Fzj62

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Rats! I was hoping that someone had combined an FZJ80 with a 62. Oh well....

FWIW these are "only" an FJ, there was no FZJ version. There were also BJ's and HJ's depending on engine and other non-U.S. options.

Suggest looking at the IH8Mud sub-forum devoted to these vehicles. The stickies at the top should prove most helpful.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
If it's on the up-and-up, i'd buy it. I would have it checked out my a reputable mechanic - one that's familiar with Cruisers, if possible.

Make sure all the electronics work (windows / locks / etc). FJ62s are notorious for electrical gremlins, that are hard to fix due to limited parts availability. Make sure the trans feels good and tight. I love my FJ62. His asking price is about what I would expect. I might try to get him off of about $1K because it looks like it needs some OME love in the suspension dept.

SCRover

Adventurer
thanks, jamie! i've only driven by the truck, so would obviously give it a good once-over and get it inspected. i agree, too, about knocking the price down closer to $5K.

spent the past 45 mins. perusing the 60/62 threads on MUD. great stuff on there. it's funny, if i didn't know better, i would have thought i was reading threads on LRs. very familiar discussions, advice, etc... all of us enthusiasts, regardless of our "poison," are in the same boat.

SLOwag

Adventurer
$5900 seems high

I would query the crowd on Mud, but my '84 has 190K on the odo and there are rigs to be found with less. Upgrades you'll need right away, are springs, I can see the sag from here and it is a noticeable improvement. Have fun in your search.

esh

Explorer
I dig the TJM alum bullbar. Looks clean. The electrical stuff isn't really that bad to deal with. The transmission health is the major issue these can have at that age, but there is excellent support in Australia if you had to rebuild. Most people start eyeing a 5spd swap instead. If you can, take it up to Mudrak's in Sonoma for a good opinion.

side note, there's at least one (truly) HZJ-62 in existence. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears