington.

I'm the PNW too and that is why I am excited to see FWC hard side models...

dbolton

Observer
Well, I'll be able to speak to ski resort use after this season. Wife got us passes to Mammoth:wings:. About the biggest concern I have is having space to put the bulky wet ski stuff at the end of the day.

But I have used it for several winter nights in the mountains (10F is about the coldest I've seen), roof snow loads with little problem - I set the thermostat to the lowest setting and it cycles some but I worried more about the battery running the fan than the propane.

If you've got wet snow on top with the top lowered, you're going to be hard pressed to lift it.

HTH - Dan

Kodachrome

Observer
I live in a ski resort in Colorado, ride professionally, mountaineering too.

I cleared off some 6 inches of medium moisture content snow this AM and it was 12 degrees as the low. I use my large front fairing as a snow ramp if it accumulates while the roof is up. I simply clear a bit off of the front by standing on my small step-stool and then lower it sending more snow forward. I then clear the bulk of it and lower the back end and then clear the rack and around the solar panel and vent.

Even with the arctic Pack and Reflectix insulation around the pipes and the entire interior, the hoses still froze and the water in the tank started to freeze over the two day period. I will usually drain it when I am not on a mission, but I have only had my All Terrain Bobcat about 6 weeks so I am still in trials for bigger excursions. I also made window covers out of Reflectix and they help a ton.

I bought a couple of pad heaters that run off of 12 V DC that I intend to install under the tank in a manner that it will draw off of the 110V Aux or when the motor is running, not the camper battery it self.

I think when I am out in the field in cold weather, the combo of tank heaters and simply living in the rig will help keep the water from freezing. When I am sleeping, I set my thermostat somewhere at 45-55 depending on the temperature differential from outside. I also leave the cabinet under the sink open to allow the air to circulate in by the plumbing.

Bottom line, you have to clear any major or wet snow before lifting the roof. I have 32 days and nights in the camper now and while it is very good protection from the elements, the cold will fight you so you just have to fight back.

Last edited:

Kodachrome

Observer
Kodacrome any up dates about your camper in the snow and cold?

So far so good, when it gets below 15F for an overnight low, I go stealth mode and just sleep on the fold out couch, it really saves propane. The water tank is still an issue though, I have not got around to installing the heating pads. I am thinking about putting a secondary filler hole in the counter top so I can pour boiled water into the tank to hasten the melt off.

A few weeks ago, I forgot to drain the tank, it was 1/2 full and we had three days in a row where it got down to -15. It took me forever to thaw it out.

The Finch, Eagle, Fleet (wide body eagle), Hawk, Kestrel, Ranger, Grandby, & Keystone Models all have a 22 gallon fresh water tank.

Kestrel???
Did anyone else notice this? I saw it on the website the other day and now noticed it here too.
Whatever happened to the model for kei trucks that was on truck camper magazine?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
The Kestrel Model is basically the Hawk Model in all ways, shape, and form.

The Kestrel Model is just a lower profile version of the Hawk Model to better fit the 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab trucks (custom fit kind of thing).

We already feel we have too many models, so we don't list the Kestrel Model on the web site. It seems like it confuses more people that it helps.

It only applies to customers with the older "access cab" tundra trucks. When they come in to order, we let them know their options and see what might be best for them.

Once the new web site comes out we hope to better clairify all of the camper models and what trucks they will fit on. Our site is too vague right now. We are working on addressing this.

The Kolibri is available, I guess, if anyone wanted one. We have one in the racks we can sell right now. But it is a very specialized camper that doesn't really fit the trucks sold here in the US that are usually street / freeway legal. We built it for these mini, mini trucks ranchers and hunters use to go off road.

The Finch Model is going to be the more practical model we sell these days for customers here in the USA.

Details located here on the Kolibri ...

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=727&Itemid=66

Happy Holidays !

=======================================================

Kestrel???
Did anyone else notice this? I saw it on the website the other day and now noticed it here too.
Whatever happened to the model for kei trucks that was on truck camper magazine?

Thanks for clarifying that.

I figured the Kalibri wasn't going to be a big seller for you anytime soon but I applaud your effort. Perhaps a Japanese distributor?

Hopefully I'll be able to afford one of your products in the next few years.

LosAngeles

Bump to a 9 year old thread. :)

Been researching both FWC and ATC and i currently am of the conclusion that both are very good, FWC is a little more fancy and polished on the inside, and AWC is a little better value.

Thoughts? :)

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Hah, FWCs website update is 9 years late and counting. Unless their current site is the “updated” one...yeesh

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears