FYI- BAJA NORTE VIOLENCE.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
A very sad reality…

“…the killers drove by and saw the foreigners' pickup truck and tents, and wanted to steal their tires. “Surely, they resisted,…and the thieves shot them to death.”

“…even experienced local expats are questioning whether it is safe to camp along the largely deserted coast anymore.

The moderator of the local Talk Baja internet forum, who has live(d) in the area for almost two decades, wrote in an editorial Saturday that “the reality is, the dangers of traveling to and camping in remote areas are outweighing the benefits anymore.”

(https://apnews.com/article/mexico-m...ican-surfers-94f03f0570312308a4989476435c3102)

gator70

True, but being capable of protecting yourself is much easier inside the border.
How? Two women and a infant child went to a New Mexico park. (USA state) The child was kidnapped and the two women were found dead. So how was that safer?

Markal

How? Two women and a infant child went to a New Mexico park. (USA state) The child was kidnapped and the two women were found dead. So how was that safer?
It's really pretty silly to think the level of danger in the US is similar to Baja and other parts of Mexico. Do horrible crimes happen in the US? Yes. But at a much, much lower rate. And most murders in the US are committed by acquaintances of the victim, not random.

I have certainly given up on the idea of traveling overland to any part of Mexico for the foreseeable future.

Wyo37

I never stated it was safer. I stated it is easier to defend yourself in the U.S., mainly because you can legally carry a firearm. More of course goes into self defense, but it certainly helps.

No reason to get overly emotional about this, I only stated a fact.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
It seems the land owner was killed in the same way earlier and his body was found along the other three victims. This was a crime spree with the same criminals repeating the killings on more than one occasion. Getting caught up in something like this is not a common occurrence to fear this reoccurs often. And the stupidity of the criminals to reuse the victims cell phone, lead to their capture. Did you notice how smart the Mexican authorities were to charge the criminals with kidnaping. Unlike US law enforcement would do. By charging the criminals with a oblivious and evidence available crime they can get a conviction easily. Buying the authorities more time to collect evidence of the murders. And in some cases authorities just lack convincing evidence for the act of murder.
Meth

ThePartyWagon

Well, there goes any chance of convincing my wife to travel Baja in our camper.

She has no problem flying into the tourist areas but remote camping, surfing and chasing roosterfish won't be happening like I've always dreamed of.

kerouac

Not to Hijack this thread or steer the conversation elsewhere but can anyone point me to reputable websites or blogs (or even within this forum) that can provide real world, on the ground info, about safety in the Baja? More specifically, purchasing a retirement home and not necessarily overlanding. We are looking at San Jose and La Paz.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Not to Hijack this thread or steer the conversation elsewhere but can anyone point me to reputable websites or blogs (or even within this forum) that can provide real world, on the ground info, about safety in the Baja? More specifically, purchasing a retirement home and not necessarily overlanding. We are looking at San Jose and La Paz.
Try the Chamber of Commerce, police departments for the areas of interest, make some phone calls to locals that provide social services since they usually know areas of need and dysfunction. You Mexican/Spanish must be excellent.

Now, back to the Mexican killing field stories.

lucilius

There are many many expat sites to be found with a trivial google/other search, that can provide some snapshots of successes, challenges and failures. IME, a lot of this, particularly the rosy success stories, correspond to the expat's wealth, not that there aren't a lot of folks doing the expat on a shoestring routine extremely well and maybe better IMHO. Spending a lot of time in the region prior to buying a house/land there would seem to be essential. This is probably not the standard approach these days but, especially given that your goal is real estate and not just a vacation, I would start by studying the history/geography/politics/industry/etc. of the region(s) of interest. Tumultuous local politics, large demographic shifts (influx or outflow), crime, and anything else that might change things for the local populations are essential to understand if you want to gauge the investment and security value of a place. I would also look for any long term presence of reputable international companies of all sorts who need reliable local workers, security, etc. Immediate border regions can be more dodgy when it comes to security with a higher transient population and illicit cross border trades of all sorts. The only website I know of where there is at least a notional disincentive to fail (all those gov employees need to keep getting promoted in order to retire at higher pay grades) to keep US citizens from coming into harm's way, e.g. being disinvited to embassy cocktail parties for a month, would be this: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
Jokes aside, this is always a good place to check and can be a jumping off point in your quest for knowledge. The Dept of State/US embassy is a great place that most folks don't use enough and probably one of the best repositories of local knowledge you can access from your desk in the US. Feel free to call them and ask for information and points of contact for real estate. IME, they are knowledgeable and professional. Remember, they work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger