G-wagen Trip thru Australia - the new G-wagen Magazine

zimm

Expedition Leader
I have seen this posted on various forums and as someone is who is seriously considering upgrading to a G 500 I have a question. What is the difference between the G 500 US consumer model and the “Professional” model? I get the Professional is the preferred model but since I cannot obtain one here in the US maybe I could tweak a US G 500 to come close? I understand the Professional isn’t as luxurious, has a different engine, etc, but as far as the undercarriage what is the difference? I though they were the same or close to, but apparently not?

If the main thing that broke on the non professional version was the shocks, then what shocks and springs and anything else could be installed to beef the G up to match the professional’s off road performance? Or are there some major differences with the suspension as well?

Thanks

it has its place, but why do you consider it an upgrade? in comparison to what? is this a functional or social upgrade? (a wife that cooks and cleans, or one that gains you access, and looks awesome in pumps?)

i bought mine mainly because i think its neat, and liveable, unlike a defender which is neater but like driving an iron maiden. i hoped it would be an upgrade to an LC, but, that i cant say. its still very neat though. i can say the truck lineage is handy if youre gutting it to install travel/camping fitout.

chris505

Observer
...What's your guess about availability of the G-Wagen Professional for USA?

My guess is NO, I dont think many americans will shell out $80-100K for a G without sunroof, air conditioned/massaging seats, high end sound system, thick wool carpets, and 19" bling wheels.

traveller09

it has its place, but why do you consider it an upgrade? in comparison to what? is this a functional or social upgrade? (a wife that cooks and cleans, or one that gains you access, and looks awesome in pumps?)

i bought mine mainly because i think its neat, and liveable, unlike a defender which is neater but like driving an iron maiden. i hoped it would be an upgrade to an LC, but, that i cant say. its still very neat though. i can say the truck lineage is handy if youre gutting it to install travel/camping fitout.

Zimm-For me it is an upgrade from the LC, it is definitely neat. I don’t care about social status, although I do like the idea of owning something unique that you don’t see everyday. I really love the Defender 110’s with a 300 tdi engine (I dream about an ECR D110) and that is what I have been targeting until recently. I need to step back and balance what I want which is a “real” off-road vehicle that can take me about anywhere with the practicality and comfort of a daily driver (yes I get the G’s are not practical). Luckily we recently bought a new house and my commute has gone from 60 miles a day to 10, so I am not as worried about MPG as I used to be. My 1995 Land Cruiser has been a good vehicle, reliable, functional and I would consider getting another one but at the risk of getting flamed and sounding stupid it just lacks a soul, for me it is just blah. I like cars that tug at your soul, my 95 911 (last of air cooled) definitely does, Defenders and Series truck do, old LC’s do and the more I look at the G Wagens I think they do too. I have always loved the G’s like the defenders, but because of their price I never seriously considered one until now. They have their negatives, price, MPG, premium fuel and more electronics than I care for but overall but I really like what I see as far as being an incredible well made off-road vehicle, but nice fit and finishes that my wife will like going for ride in it as well. You don’t see them on the road that much and when you do they are always either stock or blinged out, I have NEVER seen one that was beefed up a little. Around here, if you took a G put a roof rack and ladder on it, maybe a slight lift (maybe not) and some all terrain wheels and tires on it, besides from a great off road vehicle, you would have a truly one of a kind vehicle. It may be an ego thing but I confess that does appeal to me. When I drive my 911, I don’t like being noticed or I should say I don’t like standing out (I don’t want attention), but it is pretty cool when little boys and 45 year old men stop, smile and give you a thumbs up. They get it.

After reading over what I just wrote it kind of sounds like I am just looking for something cool to look at versus a capable off-road vehicle. The point I was trying to make is I want a capable off-road vehicle but I want something that is more than just a capable off-road vehicle.

PS Nothing wrong with a wife that cooks, cleans and looks awesome in pumps! :)

otiswesty

Regular guy
the more I look at the G Wagens I think they do too. I have always loved the G’s like the defenders, but because of their price I never seriously considered one until now. They have their negatives, price, MPG, premium fuel and more electronics than I care for but overall but I really like what I see as far as being an incredible well made off-road vehicle, but nice fit and finishes that my wife will like going for ride in it as well. You don’t see them on the road that much and when you do they are always either stock or blinged out, I have NEVER seen one that was beefed up a little. Around here, if you took a G put a roof rack and ladder on it, maybe a slight lift (maybe not) and some all terrain wheels and tires on it, besides from a great off road vehicle, you would have a truly one of a kind vehicle. It may be an ego thing but I confess that does appeal to me.

Ya, you need to get a Gwagen

Attachments

• Requeson.jpg
    Requeson.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 9
  • LaVentana.jpg
    LaVentana.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 8

zimm

Expedition Leader
i hear ya. its about the same for me.

functionally its not an upgrade, though.

i'm not saying dont get one, mind you. i aint selling mine for an 80. i'm currently sinking plenty of time into it. i'm just saying, if you think is more comfortable or more capable, it isnt.

it does have better leather though! they must feed those cows black teflon or something. the seats just dont wear out. ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior