G-wagen Trip thru Australia - the new G-wagen Magazine

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Centerfold story in the new issue of the G-wagen Magazine:

A great G-wagen Adventure into the Australian Outback

The new magazine issue has arrived and will be send out to our subscribers very shortly!

If you like to subscribe or need to renew your subscription please visit:

http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/Pages/G-wagen Magazine.htm

thank you,

Karl Volger
Issue 10-2011.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor W

Adventurer
Can I follow this story without a paid subsciption??........I did read about how M-B took a few stock standard G-Wagens through a long trip in the Outback.....only had some shocks fail (badly) (new shocks flown in)......pretty good for stock vehicles in that environment, I should know because I'm there now!

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Can I follow this story without a paid subsciption??........I did read about how M-B took a few stock standard G-Wagens through a long trip in the Outback.....only had some shocks fail (badly) (new shocks flown in)......pretty good for stock vehicles in that environment, I should know because I'm there now!

MB OZ had a detailed daily blog on their website.

Also, more here:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...s-g-wagen-convoy-stranded-in-the-outback.html

One of the Australian motorsports mags also did a daily blog, but have since lost the link.

haven

Expedition Leader
Edmunds Inside Line had a correspondent on this trip. The video blog of the trip is available now

somesnowday

No wonder the shocks blew out, they were going 60 kph on those roads. All the damage was caused by the drivers themselves. Even the radiator leaking was the cause of a collision.

Long live the G. And when will we get the G professional state side?

-
Craig

reece146

Automotive Artist
Agree - if the driving depicted was typical and not "sexed up" for the video then I'd agree they were over-driving the conditions. The "blown out" damper they showed looks like it had an encounter with a fixed object, not worn out from overheat or whatever.

Sure, my radius armed Jeep can be driven across fresh plowed fields at high speeds without issue but then that is hardly a stock vehicle. I'd say the G's did really well given where they went.

$0.02

S Gilbert

Adventurer
Where is the adventure in air lifted parts and mechanics on staff to do your repairs for you? We have roads in British Columbia Canada that make that look like a Sunday drive.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Where is the adventure in air lifted parts and mechanics on staff to do your repairs for you? We have roads in British Columbia Canada that make that look like a Sunday drive.

You're right. Driving across oz is a Sunday drive compared to bc. Pffft.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader

Yes, the Aussies are so uncivilized. Using loud, noisy aircraft to deliver their parts instead of Brown UPS vans.....

traveller09

I have seen this posted on various forums and as someone is who is seriously considering upgrading to a G 500 I have a question. What is the difference between the G 500 US consumer model and the “Professional” model? I get the Professional is the preferred model but since I cannot obtain one here in the US maybe I could tweak a US G 500 to come close? I understand the Professional isn’t as luxurious, has a different engine, etc, but as far as the undercarriage what is the difference? I though they were the same or close to, but apparently not?

If the main thing that broke on the non professional version was the shocks, then what shocks and springs and anything else could be installed to beef the G up to match the professional’s off road performance? Or are there some major differences with the suspension as well?

Thanks

haven

Expedition Leader
The Professional and Edition 30.Pur are based on the 461 chassis, shared with the military G-Wagen. This chassis lacks the AWD and traction control systems of the G500, and also omits the fancy leather, wood and carpets used in the interior of the G500. The Professional uses a diesel engine, while the USA version of the G500 is available only with a gas engine. The G500 chassis is called the 463.

There's some talk about Mercedes making the Professional G-wagen available in USA. It seems likely that MBZ dealers would want to charge more for the Professional, even though it's less sophisticated than the G500.

I'm less sure about differences in the cargo capacity of the vehicles. It makes sense that the military version would have greater cargo capacity. The G500 has a cargo capacity of about 1500 lbs.

During the Canning Road trip, the shock mounts proved to be a weak point. It's not clear if this was due to a design flaw, or overly aggressive driving, or overloading.

chris505

Observer
Some more info

...This chassis lacks the AWD and traction control systems of the G500...

Beginning around 2001 the 461 chassis was changed from 460 frame and its part-time t-case to 463 frame and its full-time t-case with push button hi-low range and 3 diff lock buttons on the dash (Here is a 2003 NATO 461 for sale).

There's some talk about Mercedes making the Professional G-wagen available in USA. It seems likely that MBZ dealers would want to charge more for the Professional, even though it's less sophisticated than the G500.

The Professional is only minimally less sophisticated than the "luxury" versions, according to MBZ the diesel motor in the Professional costs a fair amount more to manufacture than the petrol V8.

I'm less sure about differences in the cargo capacity of the vehicles. It makes sense that the military version would have greater cargo capacity. The G500 has a cargo capacity of about 1500 lbs.

The heavy duty rear axle and rear sway bar found under the Professional increases its load rating to ~2300Lbs

During the Canning Road trip, the shock mounts proved to be a weak point. It's not clear if this was due to a design flaw, or overly aggressive driving, or overloading.

The rear shocks (not the mounts)of the "civilian" driven 463s with stock 18 inch wheels completely failed, one shock broke in half, possibly from a road hazard (large rock). However, the rear shocks on the MBZ tech driven 461 support vehicles with stock 16 inch wheels were undamaged.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the clarifications, chris505. What's your guess about availability of the G-Wagen Professional for USA?

X_Trippin

Observer
That was a cool video, I have always liked those vehicles. Where I live we usually see them running around "blinged out" with 22's on them, seems like a waste to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior