FWC vs Outfitter

theMec

Adventurer
For various reasons, we are leaning more towards a popup slide in. It appears the obvious lightweight choices are FWC/ATC and Outfitter. Outfitter is 40 minutes away so obviously I have to consider them. Yes, I know Outfitter is more expensive.

Looking at the specs, the FWC Hawk is 795# dry and the Outfitter Caribou 6.5 is 930#
but
the Caribou weight includes more standard options so looks like a wash weightwise.

What about holding up on 4x4 terrain? I know FWC does well. Has anyone heard about Outfitter? I did check out Wyoming Shooter's thread on his Apex 8 earlier this year. There wasn't much mention of 4 wheeling though.
Thanks
steve

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I think there is some good input in this thread, especially if you follow some of the links provided. Firsthand reports of taking an Outfitter "off-road." Although don't follow the Jesses Life link, it looks like his site has been hacked.

Here's a thread from RV.net and a family who took their Apex over the White Rim Trail in Utah. And here is another that made the same trip.

If you do a search on RV.net for "Outfitter Caribou", there are 43 matches. Somewhere in there should be some good info to help or confuse you even more.

:campfire:

marke

Hi, I have a FWC Hawk and love it. I have had it off road several times without any issues at all. 800 miles of gravel road to Purdhoe Bay, many off-highway roads in Death Valley and Utah. Granted I wasn't rock crawling or anything like that. No matter how light a pop-up is, it still has a much high center of gravity so you need to go slow. They are surprisingly tough units. I hit a patch of ice and hail in Utah and slid into a mountain side. The camper ripped all of the turn buckles off and bent the front bed rail and the cab but it had just a few dents and scratches. One piece of advice for any FWC owner, check the turn buckles OFTEN and use a lock nut to ensure they don't come loose. I learned this the hard way. A rather embarassing story to be told after lots of suds! Mark

Sir - I wish I could speak with the voice of experience but, circumstances have prevented me from using the Outfitter Apex 8 much yet this Wyoming spring. My sense is that the Outfitter is "more camper" than the FWC - more expensive, more heavy, more comfortable, more well equipped, more tall, more top heavy, requires more truck, etc. It's all good if you're into "more". Not so good if "less is more". What a country - choices! Best of luck to you. ELN

SunMan

Adventurer
I've got a Hawk and love it. I don't know anything about the Outfitter, it doesn't appear to be made for serious off road use and looks much heavier than a FWC. I'd bet it's all wood and particle board. Guess it depends on how you plan to use it.

FWC has been doing their thing for a long time and for good reason. Look around, you can find used one's reasonably priced. They still aren't cheap, but worth every penny IMHO.

theMec

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys. One thing I'm learning is that the weight on the web sites may not be accurate. So what looks like a lighter weight camper is not.

I had a chance to check a used Outfitter Caribou 6.5 at the Hallmark plant. (Yeah, it's nice to have 3 popup mfgs nearby.) There were some options on it but it weighed 1400#. The web site says the dry weight is 930#. The salesman showing me the camper said that the 930 was without benches, stove anything. Of course, he's a hallmark guy but he also wanted to sell me the camper. While I was there I checked out the Hallmark equivalent - the Milner. Pretty nice. What's the Milner weigh w/ the standard features? 1400#.
By the way, both of these were nice campers. Just too heavy for me. Add water, fuel, gear and people and I'm at my 2100# payload. Too much. Yes, I did ask why the Caribou was on the Hallmark lot. The roof leaked. So the customer traded it in for a Hallmark. That's what the sales guy said anyway. Nice saleman. No pressure at all.

So my next step, is to spec out a hawk or ATC equiv and figure out what the real live weight would be. Thanks.

theMec

Adventurer
SunMan said:
I've got a Hawk and love it. I don't know anything about the Outfitter, it doesn't appear to be made for serious off road use and looks much heavier than a FWC. I'd bet it's all wood and particle board.

Outfitter's claim to be "Fully welded aluminum frame" but I saw a lot of wood on the lower part. Maybe the aluminum frame is inside ... or not.

slooowr6

Explorer
Just a information point, my Bobcat, same as FWC Eagle, weights 800# with everything, propane, sleeping bag, fridge and etc., in it except water.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I don't know much about the Outfitter Campers, but that is what I have noticed too.

The Four Wheel Campers seem to be a bit smaller & lighter, lower profile, and more geared towards the durability / utility approach (a few steps up from tent camping).

The Outfitter Campers seem to be geared for the person who likes to go exploring, but have a little extra comfort at the same time.

I have talked with a few customers that own Outfitter Campers, and they all seem to be very happy with the purchase.

If you look at both campers in person you will find they are very different creatures.

It is best to do your homework and see what you like the best. Everyone is going to want something different. Like Wyoming Shooter said, it is nice to have choices !

====================================================

Wyoming Shooter said:
Sir - I wish I could speak with the voice of experience but, circumstances have prevented me from using the Outfitter Apex 8 much yet this Wyoming spring. My sense is that the Outfitter is "more camper" than the FWC - more expensive, more heavy, more comfortable, more well equipped, more tall, more top heavy, requires more truck, etc. It's all good if you're into "more". Not so good if "less is more". What a country - choices! Best of luck to you. ELN

Last edited:

SunMan

Adventurer
Wyoming Shooter said:
How much you wanna bet pard? :pROFSheriffHL:

No offense intended there Sherriff! Just an assumption due to the weight stats and what I've heard about other brands. You know what they say about ASSumptions, but wasn't tryin to be one!

theMec

Adventurer
Bob Ward, from Outfitter, replied to my mail about what the 930# dry weight includes (for the Caribou 6.5'). It includes the standard features on this page. ( http://outfittermfg.com/Campers/Caribou/Caribou_6-5/Caribou 6.5.htm )That's a lot of stuff. Unfortunately Outfitter does not offer a shell model so I can scratch them off the list - since I don't want all the "stuff".

The FWC Hawk spec says 700# dry weight. Anyone know what features 700# includes?
Thanks.

theMec

Adventurer
thanks rockcrawler, I didn't want to assume that std features where included in the 700. but when I look at the list of std features and estimate the weights, then add to the shell model, it's looks to be about 700. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998